eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member
Difference between USPS Parcel Select and Standard Post?

Using TurboLister, I want to offer buyers the option of shipping via Priority Mail and a less expensive option. 

My box weighs 3 lb. 1 oz. and measures in inches:  17 x 12 x 11.  Turbo Lister lists Parcel Select under its Economy Services, and under Standard Services, it offers First Class Mail (which obviously would not apply). 

The USPS website's "Calculate a Price"  only lists Standard Post as the economical option, no mention of Parcel Select.

Which one is correct?  What is the difference?

Other Answers: 11
bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Since the latest price changes on January 27, the service formerly known as Parcel Post is now called Standard Post (retail, i.e., at the Post Office) and Parcel Select (online, including eBay labels).

The USPS website shipping calculator doesn't show Parcel Select because you can't print postage for it through USPS Click N Ship. But Parcel Select is the price that's shown in eBay the shipping calculator (which won't even do Standard Post at all) and the price charged for eBay labels.

There are several tiers of pricing for Parcel Select. The eBay price is the "Nonpresort" pricing shown on page 21 of the official USPS rates publication, "Notice 123":

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Parcel Select is available  only online, Standard Post is available only at the post office.

LC

“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
centerhill73
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Unless a package is very bulky, Parcel Select is usually more expensive than Priority Mail, and is WAY slower. Also, Priority Mail has free insurance and free boxes.

Why anyone would consider Parcel Select is beyond my imagination.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Really?  Buy a $30-$40 USPS approved postal scale in order to sell a half dozen $5-$10 items this year?  Hmmmm.  I'll have to think about that.  I guess I could sell the scale on eBay later this year when I'm all done.  Doesn't seem very cost effective, though, and I don't have space to store it (reason for selling stuff now). 

Thanks anyway for your advice. :-)

bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Buy a scale. 

Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Definitely go for the scale! Once you print the labels at home you simply drop them off at the Post Office, and then you won't have to wait in line. Lord knows how crazy those can be! Currently there are some viable options that are less than $20 including free shipping. Plus, you're right; When you find that you don't need the scale any longer, I'm sure eBay can find it a good new home... Good luck in your selling future!

johnsattic
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Parcel Select is a mailing option which you can use for the lowest possible rate through the eBay label printer as an eBay member, a negotiated rate between USPS and eBay that you can only access through eBay, not through the USPS site.

Wish my fingers would pay closer attention to what I spell correctly.
gentlespiritofthefather
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

ACCORDING TO USPS.........parcel select is commercial postage offered by Ebay.........standard parcel is RETAIL parcel.........usually parcel select is less expensive...........but not as great as the old parcel post

Ebay offers only Parcel select in their labels you can print at home........so that is what i offer my customers

Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Your package is too heavy for First Class Mail.

You can offer Parcel Select as the Economy Service option. However, you will need to print a shipping label on eBay.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247
Take a look at Stamps.com. They offer a free scale and up to $50.00 in free postage.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to semb1247

Thanks for all the answers so far.  That rate chart is great; I've bookmarked it.

Since I don't have an accurate-enough scale, I use Click 'N Ship to print labels and then take my package to the Post Office to weigh and to pay for postage. 

What do you recommend?  Should I select "Parcel Select" as the option in TurboLister, and then pay the "Standard Post" rate at the P.O. counter?  From the chart, Standard Post is a little higher than Parcel Select.  I guess I could add a little bit in the handling fee box for TurboLister. . . . ?