eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Merry Christmas

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

docnik
Community Member

Required Tracking for 90% of US Shipments to keep Top Rated Status

I am not very familiar with how other stamp dealers do their shipping, but we ship most of our items in #10 envelopes and 99.999% of them get there.  With no tracking number.  Cost about 50c when you include envelope and packaging. (and we give most US buyers free shipping)  With this change the cost will be $1.65 +$1 for large envelopes and packaging.

This new policy is really going to effect my business and I believe the "stamp" catagory as a whole. Many if not most of our customers prefer to receive stamps on their covers, not labels. So now eBay wants us to not use stamps, use their labels and add a huge cost to shipping.  EBay's response is add it into the item.... I start almost all my auctions at a penny, so now what, start them all at $.99 .

If we do not provide tracking we will loose our top rated seller status.  Doesn't matter that we excel in all the other requirements and have spent years maintaining excellent standards.

Is this going to effect any other stamp dealers out there?

I think we need to band together and try to have our catagory excluded from the tracking requirement based on the special mailing circumstances we have.

Please send emails / call and get on the Spring update discussion boards.   Hopefully we will be able to get the "stamp" catagory excluded from this change.

Thanks for reading.

Community Member

Re: Required Tracking for 90% of US Shipments to keep Top Rated Status

in reply to docnik

I ship items exactly as docnik does, and have done the same calculations.  To remain a TRS will require my shipping costs to almost quadruple.  And as docnik points out, my customers expect to see canceled postage stamps on the cover, not a computer printed shipping label.  Applying this policy to the stamp category is just silly.

cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to docnik

This was the email that I just sent Ebay :

I have just received the email regarding the new criteria for top rated selling that starts in May.

100% of my shipments are shipped within 1 day of receiving payment – no exceptions, I accept returns on anything up to the 45 day limit that Paypal enforces ( Ebay having a return policy is moot when you accept Paypal for payment ).

My problem is this – I sell stamps , single stamps, sets of stamps, large collections. Obviously on the large collections I print all my postage through Ebay shipping. However this represents less than 1% of my business. The single stamps and sets of stamps can all be mailed in small 6x4 envelopes for 45c – 65c. If I were to start having to print labels to mail these out, my shipping would have to go up to a minimum of $1.95 ( this is because the Post Office does not let you print out labels for regular first class mail ).

This would mean I would lose sales, I would lose regular customers and in the end I  ( and Ebay ) would lose money. Also, if I start sending out packages with labels on the front instead of actual stamps, my clientele would very soon leave me for a seller that uses stamps and not labels.

I do understand that this policy is probably set up for the 95% of people that do not fall in my sales area, however for those of us that do sell stamps - I ‘m sure the combined revenue between us is pretty high as I am a relatively small seller and still grossed over $170,000 in sales last year – this is a really bad policy if it means us losing our top rated seller status and, more importantly, our 20% discount on fees.

If you are unable to come up with an explanation as to why this policy is going to be implemented, can you pass this email on to someone who may look at it and give it some attention.

postalhysteria
Community Member

in reply to docnik

I, too, just received eBay's notice about required tracking and their silly labeels, here is my reply sent to them:

Hello -
99.9  % of what I sell is in the stamp collectible area and 90 % of that ships in standard 6-1/2" long envelopes, first class at a postage cost of 45 cents, or standard business envelopes referred to s No 10s at the same price or 20 cents more.  I have no need for tracking on these items under $20 cost, and if I do I simply send insured in a 6 x 9 envelope.
If I now have to go with your silly labels which to me says to anyone handling the item 
HEY HERE IS SOMETHING FROM EBAY, LET ME TAKE IT OUT OF THE MAIL, MIGHT BE SOMETHING VALUABLE.
I am not kidding, I do not want my mailings ANY WAY, ANY HOW identified as an eBay item.
Please excuse the stamp collecting area from this silly requirement.
Been here 15 years, you guys and your improvements keep making it more difficult.
You ever think of contacting your sellers to see what they would like for a change.
Jeff SwittPostalhysteria

Go to Covers!!
postalhysteria
Community Member

in reply to docnik

So much for replying for the numbnut who went out the notice, I received this just now:

Thank you for your response. Please don't reply to this message - it is an automated response and your reply will not be received.

Go to Covers!!
postalhysteria
Community Member

in reply to docnik

Cobbie - who did you send your email to??

(Or if IO is watching, To whom did you direct your eMail?)

Go to Covers!!
cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to docnik

If you go to the discussion board they link to :

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum/Special-Discussion-Board/5200000023

Go onto one of the threads about the one day handling and scroll down until you see a PINK post ( an Ebay employee ). You will see their ID is an ebay email address.

I used one of them. Also I have received emails in the past from complaints I've submitted, these were always replied to by an employee, so I just found one of these old emails and hit reply.

It's worth a try, but I won't hold my breath.

Alternately you can go to Customer Support --> Contact Ebay and pick a subject, you will then be given a telephone number to call. They may listen - or not.

docnik
Community Member

in reply to docnik

I was going to try to get through to the Town hall meeting tomorrow.  We need to blast them with emails and phone calls and anything else we can think of.

There are over 2million stamp listings on eBay.  That is a huge demographic that should be taken into consideration.

Not to mention trading cards and other small items that this will hurt tremendously.

