eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Merry Christmas

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

waterhawk2b
Community Member

Removing adhesive stamps from paper

What is the best way to remove stamps that are the adhesive type from paper? 

Thanks, Don

charlietuna619
Community Member

Re: Removing adhesive stamps from paper

in reply to waterhawk2b

Are you a member of the APS.?  In the American Philatelist, their monthly magazine (I believe it was October/November issue) they ran a very comperhensive artical on that issue.  I also believe you can access those artical via their website.

Hope this helps

Don

http://transatlanticmailbyair.wordpress.com/
billsey
Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

Here's a Youtube video on that very subject. 'Fuelite' is called 'White Gas' or 'Coleman Lantern Fuel' in the US.

Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

I've had luck removing "most" U.S. self adhesives with common soaking procedures. The stamps don't just float free however. I wind up soaking for  a while and testing them by trying to slide my tongs, with the tip, between the stamp and paper. If it goes easily I procede to "slice" the stamp from the paper. the adhesive stays on the paper and the stamp is clean. I have had trouble on certain issues though, such as the desert and rain forest issues. Also the older self adhesives, like the dove, I just leave on the paper and trim it real close.

waterhawk2b
Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

Thank you.

Don

manny122
Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

I retired  from the U.S. Postal Service a few years ago so I learned one basic trick. Start slowly and gently pulling from one corner, remember, SLOWLY is the key word here. Next, if while you're peeling, you feel or see paper coming off the stamp, stop and start peeling from the oppisite corner, then the other corners. it should only take two or three minutes. I guess this would be for collecting purposes only.  Please do not peel off stamps from letters you get in the mail which looks unused to remail letters or packages as this would be illegal. Much revenue is lost by pepole doing this.  Personally I wish they never invented self adheshive as they take away so much revenue and collectors do not like them, and now all .45 (Jan 22, 2012) stamps are all "forever stamps" weakens the Postal Service even more. I know you said removing from paper but this is the same way.   SLOWLY

waterhawk2b
Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

Thank you Manny.  I too worked for the poastal service as a carrier untill I had an accident and was no longer able to work as a carrier.  Ifeel as you do about the stamps now days.  Not only is it screwing up the service but it diminishes the collector status worldwide.  It  seems that the postal service, with stamps, are relying mostly on collectors for revenue, thus they need to listen to us about the problems with the stamps.

cobbie10
Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

I'm sorry, but if the post office are unable to find 2 seconds to pick up their date stamp and cancel a stamp, then when that stamp arrives to me completely untouched, I'm not going to just throw it in the bin. Priority mail stamps are always the ones that get missed and are easily pealable with the gum still intact. And with the ever increasing prices I'm not going to throw away money, especially with the new ridiculous price rises they've put on overseas mail.

Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

I saw this on someone's ebay listing, so I can't take credit for it. It works perfectly....

Go to Home Depot (or Amazon.com) and get "Pure Citrus" air freshener (non-aerosol). Spray on the back side, let it soak 2-3 seconds, and peel off the stamp with no thinning or fuss. Adhesive may remain on the stamp. Rub a little talcum powder on it, and you're done. Does not affect stamp color or cancelation inks.

You will wish you found this product earlier, and probably want to replace all those thinned stamps you struggled soaking before. You also won't blow yourself up with Coleman gas.

Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

By the way, using this technique to re-use stamps for postage would be, well, stealing. I don't like the price of gas. That doesn't entitle me to siphon my neighbor's car or 'pump & run' even if the attendant happens to be in the restroom and not watching like they should. Anyone who thinks otherwise, please put me on your blocked bidder list.

waterhawk2b
Community Member

Removing adhesive stamps from paper

in reply to waterhawk2b

I tried the "Pure Citrus" after buying it from Home Depot....and it works great.  I wish I had known about this months ago.  I STRONGLY urge all to use this method for removing adhesive stamps...it works perflectly.  Then use baby powder to coat any remaining glue.  Finally, something that really works, and works well!

Community Member

in reply to waterhawk2b

My comment about blowing yourself up with Coleman fluid was perhaps too snarky. Pure Citrus is flammable too. Do not use near open flame. Wouldathunkit.