eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
northcaver
Community Member
how do I get rid of pop up ads when viewing ebay?

When surfing Ebay I am constantly "under attack" from animated pop up ads, sometimes on one side my screen, other times on both sides of the screen, sometimes they will even block what I am viewing.  Only one of them has had a little "x" where I can close out the ad,  I cant find how to shut down the others,..the one with the cockroach is especially annoying! :-( 

Not only do I find them distracting, but the peripheral activity actually makes me nauseous and I dump out of Ebay in a short hurry, I wonder how many other potential customers are doing the same thing.

Also especially annoying is the deluge of "similar" items  that innundate my page, Ebay seems to think they need to constantly shove those in my face, I do think that I have figured out how to hide most of those.

Makes me feel like I am in Walmart with all of those blasted and annoying audio/video adds goin on in every aisle...one more reason I stay out of Walmart as much as possible.

If this is not an Ebay thing, a virus? Always different ads

Other Answers: 45
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

NOW, they have "x number of people have viewed this item in the last hour" WOW, Ebay, are you trying to piss people off? We do NOT NEED ANOTHER annoying pop up window! It is right in our face, blocking the view of the item! WTF?! How greedy are you people?! How much more revenue will that annoying pop up get you?! There is a HUGE opportunity for another company to come in and start an auction site that doesn't treat their customers like Bank Of America, Verizon, Time Warner and Best Buy!! 

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Hi Ebay If you dont stop these annoying pop up ads on sides of page I will stop using ebay and switch to Amazon

This is really getting beyond a joke

rock_hard_bronco
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Just boycott them  IM not going to go back on or buy anything  till they get rid of all of them  the old way was the best way

I am telling all my friends and family

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Ebay now has a new pop-up that opens from the right of the screen and reads "What others also considered based on this item."

This popup is extremely annoying and just started the first of May and is found when using a couple versions of Firefox. You can force it to recede back into the sidebar, but as soon as I look at another product it pops out from the right side of the screen.

Please, please, please - how can I stop this annoying ebay ad?

thanks

drg

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

It's not ebay. I started getting these annoying ads popping up only recently. If you go into your control panel, programs & features you may find as i did that a recent download had installed an unwanted attachment called browsesmart. I uninstalled this & the ads have stopped. Hope this helps. 

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

These annoying continuous pop-ups are driving me crazy. Checking with other users locally, they all dislike them. It is putting me off Ebay. Please stop them before you lose credibility.

Mass exodus from Ebay coming if something is not done.

silverstrad
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Have you run a good  malware cleaner such as Malwarebytes?

It would be a good idea to do so.

And you might try Firefox with AdBlock. You will get no ads or popups then

grandpatexhelp
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Centerhill,

We're talking about advertisements, not pop-ups.

Pop ups are necessary on the eBay site. They can be anything from the Browse pop-up on the listing form to the Enlarge pop-up on an item page.

You have to run with your browser's pop-up feature unchecked for all eBay functions to work properly.

Advertisements are a different story.

The best defense against ads is to run one of the newer high speed web browsers, such as Firefox, which doesn't allow advertisements.

Firefox with the Ad Block Plus add on works perfectly.

And, it never hurts to run a good clean up tool every once in a while, like Malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Answer center posts are no longer in chronological order,making it difficult to answer a question in a step by step fashion. If the thread doesn't make sense, click on the Most Kudos link, above, and select Newest First. Be sure to check for hidden comments to see if the OP has returned with valuable information that may affect the final outcome.
lovejunky2011
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

I recently had to update my mozilla because hotmail outlook requested it...you think you would be safe NO. The program that is causing all your pop ups is on your Installed program page as MOZILLA MAINTENANCE SERVICE...Control panel... Uninstall a program   bang its gone

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

NOW, they have "x number of people have viewed this item in the last hour" WOW, Ebay, are you trying to **bleep** people off? We do NOT NEED ANOTHER annoying pop up window! It is right in our face, blocking the view of the item! **bleep**?! How greedy are you people?! How much more revenue will that annoying pop up get you?! There is a HUGE opportunity for another company to come in and start an auction site that doesn't treat their customers like Bank Of America, Verizon, Time Warner and Best Buy!!

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Try setting your browser to block pop ups. If you are using Internet Explorer, try changing to Mozilla Firefox. It is much quicker and I never get popups.

my*quiet*place
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Seconding the Malwarebytes - it very mush sounds like your computer is inundated with Adware "junk"

beanfan
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Horrible way to treat their sellers with all of these ads, we are selling, we pay fee's, this is wrong

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will try those suggestions

22joshua
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

It has nothing to do with ebay it is a virus!!! these r the apps that you need to uninstall and or recover cp in order to fix. I fixed ming today! 3/11/14 Everything on the left of chart get rid of it. CONDUIT SEARCH BROWSER is responsable for this virus and VLC player also asks for all the add ons that open you up for more attacks! HOPE THIS HELPS!

DesktopWeatherAlerts

DMUninstaller

PursuePoint

Search Protect

Secure Download Manager

TidyNetwork

CONDUIT SEARCH BROWSER

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

am sick of these ads  of your site or am closing my account with you thank you

cloth
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

From a purely marketing perspective, WHY would ebay put CLICKABLE ad Links to OFFsite products taking people OFF ebay...Makes NO sense

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

For Google Chrome with AdBlock extension, here is a solution.

