eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

buyer wants to cancel transaction?

A buyer with a 68% feed back wants to cancel a transaction.  I had already opened an un paid item case.  I want the buyer to request to cancel the transaction and told him where to look to find out how.

He said thank you and then sent another message asking me to cancel the transaction. 

How do I make him cancel the transaction?  I don't mind agreeing to it but the last time I went through this with a negligent buyer I had an unpaid case with I had to wait for quite some time before they agreed to cancel the transaction.  

Please use plain text.
littleoddsends
Community Member

Re: buyer wants to cancel transaction?

in reply to compscrap

You don't, you open an Unpaid Item Dispute and let the cards fall how they fall.  If you do a mutual cancellation (you have to initiate that and the buyer agrees to it) then they can still leave you feedback.  The fact this buyer has 68% Positive FB means he/she is also a seller who has annoyed someone as buyers can only get positive feedback, you have to sell to get negative.

Hand out the unpaid item strike and move on in 4 days.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to compscrap

Do not close your UID under any circumstances.  Once you close it, you can't go back.  

Just send a nice email in hopes that he wont pay and then leave you bad FB.

"Oh I wish you had let me know before the UID filed.  I understand according to ebay policy that I can't undo the UID or I can't get my final value fees back."

If you send request for cancellation, and he doesn't agree, he can leave you bad FB  and/or you will not be able to dispute the fact that he didn't pay, and you will lose your FVFs.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to justsoyaknow2013

OP,

Unless I am mistaken, buyers cannot initiate a Cancel Transaction - I think it has to be done by the seller.  

Unlucky

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unluckytheloser

Bummer.  I think you are correct. I had gone to customer support and looked at  "  cancel a purchase " and when I had clicked on it I saw it asked if I was a buyer or a seller. so I thought there must be a way for the buyer to request a cancel transaction.

But after reading your post I took it a step further and tried to cancel somethign I had recently purchased through the link ebay provided.

All it did was give me the Contact seller box so I could contact them.  So I guess they can not request it. 

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to compscrap

They request it by asking the seller.

Not sure why you think if would make any difference somehow.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to compscrap

I just found something out.  the buyer is a previous customer and had left me a pos on the last transaction.  If I had paid close enough attention I would have noticed He said he had already purchased 2 of this item.

and it turns out he did. both on the same day.  He left me the positive feedback today.  I am guessing he didn't know he bought two in stead of one.

does that sound like some kind of scam?

and his 68% feedback is after 5 feedbacks so he only had one neg transaction.  

Please use plain text.
impalajohnny
Community Member

in reply to compscrap

It sounds like an honest mistake. Sometimes the checkout glitches and the buyer starts over but ends up with two because the first one went through. Also his single neg of "Negativa" doesn't really reflect well on his buyer I'm guessing the buyer didn't read the clear statement that one was cracked.

I'm not sure you can convert to a cancelation once uid is opened but if you can I'd probably do it considering the circumstances. However the others are correct that he could neg you on a cancelation but he could also neg you if he decides to pay rather than get a uid strike. There ain't no right answer so do as you wish, odds are very slim he would neg you for fixing the problem that's why I lean that way.

Please use plain text.
tripp_the_lab
Community Member

in reply to impalajohnny

I agree with Johnny it was most likely a simple mistake. If he left a positive and simply wants to cancel without you having shipped I don't see the scam.

You can change a UID into a cancel, from the help pages:

You can cancel a transaction after you've opened an unpaid item case. This works well if you and the buyer mutually agree that you don't want to complete the sale.

If you both agree to cancel the transaction, you'll receive a final value fee credit, and both you and the buyer can leave Feedback for each other.

To change an unpaid item case to a canceled transaction:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
2. Select the case.
3. Click I'd like to cancel the transaction.

Proud member of The Pack of Disgruntled Failures!

Neuter the people, not the dogs!
Please use plain text.
d-k_treasures
Community Member

in reply to unluckytheloser

unluckytheloser wrote:

OP,

Unless I am mistaken, buyers cannot initiate a Cancel Transaction - I think it has to be done by the seller.  

Unlucky

That's technically correct. But there is a spot where the buyer can select 'I want to cancel my order' which sends that message to the seller. The seller then has to send the buyer the actual cancellation request and hope they accept.

My pet peeve has always been that since the buyer can send that, and when the seller sends the request, it should be auto-approved, or if the seller accepts, the fees are refunded and no feedback allowed. It would certainly make it a lot less painful then it is now.

I am NOT a follower.
Please use plain text.