eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
How can I turn off the popup-like notifications that I get when trying to view an item?

They say things like "3 people recently watched this" or "5 people are viewing this item per hour" and I do not care and it's making me hate eBay. I am using Chrome.

Other Answers: 24
drtebi
Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

As mentioned by cigamit this can be turned off with the help of the AdBlock extension.

Follow this procedure for Chrome:

If you haven't installed AdBlock yet, do so first by going here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en

Once installed, follow these steps to block the blue pop-ups on eBay:

- In Chrome, click the Settings button on the top right

- Choose "Settings"

- In the Settings window, click "Extensions" on the left side

- Find the "AdBlock" entry in the extensions list and click "options"

- Click the blue "Customize" tab

- Click the "Edit" button (next to "Manually edit your filters")

- In the text field below the button, enter the following:

ebay.com##div.vi-notify-cmp

- Click Save

- You can now close the Settings/Extensions tabs.

- Load or reload any eBay ad and see the magic happen.

Credits for the solution go to cigamit who posted the custom extension filter; I just thought it might be useful to provide step-by-step instructions. These probably work just the same for Firefox.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

YES! Ebay please turn these pop-ups off. I love it when they show up over the picture of the item. How do all you sellers feel when there is a pop-up over the item you are trying to sell?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

You guys need to make phone calls to customer support, and make suggestions to remove that thing. Otherwise I don't think they are monitoring forums. I just called, took less than 3 minutes. I really hate those blue popup messages. It's the stupidest things that ebay has done.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

They are driving me nuts.  Hate 'em.  Make them go away.  Using FF.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

I see this too and it really serves no purpose but in order for you to think it's going to go fast just because more people are viewing it per hour..

I think it really looks tacky and I wish we are given the option to remove it.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

Agreed with everyone here.  For the love of god turn these notifications off or give us the option to do so.  

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

Yes, they are extremely annoying.  I blocked them with adblock, just make a custom rule like so

ebay.com##div.vi-notify-cmp

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

Those pop up's are not right, we did not ask for them.  EBay turn off these annoying pop up's or I will have to find another source other than eBay to sell my items!  I think if everyone feels the same we should boycott eBay!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire
So now we have an ebay search system that not only returns a MASSIVE number of results that don't even have the search terms in them, but now the put this annoying pop up crap in there. I find myself looking at backpage and craigslist more and more these days. Yahoo.com has been mostly destroyed because they failed to listen to their customers...
Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

I'd really like to see these turned off as well.  They make it difficult to view the images of the item, they reappear when the page refreshes even after you've clicked the X to turn a particular one off, and overall they're so irritating that I'm considering shopping Amazon instead.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

bloody annoying, often that stupid blue box covers something I am trying to read

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to single_fire

I hate them too! I use iPad, and there is no way to turn them off, and the corner x is so small that they are really hard to close. Boy do I miss the Auction Web days!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

These popups are so annoying...and it gets more annoying when you are spending an afternoon shopping and trying to buy things and everything I opened, they pop up...I started looking at Amazon, and they don't have the popups and their prices were in line and also sometimes cheaper...so now, before I start shopping ebay, I shop amazon first...there are just way too many proprietary annoying "things" (like the popups) with ebay....I use ebay to see what the completed listings sold for, then I go to Amazon to buy...if I can't find it at Amazon, then I come back to ebay...but I find myself buying more from Amazon these days cuz of ebay's annoyances....

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

It really is awful.  The fact that it covers the picture and you are forced to close it in order to see the picture properly is so ruthless and un-customer friendly-- and of course it would be extremely simple for them to give us the option to turn it off.  I have long since given up on the idea that eBay cares one iota what we think or say about this or any issue.  If you want, you can call and talk to some poor person in India that eBay has designated as the person who must bear the brunt of our complaints, while they sit in boardrooms making an endless stream of callous and short-sighted decisions.  Maddening.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

I was seeing the Ebay popups when using Firefox 23.0.1.  I installed the Addblock Plus add-on for Firefox.  Then in the filter preferences section of Adblock I added the custom filter: ebay.com##div.vi-notify-cmp.  It got rid of the annoying Ebay popups.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

Hate, hate, hate the annoying popups.  It shows that ebay has contempt for their customers, they are shamelessly manipulating us to think that there is an urgency to buy an item with deliberately eye-catching eyesores designed to produce a panicked buy.

I was thinking of buying something tonight, but they've discouraged that.  

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

cute.shoes, they are not a Chrome feature. They are new features that eBay is testing, as not everyone sees them, and those that do, don't all see the same ones. I have never seen the ones the OP mentioned, but I do have one that shows "Similar items for you based on this item" when viewing a listing.

At this time, I don't think there is a way to turn them off.

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to single_fire

These things are the worst! It's almost like the site has been cleverly sabotaged. 

cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

I have no idea.

I don't use Chrome - I use Firefox and on rare occasion IE.  I never see those.  So they MUST BE a feature of Chrome only.

But it's good to know that Chrome has that feature / problem.

__________ _________ _________ __________
See my "me" page to learn what smart sellers do.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

Filter has changed now...

try this

ebay.com##.vi-notify-container.vi-notify-shadow

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

Plus, I only use Firefox, never Chrome or IE and I still get them.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

I also hated it for one day only qand it is easy to remove.

Install addblock from google store.

go to eBay and let the button "See similar" appear..then right click with mouse to it and adblock feature will apear in the row..you will see addblock feature (block this add) and (blochk this add on this site) so just go for which you need. Restart and no **bleep** will popup again. :smileywink:

gwaposanta
Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

THANK Q for this HELP  I  to have stopped the annoying popup ad   using  ADBLOCK

THANK Q very very much 4 THIS site

marrtins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to single_fire

I think they will not start paying attention even somebody kills himself of this :catmad: :catmad: :catmad: :catmad: