eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Thrift Hunter's show. What do you think of it?

in reply to gwelch-2013

People don't realize that it takes years and years of experience to know what is a good buy.....

These shows make people think that they can become first rate sellers overnight.

We all know that isn't true.

It takes many mistakes and many many hours of research and hard work to make a living picking or thrifting.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to briarrose92596

briarrose92596 wrote:

People don't realize that it takes years and years of experience to know what is a good buy.....

These shows make people think that they can become first rate sellers overnight.

We all know that isn't true.

It takes many mistakes and many many hours of research and hard work to make a living picking or thrifting.

Some more agreement, I am with your sentiments as well. I spent the weekend trying to figure out how to avoid about a $1K loss on some items that my source had many more of than I suspected. Now there is a flood of them on Ebay from the same source, and it looks like me a couple of other sellers will take some significant losses because of the "Chinese" affect. I guess that also demonstrates the mistakes your are pointing out, even though these items were not directlly from Thriftin'

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to clothescloseouts4u

Afraid I've never heard of the show.  Of course, I don't really think much of today's reality TV is actually very real.  So I really don't watch many of them.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

in reply to 7606dennis

It's new and on Spike on Sat and Sunday.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to retrose1

I use to like a British game show where two teams were given some money and a so called expert, were taken to some flea market or something and had to buy items.  Then they would be taken to an auction house and their purchases were sold.The team that made the most profit won.  Alas!  A lot of the time the both teams lost because each of them showed a negative profit in the auction.  I think the name of the show was "Bargain Hunt" but I'm not real sure.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to 7606dennis

It's like Pam clocks you can buy a plain jane local for $50.00 to $100.00 buy a reproduction high demand face for $70.00 including shipping so you have under $200.00 invested. Relist it on ebay for $500.00 some mention new face others don't or salt it into a country sale and watch it bring a grand....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 7606dennis

Yea, i used to like watching that show too that Dennis mentioned above, haven't seen it lately and don't think it is on the air anymore here.. Saw 2 episodes of Thrift Hunter, first one wasn't crazy about it but liked the second one better, jury is still out.

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to fuzzface50
I liked that Brit show too. It was more real than these so called 'reality' shows are as they only actually made GOOD decisions once in a blue moon, even with the advice of the experts when they were selecting their purchase choices lol

Half the time the expert would be shaking their head and they 'knew better' and went ahead and got it anyway only to see it bomb at auction in the second half of the show.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lookng2015

i noticed on the Brit's show that the people that brought the cheapest items usually won. 

Ok, off to take the neighbor to dialysis.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I think that anyone holding a smartphone in a thrift store is by definition a picker -- somebody clearly in the know.

I also consider anyone who picks up a calculator to be a mathematician.

Yes, the preponderance of people looking up stuff on eBay at Goodwill has increased ten fold in recent years, in part because of technology and in part because of the aspirational nature of US television programming.    

But this doesn't alter the reality that most of these new folks are just like the guys on that show -- hobbysts, idiots or a little of both.

Thirty years ago, the hillbilly across the street from me supported himself by picking and having garage sales all the time.  A man like that is not affected by a guy with a fancy beard and  glasses who wields an iPhone.

It's business as usual.  

Please use plain text.
nobody*s_perfect
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to puppy.lefunk

The boys have a Facebook page where members can post their finds WHILE they're still in the Goodwill store or wherever, for other group members to discuss ASAP to help the member decide whether to purchase the item. Their eBay Store has over 700 items, and over 13,000 feedback.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nobody*s_perfect

"The boys have a Facebook page where members can post their finds WHILE they're still in the Goodwill store or wherever, for other group members to discuss ASAP to help the member decide whether to purchase the item. Their eBay Store has over 700 items, and over 13,000 feedback."

I like the spirit of that.   I don't know anyone who could argue against what they are doing.  I run solo, and I'm only pushing 10K feedback between my accounts so I know what kind of effort and knowledge it takes to get there.  It's commendable and certainly not worthy of some of the implied disparagement.  I know it's aspirational television (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MjoB3vgv8)  -- they want to make it look like anyone can do it.

But still as I earlier implied that holding a calculator no more makes you a mathematician than holding a smart phone makes you a picker, people who need to rely on those tools too heavily are usually hobbyists.   The net effect of a few more hobbyists on anyone who has been doing this a long time is minimal.

Case in point,  just 30 minutes ago, I saw one of these phonedrones looking up items in the AC adapter section at Goodwill.  I didn't fret about how much I had lost because he already had looked up all the good stuff and carted it.  Instead I moved past him to the sections he hadn't been to.  

If you have been doing this long enough to where you can rely on your own brain to assess items rather than having to stop and look everything up, it will always give you an advantage of those who require tools.

