eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

theunfun1
Community Member

How to create Collections?

Does anyone know how to create collections? If you click on your own name and it takes you to your all about you page there is a feature there called Collections- How are they created?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: How to create Collections?

in reply to theunfun1

Hmm, don't know. First I've heard of them.

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to alwaysabargain4u

Its a very new thing with no info I could find in the "help" pages here or from a google search.

I took a look and it appears to possibly be some sort of gathering of listings their search thingy thinks I may want based on recent searches I've done.  A sort of "want list" made just for me.

Since around 90% of my searches are to take a look at problem listings when a seller posts to ask for help, I don't think my collection is going to be very useful.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

I think it's supposed to be some sort of "Pinterest-type" ripoff thingy. But the brilliant folk who run this site seem to have neglected to add a way for people to 'collect' their collections. As it's configured now, it's just a glorified Watch list, for yourself. :robotembarrassed:

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to theunfun1

Ok- Maybe we can figure it out together -- if anyone cares to!

These folks don't know either!

http://community.ebay.com/t5/New-to-eBay-Board/quot-COLLECTIONS-quot-NEW-FEATURE/td-p/17590257

Maybe there's something in account settings- My guess is that it's supposed to work like Etsy Treasuries- Sort of- Maybe- And maybe like Pinterest as well- Both serve either to inspire and or generate sales / traffic- On Etsy I don't think you can put your own items for sale in Treasuries- Or maybe you can, but would be considered tacky? Don't know- But you can Pin and promote what ever it is you're selling on Pinterest-

The thing is neither generate the sales they used to- At one time if your items were featured in Treasuries on Etsy they almost always resulted in sales- That's no longer the case- At least for many simply because when collections are made quite frequently many people choose the same favorites which are usually items from established, successful sellers- And not as many people Pin things to Pinterest boards / collections like they used to OR there are so many items to be Repinned that the Pins are now spread out- Because when I used to Pin things to Pinterest let's say even a year ago, the item I Pinned would get Repinned a lot where as now I MIGHT get, well, 1 pin over the course of a month!

Anyway, Collections could result in even more sales for established, successful sellers here on Ebay simply by way of frequently showing up in peoples Collections- That's not to say it couldn't also prove beneficial to any seller-

I'll give Ebay a call today and inquire about how to set up a Collection-

Please use plain text.
jeannemara
Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

When you see an item you like, and you are in the listing itself, right underneath where you would bid or "buy it now," there are two phrases. "Add to Watchlist" and "Add to Collection." Click on "Add to Collection." It will then ask you to name you collection. As in "China," or "Lamps." Once you do that, it will have you click on "Add to Collection" (yes, again.) Then you have that as a collection to which you can add more items. To do so, click on "Add to Collection" and then click on the name of the collection to which you want to add your item.

What irritates me is that we could already have lists beyond the "watch list" with the same information. So, all this does is make more work for people like me who will have to re-make all the lists as "collections." Never mind the fact that, as you say, they have NO information about this "change" anywhere on site. Seems to me, it's a change for changes sake.

Please use plain text.
theunfun1
Community Member

in reply to jeannemara

I called Ebay about the Collections feature- The rep said that only 10% of Ebay members have the feature at this time and that it was introduced mid-August- She didn't know when it will be available to everyone but said that it won't be available to everyone until they receive enough feedback about it- The new feature is as easy to use as you described- But you're right, it will be time consuming to switch your lists over-

I don't have the Collections feature- I still have the old drop down menu under the Bid box-

Thanks for the help!

Please use plain text.
jeannemara
Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

You're welcome!

Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

Yeah, well it still makes them look incompetent to throw the 'feature' up on the site and then not have any accompanying text explaining that it isn't currently available to all members...

Community Member

in reply to multimedea_media

Well, it seems they've now opened up "Collections" to everyone. Yippie.

One step forward, two steps back...it seems the spellchecker (why does it need spellcheck?) will throw up an error notice for any word it doesn't recognize, like proper names. It then won't let you post the caption and the item, even if you correct or delete the supposed error (that it never explains.) Then, it stalls up that page on your browser so that you almost have to run Task Manager to shut it down. Gotta love this site. Maybe this one should have stayed in Beta a little longer...

