eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

poker-chips-on-line
Community Member

anyone else having trouble printing eBay ship labels: jumbled font?

[ Edited ]

When I go to MyEBay to print shipping labels for items sold, I am NOW getting labels with jumbled fonts (letters squeezed together). This problem has happened to me two times in a row.  Are others getting this problem?  What causes the problem? (Incidentally, when I print from my PayPal account for non-eBay transactions, there is no problem.)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: anyone else having trouble printing eBay ship labels: jumbled font?

in reply to poker-chips-on-line

I can tell you what's happening, but I can't tell you why, exactly. Maybe this will give you a clue, though...

The font normally used for the shipping label is missing, and you are seeing the Courier (typewriter) typeface used as a substitute. The letters are crashing into each other because their positioning is based on the typeface that was intended, not the one that you're seeing. Courier itself is a monospace font, meaning that every character in it is assigned the same width, but here it's being used as a substitute for another font that was not monospace, and so its substituted characters are a little out of position.

How the font got lost, I don't know. If your printer gets your label in the form of an image, such as what inexpensive inkjets use, then the problem is in your computer and the way it was rendering the label for printing. If your printer gets typesetting instructions and composes its own label, such as how PostScript printers do their job, then the printer has lost its font (or is not provided one with the print job), and has to swap in Courier instead.

I suspect that your working (PayPal) process is putting the label together in a different manner than your problem process, or else you're using either a different printer or a different computer to produce your "good" labels vs. your "bad" labels. Does any of this suggest a possible solution?

Please use plain text.
poker-chips-on-line
Community Member

in reply to a_c_green

I had a picture of the label before, but it was removed because it contained the complete name and address, against eBay message board policy.  I agree, my mistake.

But I guess it is OK to show it edited here:

111po.jpg
Please use plain text.
poker-chips-on-line
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to a_c_green

I am using a cheap ink jet printer.  I used it for labels from links at both  MyEBay (the jamming letters problem) and from my PayPal account page (no problem there).  For hundreds of labels, I had used printing label links from MyEBay selling page with no problems .... till now.

By the way, does the ability to EDIT a post disappear after a short time?  It seems to in my posts here.

thanks

Robert

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

poker-chips-on-line wrote:

I am using a cheap ink jet printer.  I used it for labels from links at both  MyEBay (the jamming letters problem) and from my PayPal account page (no problem there).  For hundreds of labels, I had used printing label links from MyEBay selling page with no problems .... till now.

Hmmm... I hate to give such generic-sounding advice, but all I can suggest here is that you check to ensure that you have the latest installation of Java (i.e. visit java.com and click the "Do I have Java?" link).

It appears that the code eBay is using to generate the label for your printer is not able to find the correct font, or assumes that your printer has it when it does not. The PayPal process apparently "knows" where the necessary font is on your machine, as I don't think your printer would be storing it internally. It's been a while since I used PayPal for label printing, but if it's using Adobe Reader behind the scenes to generate the label in PDF form, then the good font used there is coming from the Adobe resources provided with Reader, and for some reason the similar resources used by eBay have gone away. (I don't suppose you've done any drastic cleanups on your machine that might have coincided with the start of your problem...?)

poker-chips-on-line wrote:

By the way, does the ability to EDIT a post disappear after a short time?  It seems to in my posts here.

Yes, you have only a few minutes to proofread and jump back in to correct things. I'm doing so now, in fact, because I forgot to answer your second question here in my first time around...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Try updating your Adobe, which is used to print to a laser/inkjet.  You might also want to try a different browser.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

We experience that same issue on single labels, and we do not use adobe for pdf files. This is what we have found to work when printing one label at a time, cancel the automatic print dialog that comes up and then hit the print button in the pdf pluggin. I think it has to do with eBay trying to print the label before your pdf plugin fully loading the file with the proper fonts.

Please use plain text.