eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Does paypal cover lost or damage to packages sent?

I had a buyer email me and said one part in the package broke due to a smached end of the box.

Does paypal pay for damages or is it up to the postal service to pay for the damages?

Other Answers: 5
Community Member
Answered
in reply to grogzillastein

That would be up to the Post Office, and only if you had insurance on that package. It is up to the sender of that package to pack well enough that in the event of damage to the package itself the contents wouldn"t be affected.

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered

The seller is responsible for safe delivery of their item. period.

Did you purchase insurance? No? then refund the buyer's full cost including ship cost.

USPS nor paypal will cover damage to a package. That is what insurance is for.

Ebay buyer protection program covers the buyer. Seller protection covers the seller, but you have to know the policy of the program. I recommend that you learn it to help protect yourself. 

pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered

if you didn't have insurance no body covers the damage but you.....get a photo first, if indeed damaged refund in full, if you want it back wait to get it then refund, a good seller refunds return shipping in this case also...

if you had insurance start the claim online, they will ask the buyer to take the package, item, etc into their PO to turn over, once that is done, you refund in full and wait on the claim yourself.

if you didn't have insurance don't call the PO, they WILL NOT do anything unless there was insurance, i was told this when i inquired about 10 years ago, they said such a thing was actually against the law.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
centerhill73
Community Member
Answered

USPS covers damage to an uninsured package? Not a chance.

They take weeks or even months to pay for and INSURED package.

orionslineelectronics
Community Member
Answered

It's usually up to the seller to pay for these damages, unless they purchased insurance (then they would pay for it).

You can try contacting USPS about it and see if they'll compensate you since it was their error. But if the buyer opens a case against you in the resolution center, it will be on you to reimburse the buyer in full.