My son was able to fix this annoying problem for me by right clicking the little popup and click block this ad, then when the ad blocker slider comes up just slide it 3/4 of the slider to the following blocked element below:

Blocked element:
<DIV
id="ghn-pop-251309773050"
class="ghn-pop-i" >

After doing so you will need to make sure to check all the little check marks on the next dialog box and click block it. Continue to do this for every page it appears on such as myebay,messages, sell, dailydeals.....anything where the contents of an entire page changes. Once you manage to block all the elements, the popup will not even come up. Once you have successfully done this for every page then the pop-up will never even show up. This is very annoying and there should be a easier way to turn this feature off.

This method also seems to work for the x people viewing this item.

ezpilot
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Screw Ebay...shop Amazon.  Better products and the same prices.

elblasto66
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

I just looked under uninstall programs on my control panel.  I hit the top of the column to see what had been installed with the most current date.  I found "fuun deals".  I deleted it and the ebay ads stopped.  I do not know if ebay is doing or if they are under attack.  It did solve the problem.

little_chup
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

This works perfectly for Chrome:

At the top right click the three orange lines (Chrome control panel)

Click on Tools, while clicked on tools the choose extensions.

In the extensions, there will a program you did not install, remove it by clicking on the bin (asks you to remove? =>yes)

Problem solved.:smileylol:

jkne7288
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

how do i stop the adverts on e bay

johninverter
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Hi,

I have had the same problem it drove me mad but a friend said try apples safari search engine for windows it works when you open tools window the box is already ticked to stop pop ups.

Regards   johninverter

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

"Mega Browse" is one of those responsible for some of the pop-ups that slide out from the side and cover up what you're trying to look at.  That one somehow got on my computer.  It's not ebay.  Go into your control panel and see if "Mega Browse" is listed in your start up items.  If it is, click it and uninstall it.  Worked for me.  Good luck!      CCC

sweet*little*things2000
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to northcaver

I have NO CLUE why on Earth there is a "Tell us what you think" link, because I told them several times, and I am sure others have too. THEY DON"T GIVE A RAT's **bleep** WHAT WE THINK!  Why the wasted link???

I have been a VERY HEAVY traffic user since 2000, both buying and selling. If they start scaring off people like me, they will be so screwed.  For now, WE are screwed!  I hate this "united states of corporate america" **bleep**!  Several times a day we are slapped with bilking and bullying from powerful business entities with NO COMPETITION!  We need a NEW EBAY for THE PEOPLE.  My last sale, cost 35 in fees for a 208 item!  THEN they "held" the money, EVEN the SHIPPING-making me ship at my own expense until it was released a week AFTER the buyer got and left positive feedback for the doll.  I make dolls.  I don't make ten a month!  One two weeks earlier went for over 300 and the buyer loved it. How is this not worth more to them than selling ten combs a month? They need to look at positive transactions in terms of closing bid price too, not just oodles of auction items.  Jeez!

Always watching for a way out. I sell such niche items though. We need thousands of doll sellers to create the market for our items on a new site.

THE BLUE POP UP that slides in ON TOP OF THE ITEM PIC is Ebay's OWN **bleep**.  I feel like they hate us.

northcaver wrote:

When surfing Ebay I am constantly "under attack" from animated pop up ads, sometimes on one side my screen, other times on both sides of the screen, sometimes they will even block what I am viewing.  Only one of them has had a little "x" where I can close out the ad,  I cant find how to shut down the others,..the one with the cockroach is especially annoying! :-( 

Not only do I find them distracting, but the peripheral activity actually makes me nauseous and I dump out of Ebay in a short hurry, I wonder how many other potential customers are doing the same thing.

Also especially annoying is the deluge of "similar" items  that innundate my page, Ebay seems to think they need to constantly shove those in my face, I do think that I have figured out how to hide most of those.

Makes me feel like I am in Walmart with all of those blasted and annoying audio/video adds goin on in every aisle...one more reason I stay out of Walmart as much as possible.

If this is not an Ebay thing, a virus? Always different ads

jkne7288
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

follow this to remove- http://right-coupon.com/uninstall.html

jkne7288
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver
Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

Sorry to hear that. You should be careful that if the ads are not provided by ebay, you may get infected with adware programs that can display ads to mislead you into buying useless products. Your situation is kind of similar to http://blog.doohelp.com/complete-guide-to-get-rid-of-remove-websteroids-popup-virus/  You can read this article and get more information about your ads.

tiger73151
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to northcaver

You can block "pop up ads" in your Browser settings, and now you can even block all the annoying ads with Ad Blocker.. I use the Firefox browser and I hated the annoying animated banners ads flashing at the head of my auctions, Ad Block stops them cold!

In Firefox you click the Firefox banner in the top left corner, a dropdown menu appears you will see a number of links on the right hand side , scroll on the "Options" and a box opens, scroll across to the "options" link and click it. Go to the "Content" link and click it, then check the box that says" Block pop up windows" click "ok" and you are all set.

In Interbet Explorer, go to the tools link (looks like a Gear), click the  "Internet options" tab and then the "Privacy' tab  check the tab "Turn on Pop Up Blocker" click Apply and then OK and then exit. That should give you some relief! Then use a search and find the Ad Block.

What ever you do, Never download anything that offers the "Conduit Search " toolbar unless you have the option to not down load it, that toolbar will take over your computer! And it's almost impossible to get rid of it, and it infects your registry! And Registry cleaner programs cant even remove it! (I In fact, I had to reformat my hard drive and reload everything when it happended to me! )

Community Member
Answered
in reply to northcaver

IT IS A BIG DISTRACTION AND TURN OFF.... ANNOYING **bleep** almost blocking 1/2 of page. I just log out it is driving me NUTS !! I'll go browse somewhere else and come here to compare prices only.