eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

gleaminyoureye
Community Member

local pickup

I redo smaller furniture pieces into little art pieces. Someone said that craigslist is better for that type of thing. But I like the eBay selling management tools and see that there is something called "local pickup."

I suppose that automatically turns prospective buyers off (?). If I want to say "local pickup only," could I stipulate in my description that, if an interested buyer is not local, they could still purchase it if they pay for FedEx Packing & Shipping where FedEx wraps the odd-sized item and ships it? I know my items are more unwieldly, but does that automatically make it more complicated to use eBay?
Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

Re: local pickup

in reply to gleaminyoureye

You can offer both local pick-up and shipping via whatever carrier you wish.

For the first, the payment will be for the item only (and you can accept cash upon pick-up); for the second, you quote an appropriate rate to cover the cost of packing and shipping.  You can limit sales to the U.S. and block PO boxes, Hawaii, Alaska and U.S. Protectorates.  For large items, you can specify freight and simply indicate a price range within the text (call a few freight services for estimates to various cities).

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
bffyfan
Community Member

Re: local pickup

in reply to gleaminyoureye

The biggest problem with running stuff on eBay as local pick up only is…there is no way to block buyers who do not understand that you will not be shipping the item.

Buyers who assume that somehow you are shipping it or will be shipping it or you will arrange shipping for a 5 level chest of drawers and it will be comparable to just a few dollars or free.

Unless the furniture you a re selling is a one of a kind or has some type of inherent value no one is going to pay a $120+ or what have you to get it shipped across country.

If you were a regular seller of those types of items you may at that point be able to negotiate carrier discounts. As is, you do not have access to them.

Unless your items are inherently valuable, listing them here may easily be a fool's errand.

Please use plain text.