Community Member

Why would you want to put something you might be interested in bidding on or buying into your Collections? Anyone can see your Collections and could just snatch it right away from you if they also liked it.
Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

in reply to all*about*horses

Personally, I don't intend to put anything unique in them that I'm actively seeking (common sense, natch?) But I don't mind making visual lists of things I like or that there are a ton of on the site. It adds more interest to your profile page, which will hopefully drive more eyes to view your current listings there (which now have better picture links.) Anything that promotes your own stuff here (that isn't in direct competition) is all to the good, as far as I'm concerned. I just wish we could personalize the profile page a little more; it'd be a help for a little-guy seller who doesn't have a store.

Community Member

So you are saying that I should run around adding saddles, bridles, and other horse tack to my Collections (which I have no intent to ever buy) just to add "bling" to my profile page?

I do agree the profile pages are pretty bleak. I think I liked our old My World pages much better.
Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

[ Edited ]

That's completely up to you. The things I'm putting up aren't things I have 'no intention of ever buying.' They are more like back-burner stuff that I have an interest in, and aren't in direct competition to my own wares. It's a way that I can say to anyone who might look at my collections, "Hey, if you liked that, maybe you'll like my stuff, too (and buy!)" At least this way, I can pick and choose what shows up along with my items, instead of Ebay directly thrusting my competitors' stuff in my listings.

And the old "My World" pages were, frankly, kinda tacky and cluttered. I don't want to 'blog', I want to 'sell'.

Community Member

I guess I won't worry about it. I have a slot for it in my profile page but I don't see any options to "add to collections" on any listings I've looked at.
Please use plain text.
theunfun1
Community Member

Look under the bid button on an item, there's a little drop down menu there- One of the options is add to collection- The feature wasn't available to me either just yesterday but is today-

Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

In the reconfigured pages (on Chrome), it should look like this:

ebaysp3.jpg

If it's not there, probably means the feature isn't 'live' to everyone yet.

Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

Collections are groups of items curated by sellers, experts, and members of the eBay community around specific themes or topics. They give buyers a new way to browse a selection of items that have been hand-picked to intrigue and inspire. 

You can read more information in the FAQ located at the bottom of the Collections site:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/followingonebay/collections.html

Please use plain text.
rosachs
Community Member

in reply to theunfun1

I see Collections as a way for experience buyers to identify prime examples of things they are considered an 'expert' in.  Problem there is that, as a buyer, while you want to be known as an expert, you don't want other buyers to look to you to find great buys....  I mean, I seem to remember eBay removing the ability to track the listings someone was bidding on specifically for that reason.  So that expert buyers could 'shop in private'.  Now it seems that they want those buyers to reverse that??

As a seller, why would you put anything on your Collections that wasn't something you were selling?  Why advertise products other sellers are going to profit from?  Most sellers only become 'experts' in the products they sell, so that they can more accurately, not so they can lead buyers to other sellers.

I see this as a eBay Marketing idea, created by marketing suits who have no real sales experience.  They've never run their own business... they just tell others how they should run theirs.  "Put together a list of all the great things other people are selling -- it will help increase eBay's.... er... your profits!!"

Sounds like a great idea... for a social site.  Not so good if you're trying to sell YOUR stuff.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about my selling tools - I'm happy to share!
V.46 Trading Assistant/Consignment sales, since 1997!
Please use plain text.
windchimeman1
Community Member

in reply to rosachs

Ok you can go to your profile page and make your collection private.

I made one tonight of stuff that i am selling, but can not find it.  In the near future it will be so over stuffed with stuff that it will be worthless.

The Ranch has had this option for years, and people put other peoples stuff in it.  Ebay is just copying others like they usually do. 

Dare to dream, and then dare to begin
...God grant me the serenity
...to accept the things I cannot change;
...courage to change the things I can;
......and wisdom to know the difference
“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
"Good luck and bad luck even out over time, so if sales are slow, there will be sales soon."

Please use plain text.