eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

njames51
Community Member

What does "private bidders" mean?

Am going to sell some art work. researching some of the sales...alot of tyhem say it's private bidders. No names. etc. and then they say best offer accepted. Private bidders is kinda questionable. Comments?

Please use plain text.
fyoung17
Community Member

Re: What does "private bidders" mean?

in reply to njames51

Nancy--

It means the Seller chose to do just that, keep all bidders ID's Private. We all have that option.

If you are not supposed to stick Q-Tips in your ears, then what in the hell are they for? Ole' Don swears by 'em!

FRED

My favorite thing about the Internet is that you get to go into the private world of real creeps without having to smell them.

FRED
Please use plain text.
almostgoods
Community Member

in reply to njames51

I hate private bidders. The last two issues I've had with buyers were both private feedback buyers.

Private listing means it wont show item details in the feedback. Private Feedback means you cant' see the buyer's feedback at all. 

Sellers cannot have private feedback, but they can have private listings.

This is my buying ID.
Please use plain text.
njames51
Community Member

in reply to almostgoods

But, what is sooo valuable that a person has to hide his identity. Not like great auction houses where 50 = millions are up for grab. And they mormally bid by phone.  Seems like shilling or art auction houses starting low and then making sure barely the reserve is met....hmmmmmmmm

Please use plain text.
bud-obermeyer
Community Member

in reply to njames51

"Private Bidder" auctions I think have their place - perhaps in the sale of sensual and other personal items.

Also, in the past  before bidder IDs were camaflaged by eBay ,  sellers of things like limited art prints saw their active bidders being poached by email offering to sell them a like item outright for less than the listing seller. That also happened to some extent in our category as well.

Please use plain text.