eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Why is nobody viewing my listings?

I listed on 4 different sites, the US, UK, AU and SG ones.

The US one was put up for 30 days and there are now 19 days left on the timer. In that time my listing has gotten a grand total of 50 views...over 11 days. That's less than five views a day, on the most high traffic ebay site.

What's going on? Is my title not good enough? Does it not show when people search for common terms like "automatic watch"?

Please use plain text.
legessi
Community Member

Re: Why is nobody viewing my listings?

in reply to jun_watarase

50 views depending on the item and price sounds about right.  I don't always believe what the view counter says..I have sold items with -0- views and have 3 watchers with 1 view.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody. Herbert Bayard Swope
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

$140 for an unbranded watch? no info as to where its made . side view looks like a thick box,  front view is ok, title wasted on too much info on color ,,,,,,,,,, its not a fashon watch ........sale pitch is weak

Lack of info make people wonder, ,,,.......As a buyer I wonder if its just some cheap watch made in china trying to sell for high price.

How you can change that point of view will be up to you.

,...,Most people don't realize that the best answer are the one that they don't want to hear.

chan
Please use plain text.
wolfgang2204
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

3 Duplicate listings - can get you in trouble with ebay and removed....

One is US. One is Aus. and one is GB.

I love the smell of packaging tape in the morning.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

And I did a search for the manufacturer and it is China based in Shenzhen.

The write up is a complete turn-off.  Don't try to be cutesy...just state the facts

:^O

,...,Most people don't realize that the best answer are the one that they don't want to hear.

chan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

...... in the old day . the mark of a good watch is  how thin and lite it is . But today I seen so many of the  "new style " chunky thick watches wholesaling for about $6 .I though I was just getting old..  and maybe people like to have a watch that weight about a pound on their wrist  ,you know  kinda like those weight that you strap on your wrist to build muscles:^O

there is nothing wrong with making money  but...........................

chan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

None of that explains why the amount of views is so low unless the view counter is broken...i can understand it if people don't buy it after viewing it but...they are not even viewing it.

I used to put the brand name in the title, then i realised that there wasn't enough space in the title, and nobody was going to search for "De rieter" anyway....

If i don't put the color in the title, nobody will be able to find the watch by searching for something like "white watch".

I've already kept the description as minimal as possible...it's mainly a list of specs and pictures.

I mean, i've seen listings where the seller just BS you with some long winded story about a mythical watchmaker that obviously had nothing to do with the brand, but people buy those watches anyway...so that obviously doesn't hurt sales.

Price wise, i'm not seeing a problem either? We are talking about an auto that hacks and handwinds, with sapphire crystal...the guilloche dial itself is very rare under the $300 mark.

I still don't get it? What should i be changing? I can remove most of the description and keep it soley to specs and pics but..i doubt that will help.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

Also not sure why people say the watch is thick...it's 10mm thick. Although i should probably put that in the specs list...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

Okay i've revised the descriptions in the listing. Can anyone take a look and give me some more feedback on it?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

I even slashed prices...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

Ok since you still don;t get  it  let  try this . I did a  SIMPLE SEARCH ON AUTOMATIC WATCHES .There are 38000 listing

a few click got me the info that your watches are no where near your competition ........ on prices ,listing, picture , title , style .........and everything else........

if you're the buyer will you want to look at your watch among all the other?

You need to be near the ball park to have a chance of catching the ball

chan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

You need to explain why the watch is nowhere near the competition?

I even explained it...where else can you find a high quality auto with hacking/handwinding, sapphire crystal, and a dial like that, for that price?

I just did a search for "automatic watch" in the $100-140 range within the "mechanical : automatic" and the results (6 pages) are mainly :

-Low end seikos like seiko 5s with plain dials and basic 7s26/7s36 movements, hardlex crystal

-Lower end Invicas/Stuhrlings, usually divers or skeletons (not even competing with these because they are an entirely different style)

-Vintage swiss watches

-Parnis (completley different size, usually open hearts or many sub dials)

Spec wise, the only thing that actually comes close to the watch i have listed in this price range are the Parnis ones, but they are a completely different size and style. Someone who wants a large watch with sub dials will buy a parnis, no matter how low i price my watch. Someone who doesn't, will never buy a parnis no matter how cheap they are.

