eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

"Undeliverable as Addressed"?

I had a package yesterday that is showing up as Undeliverable as Addressed on the tracking info. It looks like the package is being returned to me. 

What should I do once I get it back? Re-send to the buyer? I will have to check the label and make sure everything is ok with it, but according to the USPS website, the address I sent to is valid.

I just started selling on Ebay and don't want to end up with negative feedback already.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: "Undeliverable as Addressed"?

in reply to sarah1049

Sometimes PayPal labels drop the apartment number or other detail that USPS needs.

Please use plain text.
prairie-creations
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to sarah1049

As strange as it is I ordered 2 items from Amazon, a kindle fire HD and the wall charger.  Since they now send the cord for a USB charge but not the wall plug, that's sold sepearately.   Well Amazon mucked up and shipped both items in one box, and then shipped the USB charger in it's own box.  Not sure who was confused when they pulled my order but that's what they did.  They mailed both at the same time, and both came the same truck/plane whatnot to my local UPS place which is about 45 miles from where I actually live.   The kindle fire HD box was delivered but the second package was listed as undeliverable because of my address so it was sent back to amazon.   Amazon then refunded my payment for the charger because they couldn't deliver it...... But Ummmm both packages got to within 45 miles of where I live, both ordered at the same time, both had the same address on the label and one was delivered but the second wasn't.  I order often from Amazon and I never had this problem before and my address hasn't changed in 16 years!    I kid you not..... so with the USPS sometimes things don't shock me.   I didn't correct them for THEIR error..... but my payment for the charger was refunded to my account.

My second question is the address correct for the buyer.  I just had a package return from a buyer who didn't update her account on ebay or paypal after moving.  The whole mess is being worked out and I refuneded her payment but she corrected the address and asked me to remail it charging her for the extra shipping.  I haven't had a postal issue for a LONG time, so I'm being the nice guy (actually gal)  and forgiving her error for not updating her account since it's been over a year since she moved or used ebay.    First class postage isn't much so I'll cover that and sent a new invoice for the payment for the original amount.   Sometimes it's worth it to pass it forward to someone else and they in turn will do something nice for someone else to keep doing nice things for others.  I think she is an older lady and it just slipped her mind..... that it was an honest mistake.   Things happen in life that are worse, just watch the evening news.....

But first of all is CONTACT THE BUYER ASAP and let them know what is going on.   Before remailing anything make sure they update their paypal account with the correct address and use that to mail the package.   Don't mail to any address they say because if they wanted to they could say it didn't arrive and then make a claim.  You always want to mail packages to the address given to you by paypal.   Postage cost is another thing, was it cheap to mail?  If so it might be worth it to just cover the cost, was it an honest mistake?   If it's spendy to mail, perhaps asking them to cover postage since the error was their mistake and you mailed in good faith that you were given the correct address.   Another option would be to split the cost of shipping.....

Please use plain text.
texan34
Community Member

in reply to sarah1049

I had one that I shipped say the same thing.  The buyer messaged me to make sure I used the correct address.  I told him I used the one eBay had furnished.  After a few days he received the packaged.  It might just be a mix up on USPS side.  Just keep in contact with your buyer and tell him to let you know if he receives it and if it gets returned you will ship it back out.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sarah1049

I sent the buyer a message as soon as I noticed. But, today it says 'Arrived at Unit' so I am assuming the package arrived, thankfully. Although, for some reason it didn't update my funds release date like it usually does. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sarah1049
I had a bad experience with a buyer several months ago. He snapped up something I listed really cheap. I printed the label through eBay and sent it. It was returned as undeliverable. I showed the buyer the picture of the label with the undeliverable mark. The buyer had the wrong address listed in his Paypal account but left me profanity laced negs when he refused to pay almost $20 to reship (it was HEAVY!!) even though it was not my fault the package wasn't deliverable. He also threatened to file claim on me to get me to send it but I haven't heard from him. I guess he didn't know eBay can't do anything beyond refund. The negs were removed the next day. I relisted it after blocking him and it sold for a little more a week later. :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
billy_biggle_fan
Community Member

in reply to prairie-creations

prairie-creations wrote:

As strange as it is I ordered 2 items from Amazon, a kindle fire HD and the wall charger.  Since they now send the cord for a USB charge but not the wall plug, that's sold sepearately.   Well Amazon mucked up and shipped both items in one box, and then shipped the USB charger in it's own box.  Not sure who was confused when they pulled my order but that's what they did.  They mailed both at the same time, and both came the same truck/plane whatnot to my local UPS place which is about 45 miles from where I actually live.   The kindle fire HD box was delivered but the second package was listed as undeliverable because of my address so it was sent back to amazon.   Amazon then refunded my payment for the charger because they couldn't deliver it...... But Ummmm both packages got to within 45 miles of where I live, both ordered at the same time, both had the same address on the label and one was delivered but the second wasn't.

Since I live near 3 Amazon warehouses, and know a lot of their staff, I'll comment.

Depending on how your order was processed, it's likely that 2 pickers were used to fill it.  If this is the case, 2 separate packages would have been sent, provided that their scanners instructed them to place the items into 2 different shipping bins, each going to different stations.  While this doesn't sound like it makes sense, it can be more efficient to ship 2 packages using separate staff, based on exactly where the items were located in the warehouse.  Clear as mud, eh?

As to the thread discussion:

First, it's best not to check tracking online; to assume that all is well.  If there is a problem, your buyer Will be contacting you.  There's no need to go looking for trouble.

Second, "Undeliverable as Addressed" may simply be a mis-scan, or other postal issue that is corrected by USPS automatically when the parcel is returned to be sorted again.  Often packages that can't be delivered at first are delivered later when a postal worker recognizes the street or address and sends the parcel back out for delivery.

Thus, don't worry about it until you are contacted, or the package is returned to you.  At that point, you can act based on what has occurred.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to billy_biggle_fan

The one time this happened with us we contacted the buyer and listed the address that was on the label asking for verification that it was correct, and if not a better address to send it to when it got back to us, they provided a friend's address to ship it to.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to eztradin

Strange if the Amazon delivery were UPS that they didn't call you, UPS requires a your phone number for problems like this.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to texan34

texan34 wrote:

I had one that I shipped say the same thing.  The buyer messaged me to make sure I used the correct address.  I told him I used the one eBay had furnished.  After a few days he received the packaged.  It might just be a mix up on USPS side.  Just keep in contact with your buyer and tell him to let you know if he receives it and if it gets returned you will ship it back out.

RE:

I told him I used the one eBay had furnished

Why would you not use the addy the payment service provided?

Please use plain text.