eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How to screw ebay buyers 101

So I bought a set of tires on ebay. Seller specified paypal only for payment and he would give the paypal address when the auction was over. I didn't think anything about it and won the auction for $435 with shipping. Ebay's checkout system wouldn't let me use paypal only said to contact seller so I did and he sent me a paypal money request. I was a little concerned with scams so I asked him to send a confirmation through ebay messaging that he had sent the request and what email address he used and he did so.

I paid him and received the tires, but they were not nearly the "like new" tires with "only 1000 miles" on them that he'd advertised so I filed a dispute. He basically wouldn't do anything so I escalated it to a claim and left appropriate feedback. Ebay found in his favor and removed my feedback because they said I hadn't paid for the item WHEN I HAD. The seller even admitted as such in the back and forth comments on the dispute.

After calling Customer Service I was transferred to Trust & Safety then to the Resolution Center then the the Resolution Appeal Center where, after over 2 hours on hold and transferring, I was told I was SOL since ebay's buyer protection doesn't cover payments made outside ebay. Well, the auction said payment via "visa, mastercard" and that there WAS ebay buyer protection so what if I'd called the guy and paid via credit card over the phone? I'd still be SOL. The kicker is that since the case was already closed they won't reinstate my feedback so the guy can keep on running his scams on future bidders.

So FYI if you wanna rip people off with no repercussions, just put credit cards as the accepted payment method and do a paypal transaction outside ebay. Then you can screw people at will and they won't even be able to leave bad feedback.

Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

Re: How to screw ebay buyers 101

in reply to tss-ms
Not saying that you deserved to have your money taken from you, but you willingly completed a sale outside of ebay. As far as they are concerned, you are on your own. You shouldn't have sent the money directly to the seller. Honestly, you shouldn't have gone through with this transaction at all. Seller was showing red flags from the get go.

Did you fund the payment with a credit card?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to babylove80jr

Why buy tires here.   The shipping is outrageous. You paid at least 50 to 100 dollars for the shipping on those tires. You could have gotten better tires, mounted and balanced for that money. LOOK for sales and coupons.  Anyway, you basically screwed yourself.  Did you try calling the credit card company?  Try that. 

NExt time you can't pay through Ebay, do not do this again.   Report that seller for violating the ebay rules.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tss-ms

tss-ms wrote:
Well, the auction said payment via "visa, mastercard" and that there WAS ebay buyer protection so what if I'd called the guy and paid via credit card over the phone? I'd still be SOL. The kicker is that since the case was already closed they won't reinstate my feedback so the guy can keep on running his scams on future bidders.

So FYI if you wanna rip people off with no repercussions, just put credit cards as the accepted payment method and do a paypal transaction outside ebay. Then you can screw people at will and they won't even be able to leave bad feedback.

Paying with a credit or debit card processed  processed through the seller's internet merchant account is an approved method of payment.

Paying the way you did is not.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to takikawa4

if you wanna rip people off with no repercussions, just put credit cards as the accepted payment method and do a paypal transaction outside ebay. Then you can screw people at will and they won't even be able to leave bad feedback.

Well, that's totally true. Any ebay buyer that accepts a paypal transaction that isn't tied to a Paypal account's email address embedded in the listing they won is begging to be scammed. You played right into it. You paid through a paypal account that was not identified IN the listing.

You accepted a paypal invoice that was sent from paypal's Send Money tab. In effect, you sent your money to a total stranger with no tracibility to the eBay listing you won.

eBay can't protect you if you don't follow their process. You didn't. eBay looked at the listing and saw, quite rightly, that there was NO record of you sending money to satisfy the listing's transaction.

Please use plain text.
uvclinic_narrowband_uvb_lamps_for_psoriasis_vitiligo_eczema
Community Member

in reply to tss-ms

If you paid with a credit card ask your bank to cancel the transaction.

tss-ms wrote:

So I bought a set of tires on ebay. Seller specified paypal only for payment and he would give the paypal address when the auction was over. I didn't think anything about it and won the auction for $435 with shipping. Ebay's checkout system wouldn't let me use paypal only said to contact seller so I did and he sent me a paypal money request. I was a little concerned with scams so I asked him to send a confirmation through ebay messaging that he had sent the request and what email address he used and he did so.

I paid him and received the tires, but they were not nearly the "like new" tires with "only 1000 miles" on them that he'd advertised so I filed a dispute. He basically wouldn't do anything so I escalated it to a claim and left appropriate feedback. Ebay found in his favor and removed my feedback because they said I hadn't paid for the item WHEN I HAD. The seller even admitted as such in the back and forth comments on the dispute.

After calling Customer Service I was transferred to Trust & Safety then to the Resolution Center then the the Resolution Appeal Center where, after over 2 hours on hold and transferring, I was told I was SOL since ebay's buyer protection doesn't cover payments made outside ebay. Well, the auction said payment via "visa, mastercard" and that there WAS ebay buyer protection so what if I'd called the guy and paid via credit card over the phone? I'd still be SOL. The kicker is that since the case was already closed they won't reinstate my feedback so the guy can keep on running his scams on future bidders.

tss-ms wrote:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to babylove80jr

I didn't complete the sale outside ebay. I won it on ebay. Buying something outside ebay would be like if I made an offer and paypal'd the money without winning the auction. I simply PAID outside of ebay. The ebay auction says the seller accepts visa & mastercard. I guess if I'd paid him directly with either of those I'd be SOL then too? As long as we all know that I did pay, how I paid shouldn't matter especially when I did actually use paypal.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to quiltgeek

And if I've confirmed through that it is the seller that sent the money request? And if the seller confirms in the ebay dispute process that not only did he receive my money but that I received the items? As long as there is no dispute that the legit ebay seller did receive money for an ebay transaction then what good reason exists to deny all ebay buyer protection?

Please use plain text.
fruitacres
Community Member

in reply to tss-ms

Even though you used paypal you paid OUTSIDE the listing.  eBay has no proof you paid.  It would be the same as if you called the seller on the phone and gave him your cc number-  not an accepeted method. (but as stated by another a seller online merchant account is fine)

the seller was supposed to have his listing set up to accept paypal or some other approved online method through standard checkout.

This sig intentionally left blank

Please use plain text.
myangelandmyprincess
Community Member

in reply to fruitacres

you should have protection with paypal as long as the reason for payment was for goods and not something like gift.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tss-ms

tss-ms wrote:

I didn't complete the sale outside ebay. I won it on ebay.

"Winning it" doesn't complete the process.

Why haven't you filed a "Not as described" complaint with PayPal? Why haven't you contacted your CC company?

Please use plain text.
teddybull
Community Member

in reply to tss-ms

You have 30 days to cancel a transaction thru your credit card. Call your credit card company the number is on the back of the card

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to teddybull

A)  File a Paypal claim - as another user said, Paypal has their own Paypal buyer protection.

B)  If that doesn't work, simply file a credit card dispute.  You will win.

Please use plain text.