Things get more complicated if you search without using a sub category since most sellers didn't bother specifying the movement in their listings...

It all depends on how people are searching for watches though. If they are doing it by color, it narrows it down a lot. Like there's only 4 cream automatic watches in the $100-140 category, two of which are mine.

To answer your question, If i'm the buyer and i'm looking for a particular color (e.g. cream) i would definatley look at my listing because there's so few cream watches out there in the first place, it's got a nice picture, and the title even mentions sapphire crystal...which is almost impossible to find in this price range.

Anyway i'm getting off track...

My point is, just how is my listing so bad that people don't even want to view it? The watch itself is better than almost anything in the price range, that's a fact if you just compare the specs with the Seiko 5s in this price range. Can you show me some specific comparisons?

Please use plain text.
legessi
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

I don't think eBay is the venue for you.  We are all trying to give  you ideas/advice and you keep counter-arguing.

on eBay, you will find someone like myself who needs a watch...so when we search listings, we type in watch, a few features that we are looking for and search by ending soonest, or lowest price....with 38000 listings to choose from there is nothing to make me stop and by yours.  A quick search of Sapphire, watch and auto did not include your listings, and your listings do not include the makers name which if they are a reputable, quality company (I dont know since I know nothing about watches) you would definitely want to include.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody. Herbert Bayard Swope
Please use plain text.
ingeniouskha
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

No offense but with 3 listings...I'd be surprise if anyone will look at your listings at all just because you're competing with millions of watches.

Brand is important on the title because I bet 90% of people knows what brand they want, I'm one of those buyers who search by brands for what I want to buy.  There's a big difference between a Cartier watch and a non-brand.

Doesn't most watches made of crystal sapphire window dial?  All I know, for any listing to be seen by prospect buyers...your item needs to stand out, unfortunately, yours doesn't.

Carry the REAL thing
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

I don't think eBay is the venue for you.  We are all trying to give  you ideas/advice and you keep counter-arguing.

Ive already responded to the advice, changed the text, and asked for feedback on what to do next...what more do you want?

If theres nothing that makes you want to stop by my listing, doesnt that mean theres nothing to make you stop by other listings as well...unless you can name something about other listings that make you stop?

Btw, the reason why "sapphire watch auto" does not return my listing (and does not return the other 3000+ auto listings) is because the search engine searches for the word "auto' while most listings use "automatic". Try "sapphire watch automatic".

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

No offense but with 3 listings...I'd be surprise if anyone will look at your listings at all just because you're competing with millions of watches.

Brand is important on the title because I bet 90% of people knows what brand they want, I'm one of those buyers who search by brands for what I want to buy.  There's a big difference between a Cartier watch and a non-brand.

Doesn't most watches made of crystal sapphire window dial?  All I know, for any listing to be seen by prospect buyers...your item needs to stand out, unfortunately, yours doesn't.

(Okay looks like the quote tags dont work here...)

I understand what you are saying...i will try to fit in the brand title, but the problem is it's not a famous brand so nobody will search by it anyway. Frankly, nobody should be searching on ebay for autos from luxury brands in the first place because they have a very high chance of being fakes. People buy and sell those through jewellers.

Most watches are made using mineral glass, not sapphire. Autos with sapphire usually start at $300+. There's also "hybrids" like seiko hardlex that are supposed to be a cross between mineral glass and sapphire crystal.

Please use plain text.
rosachs
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

OK - I'm gonna jump in here and add a few comments.  Take them or leave them, makes no difference to me.  But consider the source, and then consider where you are selling.  Seriously consider where you are selling.....

- You seem quite knowledgeable about watches, yet the commentary indicates your text is juvenile or trite.  If you want people to respect that you know what you are selling, your descriptive text is the place.  But remember - people don't want to read - they're lazy and eBay says they don't have to cuz eBay's got their back.  How would you describe your watch to someone with a background similar to yours... how would you describe it to the father of your girlfriend on the night you ask him for permission to marry her... how would you describe it to impress without appearing to be a self-promoting shill?