Let's let them know we have a voice.

docnik
Community Member

in reply to docnik

I called this morning and talked to Tyler, who said I should increase my prices to cover the costs.

Then said he would pass it on up the chain.

There is a message board for the discussion of the changes.  I posted there too along with about 50+ people on this topic

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/February-28-2012/Tracking-Numbers-For/5100052267

antonius-ra
Community Member

in reply to docnik

Lisa I believe I told you before, in an email, that Ebay has no regard for sellers.
There only concern is protecting buyers and their own arses.
You would think a seller with ten years of perfect feedback would be protected from the occasional buyer who is trying to rip them off by claiming non delivery, forget it!
This is but just another in a long line of implimentations to drive sellers off Ebay.
I doubt it will really matter one way or the other about keeping your top status
Most all buyers will not realize this new mandate and knock your stars for shipping cost which will eventually drag your rating down anyway.
Ebay does not seem to understand that sellers are the ones that pay all the fees and fill their coffers. As far as I can see every new change made by Ebay is a slap in the face to sellers.
I hope the time will come when they all leave them flat and bankrupt. They deserve that much.

cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to docnik

I have now sent the same email to three of the different "pinks" that have posted to that forum. I may also invite them to come over here and read what we have to say.

Community Member

in reply to docnik

Ridiculous new requirements for people who sell stamps.

I guess the only way to maintain a TRS and get the discount is to ban buyers in the USA.

If you want to sell to people in the USA start up Ebay nick where you would sell to buyers in the USA.

malolo
Community Member

in reply to docnik

One point I didn't see mentioned here is that eBay must assume everyone ships within the US.

If the post office can't track Registered mail shipments once they leave the US, how does eBay expect its tracking requirement to work. When I was selling 60% of my sales went overseas.

eBay tracking will not change the status of a delivery.

I think this rule is a means to guarantee eBay additional income from shipping fees. All you "cheap" stamp sellers are screwing eBay out of shipping income. LOL.

BTW  - How does one print labels to fit on envelopes? A special printer, or paper, or what? I've never seen it done for #10 envelopes.

cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to docnik

Roger -

Regarding printing labels, you can choose from a wide variety of sizes - at least I can on my computer. I think that may be part of the printer setting rather than the Ebay shipping though. I quite often print A5 labels for my smaller envelopes.

malolo
Community Member

in reply to docnik

ie - Maybe I'm just stupid, but are the labels on sheets like slef-adhesive Avery labels I use on folders, or ordinary 8 1/2" x11" and cut by hand, then glued.

I don't recall ever seeing an eBay label so it's difficult to visualize. Also what application does one use. I have a Mac and eBay doesn't even have an auction listing program for us, so it probably doesn't have a label printing ap.

cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to docnik
I have a Mac as well and a Brother printer. I print any labels that I need to through the EBay print label system. I assume the print options are through my printer application but I'm not 100% sure of that.
Community Member

in reply to docnik

Well,

Count me as a longtime (15 years) ebay member who will be dropping off if these new seller 'updates' actually go into effect. My current seller dashboard shows these numbers for my last 706 transactions:

Item as described 4.99

Communication 5.00

Shipping time 4.99

Shipping and handling charges 4.97

Like others in this stamp board, I use real stamps on my shipments, get items out within a couple of days and don't use any tracking numbers. I'd like to think those DSRs indicate I'm doing something right. But if I continue with this level of performance and these new 'improvements' go into effect - I'll be working hard at this business only to lose my Top Seller Rating, and end up paying an additional 20% in fees. Just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Maybe I'm the kind of seller ebay wants to get out of their system. I certainly don't do the level of business on ebay that buy dot com has, but I'd like to think I was offering some level of service to my customers.

I wonder if the powers that be realize that if they scare off enough of the die-hard sellers in categories like stamps, the buyers will soon leave as well. Hope someone in this company starts to figure it out soon.

Joe

APS 173692

PNJSTAMPs on ebay (for a couple more months...)

billsey
Community Member

in reply to docnik

I think it's pretty obvious that eBay decided quite some time ago that dealing with sellers who consistantly sell items for less than $50-100 is not cost effective. Hence the changes that are targeted at taking those sellers and pricing them out of the business. If you were only selling $100+ lots, it wouldn't be a problem to ship everything certified or registered. It's only those people who are closer to $10 for each sale where the higher shipping cost requirements become a problem.

postalhysteria
Community Member

in reply to docnik

At the first of the year I started working earnestly on my modern US postal history website.  After consideration of eBay's latest announcement, I really don't give a flying fig what eBay does, whether I have gold eBay stars coming out of my ---, what my DSR rating is, what eBay charges me or rebates to me, or if I am a top-shelf seller, or what.

eBay doesn't give a rat's patootie about sellers anyway, so I have no trouble returning the favor.

Remember the Alamo, and Go to Covers.

Go to Covers!!
clarkphilatelics
Community Member

in reply to docnik

I don't print labels. I copy and paste addresses for single or multiple orders from the SixBit eCommerce application into Microsoft Word. I can then print one or a stack of #6 envelopes directly on the printer. No hassles with labels or taking extra time to affix them to an envelope. Besides, printing only a few labels is a real hassle without a dedicated label printer. I believe that #6 envelopes are less likely to be damaged than larger envelopes or padded envelopes needed for tracking. The stamps are well protected. Check out my feedback.

Clark