The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.
Meet other eBay Community members who share your interests and passions.
Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!
The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers
The single source of information for new and professional sellers
Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.
on 09-28-2012 11:04 AM
Hello, I'm having a bit of trouble with a buyer.
I have sold him a 100 percent functional and fully tested digital point and shoot camera. I have tested this camera to ensure it was in working condtion and it worked great.
However, the buyer is stating that there is some pink hue on the screen and the pictures are poor quality. I know that for a fact that there was NO pink hue on the screen and the pictures were very good qulaity when I tested it.
I told him to check the settings, since he may not know what he is doing with the camera. Since he last replied it was about 2-3 weeks until today stating that the camera doesn't work right, it has pink hue and poor image quality.
I know for a fact that camera was perfect when I sent it out and I packed the box extremely well. He stated that he would like a refund, but I'm affraid that he may be trying to scam me by sending me back an empty box or such since he wont send until the refund is in his paypal. I have told him that when he purchased this item that he agreed to the "no refunds or exhanges" policy I have set for the ad.
Whatever was done to the camera was third party and NOT by me. I told him that it may of been damaged durring shipping, he could of dropped the camera, or just doesn't know what he's doing.
What is the next thing to do if he starts getting angry and threatens me with bad feedback? I'm a little worried since I have always sold working and good quality items and never had a problem until now.
Thanks for the help! Us sellers have to protect our selfs as well.
on 09-28-2012 11:08 AM
Your "No Returns" won't work here. Buyers have 45 days of buyer protection and can simply file a dispute to get a refund. Disputes count against sellers so you don't want to force the buyer to file.
You DO NOT refund until you receive your item. Ask the buyer to return the camera for a full refund. If he doesn't then he won't get a refund. If he files a dispute he won't get a refund until the camera is returned.
on 09-28-2012 11:07 AM
well ebay POLICY: Everyone has a 45 day Return policy buyer pays return shipping with delivery confermation.
so if this person opens a case against you ebay will tell them to return it for a FULL refund Original Price+Original shipping.
on 09-28-2012 11:18 AM
if he files a dispute soon (before the 45 days expire) then he will likely win and get a refund. Then there is always the chance that he will attempt a chargeback if he funded the payment with a credit card which can happen and more time is allowed for that.
Look at your listings. Do you see the "Buyer Protection" shown in your listings? Read it so you know how it works.
on 09-28-2012 11:46 AM
He waited almost a month to write back saying all these things and I know I wont get it back in the same condition I sent it in.
Absent a dispute, you have the option of sending it back to the buyer, or giving him a partial refund depending on the item's condition. This would fall within the realm of a private matter between you.
But as pointed out, if the buyer funded his payment via a credit card, he may still be able to do a chargeback outside of eBay's Resolution Center. The chargeback notice would come via PayPal, and it's something you don't want to ignore.
on 09-28-2012 11:34 AM
A seller's No Refunds policy might prevail in the case of buyer's remorse.
But once a buyer files a dispute claiming the item he received wasn't as described in the listing, then the buyer has the upper hand in the Resolution Center.
Neither eBay or PayPal will bother with he/said~she/said situations... they obligate the buyer to return the item, after which the seller is obligated to refund.
on 09-28-2012 11:15 AM
If the buyer files an Item Not As Described dispute against you, your No Refunds policy goes out the window... the Resolution Center sides with buyers almost 100% of the time, regardless of the seller's published terms.
And forcing a buyer to go to the extent of filing a dispute is usually a good way to guarantee a negative feedback:-(
You're better off telling the buyer to return the item (on his dime), & you'll refund in full once you get it back in the condition you shipped it to him.
Sellers aren't expected to refund until their items are returned, so even if the buyer does file a dispute, he'd have to return it first. If he returns an empty box or a box full of junk, eBay has an appeals process for sellers to use.
on 09-28-2012 11:09 AM
There is no such thing as no refunds on eBay. If he opens a case against you eBay will force you to give his money back for the item and shipping 'buyer protection'. Best ro ask him to send it back to you with delivery confirmation. Once you get it refund his money. He must use his money to send it back.
on 09-28-2012 11:15 AM
Ok thanks everyone. Don't make sense that there is a no refund option on ebay if everyone has a refund, its kind of point less. Well its already been a month, if he takes a few weeks to respond or to do anything, then he can't ask for a full refund right?
on 09-28-2012 11:24 AM
I guess I'm kind of screwed. He waited almost a month to write back saying all these things and I know I wont get it back in the same condition I sent it in.
The problem is that he waited SO long to tell me he may want a refind and I may not have the funds to do it right now. I'm pretty broke, I make most of my money from ebay and because he waited so long, I've used some of that money for other things.
If he told me that he wanted a refund a few days after he bought it, then no problems, I would of done it. But unfortunately, I'm running low on funds.
Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it.