eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Attention Fixed Price Sellers, All Your Listings Might Be Removed July 1st

I Just received this message while listing an item "Some of your photos don't comply with our policy on photos. We recommend that you fix these issues immediately, or you'll risk having listings removed starting July 1, 2013" as well as this message "To comply with our policy on photos, ... upload a photo that is at least 500 pixels on the longest side". Right now I have about 400 cards in my store, the majority of which are less than 500 pixels on the longest side. I looked through many other sellers stores and saw that the majority of other dealers also have pictures with too few pixels. If these listings are all removed it will cost us all quite a bit  of money, and worse, a massive amount of time fixing these issues. It is not just card dealers that will be affected, anyone selling small items like stamps, coins, or whatever most likely will have the same issue. I urge everyone to let eBay know that this is a major problem. Go to "tell us what you think" at the bottom of the page and let eBay know about this. I could be wrong, I could be overreacting, but I am worried, with I believe a legitimate concern.

charlieshustle
Community Member

Re: Attention Fixed Price Sellers, All Your Listings Might Be Removed July 1st

in reply to eddieplank

If you need to mass edit your photos, you could also use Google's Picasa and convert your photos all at once so that they are greater than 500 pixels on the longest side.

Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

Even if you could mass edit all your photos at once, imagine how long it would take to change every one of your listings. you have over 15,000 cards listed, it would take you weeks, or months to edit them all.

mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

It is very hard to not have at least 500px......if the card is scanned and cropped loose it is on average 750x1000 on a bad day. If you start having issues...crop a colored border around the B&W listings...that will boost the px by at least 500 alone. If you use Microsoft Office Picture Manager you can compose these options.

Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

I have tried scanning 6 cards at a time on my flatbed scanner, then cropping them through turbolister2 and they still are short on pixels. I'm using an Epson Perfection 4490 with the DPi set on 360, up from 300. If I go to 400 DPi it just takes too long, not sure how to correct this and any help would be appreciated, not looking to buy another scanner either lol. Thanks, Mike

bud-obermeyer
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

buckeye - just resize the images by, say, 50% after scanning.

no-plain-white-envelopes
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

Why does Ebay feel they need to keep reinventing the wheel?  If it's not BROKEN DON'T FIX IT.

mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

Why does Ebay feel they need to keep reinventing the wheel?  If it's not BROKEN DON'T FIX IT.

When I was a kid I wanted to be like Mark Grace...so I practiced every day and practiced and practiced some more! But finally I had to accept the fact I would never play in the majors...because I could not hit a curveball.

eBay has not accepted the fact they will never be like Amazon! Plain & simple ;-)

charlieshustle
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

Even if you could mass edit all your photos at once, imagine how long it would take to change every one of your listings. you have over 15,000 cards listed, it would take you weeks, or months to edit them all.

It takes about 2 hours, mostly unattended.

If you learn anything from this, learn not to trust ebay as the "storage" for your listings. Keep all your data and pictures stored (and redundantly backed up) some place else. I learned this the hard way, back in 2009 when TL2 crashed and lost all data twice in 3 months.

telosa3
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

hi YES i agree with not messing with it all the time but then my opinion of ebay as a seller is not that fab:-)

i called ebay 2x and i dont trust the customer service to know (one was india) whats going on..they are reading a script...

question if you or anyone can answer..

i use AUCTIVA and my clothing i use borders to show front and back of dress...

and some of my  6-10 photos per listing may not be the right size and i also list them

in the body of the listing...to sell better..i put alot of energy into presentation..

its a small store but its 150 listings i have to redo..

1) i heard that they wont touch the GTC...so thats an out?

2) IS IT ALL PICS or only the GALLERY main picture they are talking about  (borders, sizing)???

thanks!

calvary18delux
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

I just received the same notice.  I was sent a list of active items that did not have the required 500 pixels on the longest side. 

After digging a little further into it, I noticed that it's not the size of the image on your computer that is the issue.  It's the size of the image when Ebay re-sizes the image when uploading.

For example:  an image that I have on my computer is 721x539.  The same image used in a listing is re-sized to 400x299 after uploading.

Am I correct with this assessment?  I use TL and images are stored on my hard drive (soon to change).  Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks for the input!

Jon

bud-obermeyer
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

My "simple" fix has been to copy the offending ebay image to my image editing software, double or triple the size and/or the resolution of that image, and then upload that expanded image to my ebay listing.

calvary18delux
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

This is interesting.  The list of items that had the insufficient pixels also had a problem with the gallery picture showing up.  This has happened in the past and I simply went into TL and re-inserted the picture and then synchronized the listing.  This took care of that problem without doing anything to the image such as re-sizing.

When I went to do this today, I discovered that my images suddenly had the sufficient pixels after re-inserting the images and syncing.  Again, I did nothing to the images except re-inserting them in TL.

As an experiment, I tried ending a listing and then uploading it without changing anything and had the same issue with the image pixels.

This leads me to believe that there is an issue during the uploading process.

Any thoughts?

lindyscards
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

I don't have a store here with ebay still I pound away one listing at a time. 

I list here when I have the time to for the past 13 years.

I don't use any of ebay tools which has probably hurt how many I sell .

My point is when I came back at the end of last year doing it the way

I do just before the 12 free photos.

When I would upload my photos it told me I had to have one of the pixels

as great as 2500 pixels x what ever 1955 pixels .If not it would show it was not the right size.

After a couple of times like that I learned quickly .

Now it is a different up load for me completely since the free pictures

As with all of us we try to show every little spot if it isn't graded.

Also as a seller we know that spot that didn't show for that card

it didn't take long till we knew.

I hope this is of some help.

Just

lindy
bunbunben
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

I had a notice that 5,910 of my listings needed to be re-sized. I called ebay and was told that all GOOD TILL ENDED listings will be grandfathered in and not removed. Any listing created after July 1st will need the minimum pixel size. I scan my cards at 140 dpi now and the long side is 516 pixels. Bottle caps at 360 dpi.

bunbunben
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

Correction: It is GOOD TILL CANCELLED STORE LISTINGS that are grandfathered.

calvary18delux
Community Member

in reply to eddieplank

"After further review......"  Apparently, TL was resizing images down to 400 pixels.  I read that the latest update corrected the problem.

Got this from the seller board.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ListingPhotoSizes.htm

This site will pull all of your listings and tell you which ones do not meet the 500 pixel requirement.