eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

tangible_goodies
Community Member

Stamps.com vs printing via Paypal/eBay

Okay so I have a question. Does anyone print through Stamps.com? I was under the impression that eBay sellers get free accounts, however when I signed up last night I was told it was going to be $15.99 a month with a 4 week free trial. I went to ship an item and postage was MORE EXPENSIVE than shipping through eBay like I normally do. What is the benefit of Stamps.com? They show all of these benefits like printing labels from home, scheduling USPS pick ups, free USPS packaging supplies, which I get all of these things already anyway. Am I missing something?

Community Member

Re: Stamps.com vs printing via Paypal/eBay

in reply to tangible_goodies

I just started using Stamps.com about 3 or more weeks ago. One reason is because of Parcel Select shipping labels can be printed on there. But the main reason for me is for being able to insure International First Class Mail packages there. But really if you're not going to insure first class international or be using Parcel Select than there really is not much benefit. I think the rates are about the same as Ebay except for Priority Mail. Priority Mail is cheaper on Ebay. Also on Stamps.com it says if you plan on mailing in volume of 200 or more pieces to let them know. But again I don't think there is really a benefit unless you are mailing the above items like I do.

tangible_goodies
Community Member

What about this monthly fee? Do eBay sellers have to pay it?

ingeniouskha
Community Member

Yes.  I believe the only free about it is the 4 week trial and it's $15.99 thereafter.

Carry the REAL thing
silveradotrading
Community Member

I was going to sign up in order to do parcel select till ebay gets up to speed in their shipping portal. Figured it would not hurt to be able to do first class non-ebay items as well from the PC as well. But I stopped the registration when I saw the $15.99 monthly fee.

I have decided its easier to bump to priority for most sales and just eat the difference till ebay gets their act together. Now that we moved and the post office is not within eyesight, its real inconvenient to have to go there to mail a package! I was so spoiled!

I have been only offering priority for auctions as an option till ebay gets fixed.

Community Member

I have the free eBay sellers Stamps.com account. No monthly cost. I keep it as a backup, for those times when eBay shipping is acting up. I've only used it once, or twice. Here is a link to the signup page~~~> http://www.stamps.com/welcome/custom/ebay/ . You can only ship items sold through eBay, with it, and, seems there were a couple things it wouldn't let me do, it said I would have to upgrade to the paid account but, it's been awhile, and I don't remember what they were.

You're a TRS, so you'll definitely get a better price on Domestic Express & Priority Mail services through eBay shipping because you automatically get Commercial Plus pricing on those services through eBay~~~> http://pages.ebay.com/usps/USPSsavings.html . Don't pay attention to the rate comparisons on that page. Those rates are from a couple years ago. The page hasn't been updated in quite awhile.

Community Member

Hi tangible_goodies, ingeniouskha and silveradotrading,

As an eBay seller, you qualify for a free Stamps.com account; however you need a special link to sign up:  www.stamps.com/ebayfree1/.  Unlike our other plans, there is no monthly fee for this type of account but it is limited to importing eBay orders only.  You are also eligible for commercial base discounts on certain USPS mail classes, including Express Mail, Priority Mail, First Class Mail, Express Mail International, Priority Mail International, First Class Package International Service etc.  With Stamps.com, you will be able to print Parcel Select labels from your home or office.

Hope this helps.  Please let us know if we can assist with any other questions.

Thanks!

Divya

Stamps.com

Community Member

What does this mean? What is "usage of stamps.coms webstore shipping process..."? I can't tell if I'll be charged or not for using stamps.com

There is no service charge for the free eBay plan ($0 per month. Only for usage of Stamps.com’s webstore shipping process for shipping goods sold through your eBay® webstore. Limited time offer.)

alexapostel
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to midnightmovies_12

You can insure first class interantional packages automatically using auctiva.com, I think it's affordable and can set up to insure only more expensive items or all...

And isn't parcel select more expensive than Priority Mail. I use mostly Priority Mail regional rate box A, it's cheaper than using regular priority boxes and they come in all shapes so you can definetly find one that suits you.

