eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

cawarratradingco
Community Member

How does USPS Insurance work on a damaged item?

I sold a framed signed print and sent it by Priority mail to Alaska. The buyer tells me the glass was broken when it arrived, though the print was not damaged. Since the main value in the item is in the print, not the glass covering it, does the USPS allow for partial insurance claims? Has anyone made a claim based on the new automatic insurance with priority mail -and can you walk me through it? Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: How does USPS Insurance work on a damaged item?

in reply to cawarratradingco

Caw...

I have not made a claim using the new free insuarance from the PO.  But it is probably done the same way that it was done in the ppast.  The PO started a while ago to pay claims on-line--with no inspection of the item if the total amount was less than about $50.  All you had to do was to say item was damaged--and they would send you a check.

If the item over $50 however, then the buyer must bring it to HIS local Po with all the packaging and give it to themfor inspection.  They then decide whether they were at fault--or YOU were at fault.  Many/most times they will blame the damage on you, saying that your packaging was to blame and they will not pay out!

The buyer is NOT required by Ebay to go throught this investigation process for you.

Whatever else happens with the insurance claim--You re required  to refund the buyer in full.  And you cannot wait until the insuraance claim process is completed.  If you try to make the buyer wait--he can file a SNAD Dispute against you with Ebay or PayPal.  You CAN however then insist that he send the item back to you--and you do not have to refund---until he returns your item.

Please use plain text.
cawarratradingco
Community Member

in reply to garmentvarmint2014

Thanks so much for the info. In this case the item was over $50, but the damage was just broken glass on a framed print -no damage to the artwork. I'll see what the PO says tomorrow about partial damage. My buyer seems kinda laid-back and cooperative, so that's a welcome change from some of them.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

IF the insurance doesn't pay,  do you think that the buyer will be happy with a partial refund. This way, they can buy a new frame or pay for new glass.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

CAW...

You may not feel the broken glass is important--but the buyer appears to think  that it is.  Otherwise, he would not have contacted you in the first place about this.

And--I have never heard of the PO doing partial insurance payments.  I very seriously doubt they would do such a thing.

You as an Ebay seller MAY offer a partial payout to the buyer.  But the buyer does not have to acccept that.  And I wonder just what he would have to do about the broken glass.  Will he have to buy a new frame?  Is that going to be a pain in the neck for him to find the right size?

If buyer does decide he wants a full refund--all he has to do is to file Snad Dispute with Ebay or PayPal.  And Ebay is not going to be interested in your statement that the broken glass is not important.  Every item you sell here--must arrive exactly as desciribed.

Maybe you can make a deal with the buyer for a partial refund.  But--the buyer gets to decide whether he will accept that or not.:womanindifferent:

Please use plain text.
cawarratradingco
Community Member

in reply to garmentvarmint2014

Nowhere have I made a statement that "the glass is not important." Of COURSE it would be a pain for the buyer to have to go to the trouble of trying to find a replacement for the glass, etc. But to my mind, paying out the value of a signed piece of artwork because the glass broke would be silly and disproportionate as well. If that is the only option, I will simply ask her to return for refund.

Please use plain text.
cawarratradingco
Community Member

in reply to ms.rodriguez*

She might be. Otherwise, I will ask her to return for a full refund. The print itself is valuable without any framing. Thans for your help.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

if the glass is broken
your claim will more than likely be denied
for not packaging correctly to avoid damage.
Please use plain text.