- Look at the pictures of high-end watches ... can you take pictures like that?  Can you provide clear close-up images of important features, like the engraving on the back indicating auto-winding, water depth warranty, xxx jewel movement, etc?  Why not?  Isn't that the first thing you check when looking at a watch - what claims the manufacturer has stated clearly/permanently on the back of the watch?

- a list of features is fine... if everyone (and that includes your buyers) knows what the terms on the list mean.

- 3 listings in 38000 and you want first page exposure?  What makes you believe you deserve such value?  With 8 feedbacks, how can you prove to eBay that your listings deserve top spot in Best Match?

You can't.  It takes time, and you don't sound like someone interested in investing time.  eBay is no longer the "get cash quick" place it was once thought to be.  Buyers have significantly more options, sellers are much better at placing their products, and the competition is simply better.  Just because you are a new seller with what you perceive/believe to be a better product at an amazing price.... means you get the same opportunity to prove yourself over time that the rest of us do.

How to get views?  Title and thumbnail image -- the rest is simply up to parameters out of your control, the whimsy of eBay, and the fickle nature of shoppers.  Truly and surely - it's really just that simple.

If you were 3 listings out of 3000, your odds of being found in Search so that a shopper might consider opening your listings would be over 10 times better than they are today.  But eBay is huge, and your competition is out in force -- massive force.

Look at the listings that come up first in a Best Match search for your product... what do they have that brings them to the top of the list?  What do they have that entices you to open the listing to learn more?  What in the listing would lead you to believe this was a reputable seller, whom you could trust to stand behind the product sold?

Think like a buyer, use the site like a buyer, and take notes.  Apply said notes to your own listings.  One thing you are likely to find... the popular sellers also have a LOT of listings!

You -can- success at selling on eBay, but be careful how you define your success.  I'd love to get 50 views on a 30 day listings... I'd love to have 50 views total across ALL my listings!!  But my buyers are collectors - I have to have what they want, when they want it, in the condition they are looking for.  That's a tiny target on a moving platform.... hard to keep the targeting laser focused on the bulls-eye.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about my selling tools - I'm happy to share!
V.46 Trading Assistant/Consignment sales, since 1997!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

OK - I'm gonna jump in here and add a few comments.  Take them or leave them, makes no difference to me.  But consider the source, and then consider where you are selling.  Seriously consider where you are selling.....

- You seem quite knowledgeable about watches, yet the commentary indicates your text is juvenile or trite.  If you want people to respect that you know what you are selling, your descriptive text is the place.  But remember - people don't want to read - they're lazy and eBay says they don't have to cuz eBay's got their back.  How would you describe your watch to someone with a background similar to yours... how would you describe it to the father of your girlfriend on the night you ask him for permission to marry her... how would you describe it to impress without appearing to be a self-promoting shill?

- Look at the pictures of high-end watches ... can you take pictures like that?  Can you provide clear close-up images of important features, like the engraving on the back indicating auto-winding, water depth warranty, xxx jewel movement, etc?  Why not?  Isn't that the first thing you check when looking at a watch - what claims the manufacturer has stated clearly/permanently on the back of the watch?

- a list of features is fine... if everyone (and that includes your buyers) knows what the terms on the list mean.

- 3 listings in 38000 and you want first page exposure?  What makes you believe you deserve such value?  With 8 feedbacks, how can you prove to eBay that your listings deserve top spot in Best Match?

You can't.  It takes time, and you don't sound like someone interested in investing time.  eBay is no longer the "get cash quick" place it was once thought to be.  Buyers have significantly more options, sellers are much better at placing their products, and the competition is simply better.  Just because you are a new seller with what you perceive/believe to be a better product at an amazing price.... means you get the same opportunity to prove yourself over time that the rest of us do.

How to get views?  Title and thumbnail image -- the rest is simply up to parameters out of your control, the whimsy of eBay, and the fickle nature of shoppers.  Truly and surely - it's really just that simple.

