eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Merry Christmas

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Uploading photos is taking forever..or not at all. WHY?

I have never had problems like this before. Is there something going on with the site? Trying to upload pictures is taking a ridiculous amount of time and sometimes it just comes up with an error message.
nates_tips
Community Member

Re: Uploading photos is taking forever..or not at all. WHY?

in reply to bem017534
Hello,

Sorry that you are having uploading problems. We will be more than happy to help you with this issue, if you could just provide us with a little info about your system and user experience. :-)

- What web browser are you using? (Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc)
- What operating system are you running (Windows, Mac, etc)
- Do you have any third-party security applications such as Norton or ZoneAlarm?
- What eBay uploader are you trying to use? (Basic, Standard, Enhanced, etc)
- What does the error messages say?

Community Member

in reply to bem017534
I am using Safari on a Mac running the latest OSX and using the basic photo uploader. I have no third party security applications. I have never had problems uploading pictures before, only in the past week or so. I have been able to upload some pics but only after waiting several minutes but sometimes an error message comes up saying "uploader error" or something to that extent.
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
Safari has never been fully supported by eBay. Although it may have worked in the past, sometimes eBay will make updates or changes to their scripts which causes some unsupported browsers not to work completely.

There is also many other functions on the Sell Your Item Form and other eBay pages which are not supported by Safari.

For the best user experience, members have reported that FireFox works best for them, versus using Safari. FireFox is fully supported by eBay, so you should have no problems.

You can download FireFox for FREE here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Community Member

in reply to bem017534
OK so I tried with FIrefox and the same thing happened. I got an errror code ME005 which is a picture server error. Now what?
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
The ME005 error indicates a problem with the connection to eBay Picture servers. This can be caused by a poor network connection, but most often indicates a software conflict. Pop-up and ad-blockers are two of the programs that can prevent uploaders from loading your pictures. Please try the instructions below to turn off the built-in pop-up blocker in FireFox
  1. Open FireFox.
  2. Click Tools on the FireFox menu, then select Options...
  3. Click the Content tab.
  4. In the Block Pop-Up Windows section, clear the Block Pop-up Windows check box. If there is no check in the check box, click Cancel.
  5. Click the Ok button.
Also note that third-party security software (e.g., from Symantec, McAfee, etc.) can interfere with the uploading processes to eBay Picture servers.

If you have any third-party security software on your computer as mentioned above, temporarily disable the program while using eBay, then re-enable it when you are through.

Community Member

in reply to bem017534
Hi,
I can tell you that I am having problems uploading pics starting yesterday. I can browse and get the pic on the screen and I don't get any error codes...I just simply can't proceed because there is no button to click at the bottom. I am not using any similar equipment to yours. Did you get your problem fixed following this advice? The advice you have received so far has showed up elsewhere in the exact same order and wording, but there has been no response to my question at all. Good Luck to both of us :smileyhappy:
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
Hi, I have been experiencing a similar problem . I have downloaded firefox 3.0.7. If I click Tools on the firefox menu, all that comes up is web search, downloads,add-ons,error console,page info and clear private data. I have no idea what is going on. Any ideas?
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
thin-icedancer,

The reason my answer is in the same exact wording as my post in the past, is because the original poster is experiencing the same error. Thus, the answer was again copied here because the same steps apply to this situation. ;-)

Because you are using an entire different computer and, not getting the same error as the original poster, your experience is rather different and the above answers won't help you any. We are more than happy to help, but can you post more information regarding your system?

- What eBay uploader are you trying to use? (Basic, Stanadard, Enhanced)
- What web browser are you using? (Internet Explorer, FireFox, etc.)
- What operating system are you running? (Windows XP, Vista, Mac, etc)
- Do you have any third-party security applications installed on your computer? (Norton, ZoneAlarm, etc).

nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
abbyki,

Can you also tell use more about your system and user experience?

chatykat
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
> I have never had problems like this before. Is there something going on with the site? Trying to upload pictures is taking a ridiculous amount of time and sometimes it just comes up with an error message.
chatykat
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
> > I have never had problems like this before. Is there something going on with the site? Trying to upload pictures is taking a ridiculous amount of time and sometimes it just comes up with an error message.
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
I am having the same problem uploading pictures since yesterday. worked fine before then. Either it just keeps showing it is loading and never finishes or get error message...cannopt connect to picture server. Have followed all instructions regarding pop-up, firewall, EVERYTHING, tried FireFox and Internet expl. Is there something wrong with the server????
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
> I am having the same problem uploading pictures since yesterday. worked fine before then. Either it just keeps showing it is loading and never finishes or get error message...cannopt connect to picture server. Have followed all instructions regarding pop-up, firewall, EVERYTHING, tried FireFox and Internet expl. Is there something wrong with the server????

Have you noticed Ebay always tries to blame someone else.
Recently I have tried to upload pictures ... about 5 minutes passes then I get error ME005.
Was never like this before and nothing has changed on my 3 computers, same on each and each is a different system, may I suggest Ebay stops messing about and look at what itself has done...
cheers
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
dooly1934 ,

Please read post #5 on this thread regarding error ME005

Community Member

in reply to bem017534
I have the same problem. Been trying all day to load pics with ZERO success. I have downloaded Firefox and no change at all. Pictures will not load at all. I have Mac / Leopard. What is ebays problem with enabling sellers to load pictures? It used to work fine in the past with Safari. But now, nothing. EXTREMELY frustrating!
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
This problem still exists and all ebay can do is recommend the same fixes over and over.... It does not work, no matter what broswer, no matter how many times you reset your config or delete history etc.

I was online with an ebay rep earlier and they just kept repeating the same information.. it is frustrating and forcing me to look elsewhere for an auction site!
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
Incredible, since early March and still pictures take 10 minutes or more to download. I have Firefox, high speed for what? It was to make listing faster. I have found if you download them 1 at a time they sometimes go without an error-don't plan on putting more than 2 pics on though, unless you have no life. I have spoken with all the people I know that sell and it is the same story no matter what computer, program or accessories they have-PICS WON'T DOWNLOAD.
shipscript
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
I don't have a Mac, so my answer may be unrelated. When the new forum format arrived, my security software prevented me from viewing the page. It also prevented me from viewing any other page from the same server for 30 minutes - the default timeout setting in the security software. After 30 minutes, I could view other pages that were previously blocked.

I'm wondering if there is a security program for Macs that recognizes some of eBay's upload process as an intrusion. If so, it may be blocking the computer port for some period of time, like 60 seconds at a time.

My solution to getting back on the forums was to set ebay.com and also forums.ebay.com as a trusted site in my security software's privacy settings. I wonder if there is a similar permission to allow eBay's uploader and Mac computers to converse freely. And I also wonder if everyone here is using the same security software. ?:smileyindifferent:

I have spoken with all the people I know that sell...

If you had spoken to me, I would have said that my photos upload rather quickly and without problems. I use the Basic uploader and Firefox2 on XP. I don't happen to be on a Mac like the others on this thread, so if "all the people" are on Macs, their problems may all be related and they should share their setup information on this thread so that we can get to the bottom of this. :smileysurprised:
For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
nates_tips
Community Member

in reply to bem017534
As ShipScript advises, it would help us help you if those with uploading problems could tell us more about your system.

Here is a thread that explains why we ask for more info.
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Ebay-Picture-Services/Have-A-Uploading/520112837