....so there is no advantage to stamps.com.... good to know. 

sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to alexapostel

not in my recent experience. i shipped a 12 pound,18x18x5 box priority for 28 dolllars and change.

same day,i shipped a 17 pound,48x15x15 box parcel select for 22 dollars and change.

i have no clue about the regional boxes,though,can you tell me more?

Photobucket

adf07bid
Community Member

you can insure FCPI through shipsurance.com
johnrj1226
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to sineaterdoodah

Now i don't sell big thingys and seldom ship any thing over 5 lbs. (most items are in the 1-3 lb.  I have found Priority Mail to be less expensive that Parcel Select when you add in the cost of the box & insurance.

luv the Regional boxes been using them since they were introduced - mainly use the Regional A boxes and they are great for shipping  within my home state (GA) or surrounding states - recently ship a Regional A  box to S. Carolina  for $4.91 -- my cost for a smal FR Box $5.10, Padded Envelope $5.35).  Now I do get the commercial rate on postage.

Sometimes when i ship  to the west coast - standard priority is less expensive - depending on the weight.

All use all the standard priority boxes sizes (top & side opening) & the shoe box

Very seldom use Regional B or medium or large flate rate boxes - keep a few around for  "just in case situations"

Community Member

in reply to sineaterdoodah

Regional rate is the BEST!!!

Regional rate boxes A & B are the cheapest way to ship Priority mail in most cases. If you are not using them, you are likely overpaying. You need to order the boxes directly from USPS.com as they are not available at post offices. There are two sizes of box A and two sizes of box B. If you are already shipping Priority, you WILL save money by using Regional Rate A & B. In my experience, regional rate C is always more expensive than normal Priority. Don't waste your time with C.

sineaterdoodah wrote:

i have no clue about the regional boxes,though,can you tell me more?

Community Member

in reply to liquidlocks

I live in the center of the U.S. and have found the Regional boxes may - or may NOT - be cheaper than straight Priority mail.. usually cheaper than Priority FLAT rate though.

For every item I ship, I have to compare rates of all the boxes to know which will get the item to my customer at the Priority speed, but be the most financially friendly to my bottom line.  I list mainly in the Pottery & Glass catagory, and very often my item/set won't fit in any of the Regional A or B boxes!  :womansad:

The majority of my buyers live on one coast or the other, where the bulk of the population are located, and sometimes straight Priority can be very, very expensive to mail that distance from here.

sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to mistwomandancing

thank you everybody!!! 

mist,i live in kansas,that's part of what i wondered about,was being centrally located in comparison to living on the coasts.

when i sell,i don't need to worry much,as most people don't buy a huge amount of movies at a time,but i do send stuff to friends and family,so i'll definitely check here and see what y'all think before i send the next huge one,like the keyboard.

Photobucket

Community Member

I found a site called FreeStampsAccount that gives out a free lifetime membership to stamps.com.  They also give Commercial Plus Pricing which were cheaper rates than my previous endicia account.  I had to fill out the form on the site and I received my account a couple hours later.  They also provide all services like regional rate boxes and flat rate padded envelopes.

This is not a referral link.  I do not make any money if people sign up. I just thought this was a pretty dang good deal.  The best comparison I could find was a 4 week trial.  

Community Member

in reply to capezio4

I print all my labels through eBay.  Love that tracking is automatically uploaded FOR me.. that I don't have to take even a moment to take care of that little chore for myself.

As long as I get the good discount on eBay and price is the same or lower, I'm here!  It would definitely have to save me a pretty decent amount of money over using eBay shipping for me to switch away to another site.

toymel1
Community Member

Don't forget free digital scale!

Community Member

in reply to toymel1

When I signed up for the free stamps account I didnt get a digital scale.  They said its beacause they were waiving the monthly fee.

Community Member

in reply to mistwomandancing

From my understanding, Ebay offers commercial plus pricing to top rated sellers.  For everybody else it is at commercial base pricing.  This can be a significant difference depending on what boxes you are shipping.  For instance a medium flat rate box is $11.30 with commercial base and $10.65 for commercial plus.

Stamps.com will also automatically download all of your orders and upload the tracking info back to Ebay.  Most sellers like stamps because it can import orders from multiple selling platforms.