If you were 3 listings out of 3000, your odds of being found in Search so that a shopper might consider opening your listings would be over 10 times better than they are today.  But eBay is huge, and your competition is out in force -- massive force.

Look at the listings that come up first in a Best Match search for your product... what do they have that brings them to the top of the list?  What do they have that entices you to open the listing to learn more?  What in the listing would lead you to believe this was a reputable seller, whom you could trust to stand behind the product sold?

Think like a buyer, use the site like a buyer, and take notes.  Apply said notes to your own listings.  One thing you are likely to find... the popular sellers also have a LOT of listings!

You -can- success at selling on eBay, but be careful how you define your success.  I'd love to get 50 views on a 30 day listings... I'd love to have 50 views total across ALL my listings!!  But my buyers are collectors - I have to have what they want, when they want it, in the condition they are looking for.  That's a tiny target on a moving platform.... hard to keep the targeting laser focused on the bulls-eye.

-Bob.

Thanks for the comments! Just want to clarify...have you actually viewed the listings in question? Because im not sure what you mean by juvenile text...

To address your points :

-I wouldn't describe the watch at all unless i absolutely had to. People don't buy watches based off descriptions, they buy it from pictures. I would show them pictures, and if they are hooked, they are hooked.

-I'm not a professional photographer, so no, i can't take pictures like those. To be honest, i don't trust stock photos anymore...ask on any watch forum and the most common complaint is that stock photos in no way reflect reality. I use real photos that do show you what the watch is like in real life.  I understand what you mean though, because high quality photos attract views.

About the caseback...i wouldn't trust anything on the caseback, and i don't know why anyone would. If a manufacturer is going to lie, they can just engrave fake stuff on the caseback, just like if a seller is going to lie they can lie in their descriptions. There's no difference. I have a $10 ebay watch that is made out of chrome plated zinc alloy, that has stainless steel engraved on the back. Means nothing.

-So you are saiyng i should explain the terms used for features?

-I don't want first page exposure, but 50 views over 11 days sound terribly bad to me, unless this is some kind of norm. In comparison i get over 100 views on a watch forum...per day...and this is without any ebay features whatsoever, so all the buyer sees is a title with no pictures, no price, nothing. Under those conditions, with less traffic than ebay, i can get 100 views per day...so i kind of expected more on ebay. I mean, the entire point of ebay is that you are supposed to be able to sell things easily right?

I understand what you are saying about the luck factor though.

Also it's not just 3000 results...you have to consider that buyers look for certain features...so that number can vary a lot. If you do a search for "cream automatic watch", you get just 33 results...that narrows it down a lot. Of course, whether someone will use those specific search terms is another thing entirely...based off luck i suppose.

-I don't know anyone who actually uses best match over lowest price. I mean, it just gives you some hilariously irrelevant results sometimes. I have no idea how it works. Best match for "automatic cream watch" is...a black colored watch winder.

As a buyer, what i look for are :

1.Pics, does it look like a watch i want? Are there high res versions available?

2.Price, does it make sense considering the specs?

3.Does the seller launch into the usual "blah blah swiss watchmaker from 100 years ago blah blah" sales pitch? Instant turn off if he does.

4.Is the seller responsive to communications? Is he happy to answer questions, or does he evade them?

That's it...so from my perspective, i don't see what i'm doing wrong with this listing. It contains everything to make me send a quick message off to the seller asking for more info and gauge his response.

Also, i can be patient, the problem is that the listings actually cost money to put up in the first place. The AU site in particular wants $3 for a 7 day listing...if i don't sell anything, i end up in the red from listing fees.

And i'm guessing you are a professional antique seller or something like that?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

Well I 'll fix it for ya.

want more view ? Thats easy , just put made in china  in cap on the title.... people will go to your listing and see what kind of seller is trying to sell china watch for over $100 and be amuse.:^O

chan
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jun_watarase

Just in case you paid too much. I found the factory that makes your watch

http://deli-china.en.alibaba.com/product/489538510-210111724/Men_Automatic_Mechanical_Watch.html

took 30 second

chan
Please use plain text.