Please use plain text.
adamcorp
Community Member

show really stinks so far about as good as the ton and Allen Auction Hunters sit com..it aint real

Please use plain text.
cumos55
Community Member

in reply to adamcorp

Many realities..

(1) I have been everywhere.... Garage sales, charity sales, church sales, estate sales... and finally thrift stores....  and more ... I go everywhere,  and many times where no one, or atleast not many have gone before.

(2) Pricing has changed... and many times the price is just so high you cannot buy and make money on eBay

(3) Not everyone knows "How to price  at these many thrifty venues"

(4) In order to find something... you always have to be looking.... always......  

(5) Never be envious of what someone else finds...  for very soon you will find it too....and at a better price....

(6) There will always (well almost always) something that no one knows anything about.

(7) Some pickers can be a painful experience.....fortunately  they learn their lesson..... and go away

(8) Go out ... and "out-pick" those painful pickers....

(9) Starting out without any knowledge can kill the business end of selling.

(10) Keep on trucking.

I have been  associated with antique and collectables for close to 35 years.  Been going to auctions that long... country auctions, city auctions, and filled up a house with furniture , antiques, collectables, artwork and more....

Then came garage sales.... and things worked well until  they found the magic of eBay.  That is an eBay price,  BUT... how much does it cost to sell on eBay....  or then pay someone to sell it on eBay.

It is easy to find it... harder to sell it at the right price......

And selling on eBay means finding new inventory, new categories of inventory ...  and literally working until the sun do'nt shine.....over and over and over again.... and then more....

Profit is based on know how to buy at the lowest price possible

Perhaps the biggest thing to know about selling  is

Knowing what NOT to buy ... what NOT to do... and finally knowing when to dump it and keep on going

Please use plain text.
cumos55
Community Member

in reply to cumos55

Forgot to list auction sales.

Here one has to wait out the high bidders.... and keep going to auctions,  over and over and over again, as the only way to get the good deals.

Know what to buy  and how much  NOT to bid....

Good example... Buy two boxes of books about Magic, Voodoo, Spells and more....Buy for $4.00

Kept the 13 best, most valuable, books... and sell the remainder to a local antiques/collectables/book dealer  for $20... already made a profit.

Sell the first book for $100,  and then the total for 12 books was close to $350.

Book number 13 never did sell... and that was off to a charity sale....  Number 13 was not a lucky number 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to adamcorp

"show really stinks so far about as good as the ton and Allen Auction Hunters sit com..it aint real"

that used to be my favorite one of the storage locker shows when it was on the air here.  I didn't like all the drama that happens on the other shows. same reason why i quit watching the father/son bike builders, couldn't handle that drama **bleep**. if i want that, i go back to work at the family business and get it first hand. Maybe because i lived through it, i can't handle watching it on tv but it seemed the people uptown that is why they liked watching it, not me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cumos55

The Dump

and it is free..Here in NH some of the dump have Treasure Huts

You bring stuff, you take stuff

I found so many great thing, a old carriage clock, old dishes

italien espresso maker..vita mix and so much more

and books galore.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pembroke22

It is amazing what some people think is junk and just throw away. I watch people's garbage on pickup day. anything that looked salable or for scrap, i threw in the truck.  Sometimes that garbage pick made you a benjamin or more. I don't get out much on garbage day anymore so haven't done it lately. Was nice when i had the newspaper bundle drop 15 years ago on garbage day and that was ebays hay days too, worked pretty good together.

Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

in reply to fuzzface50

The problem with the auction shows (and has anyone seen the unclaimed baggage auction show?) is that they send the completely wrong message out to the viewers about how to buy.

Item, locker, ect comes up and they look it over and announce that they want the locker and promptly bid because the other guy isn't going to take the item away from them... in essence they are going to win at any cost.  Well winning in the reselling world means you make money and lots of it.  You aren't going to make money by overbidding.  When you over bid to win, then you change to the he who dies with the most toys wins hoarder bumper sticker.

And then they go through the items they won and start announcing how much they are worth.  Show of hands, how many reading this have sold every item they ever got for the value they think they are going to get for it???  Not seeing hands out there.

The shows give a false sense of value to the idjits that are watching the shows.  I equate the buying/selling reality shows with having the same amount of reality as WWF wrestling.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to retrose1

Your right Rose. i used to do the storage auctions before they were on tv. you could make money but you got alot of garbage too. Now that they make it look easy on tv, so many people show up from multiple states and they go rediculously high. they are not fun anymore being herded like cattle past the doors to get your 15 seconds look that we used to get 10 minutes or more before.

my favorite lately is probably the container wars. probably because they show quite a few of them losing and they do admit it. I think also because i've been shipping a few bigger items across seas this last summer so it peaked my interest.

Please use plain text.