eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
The Ebay ship calculator cost to ship a wheel/tire via UPS was half the actual cost. All info I put in was accurate. What am I missing?

I just shipped four wheel/tire packages UPS ground and had to pay $115 more for shipping than the Ebay shipping calculator said it would cost. The sale price was already set so I had to eat the extra shipping cost. I confirmed with the UPS store employee that the package information I plugged into the calculator was correct, but the shipping charge that the Ebay calculator came up with was about half the actual cost to ship ($159.60 versus $275.16). The UPS employee said that the Ebay shipping calculator is usually "way off". What use is the calculator? What am I missing? Thanks.

"Lost my shirt on Ebay"

Other Answers: 4
ol-nobull
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cotetwins

Hi.  For UPS the ebay calculator is only as accurate as the info you input into it.    The calculator is taken from the UPS charts so it is NOT ebay on this.

the charts are based on you taking it to a UPS DEPOT, not a UPS STORE. 

I will make a guess as to the problem.   Almost always the rates are for items in packages that are square or rectangular.   If you did not box the wheels/tires then it uses the rate for something like odd shape or non standard, etc which is a MUCH higher rate than boxed items.   Tires/wheels are ROUNDS or CYLINDER SHAPE & get the higher rate when not boxed as they wste space in the container.  

Also rates at the UPS STORE are MUCH higher that the UPS charts or at an actual UPS depot.   UPS stores add a lot to the regular UPS rates as that is how they  make their money.   UPS stores are not UPS, just a private business that accepts packages for UPS& they charge the customer inflated rates for their convenience.   

Good luck, Jim

cotetwins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cotetwins

Thanks, Jim (ol-nobull). I think that my mistake was not going directly to a "UPS depot" to ship the wheels. My package dimensions and weight were accurate (UPS Store confirmed them) and I checked the "irregular" box in the shipping calculator. I knew that the rate was for one wheel, not four. So, there were no other explanations for the price difference between the Ebay calculator and the local "UPS Store". Lesson learned.

hunyuk14
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cotetwins

The calculator usually works just fine.

By chance, was the price shown was just for one tire? and you had a total of 4 separate shipping labels?

"Aw...Darn it, Woodstock...look what you left on my keyboard again!"
hunyuk14
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cotetwins

After reviewing your listing for the tires, you created and listed your tires incorrectly. I see $22 plus to ship all four tires.

"Aw...Darn it, Woodstock...look what you left on my keyboard again!"