Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Re: Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

in reply to May 25, 2013 4:16:16 AM
discount60
Adventurer

First Ebay keeps msg us saying add more pics and now they say change them. Does anybody realize the time and money involved in changing 100s of listings . We edited some of ours and are still getting the notice they don't comply. I can see removing listings with the colored borders or ads over the listings as it looks trashy. We will have to shut down to relist 100s of listings and change pics. It will take weeks if it the changes do go thru for us which is doubtful as they haven't so far.

Message 21 of 33

in reply to May 25, 2013 7:13:37 AM
Rockstar

discount60

I checked your current listings using this tool:

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ListingPhotoSizes.htm

You have scads of undersized photos and it looks like all of them are in good-til-cancelled (GTC) listings. Any GTC listings that already exist on the July 1 deadline, are exempt from the new photo policy until you edit those listings or until you end and relist them.

So you will have plenty of time to improve the photo size after the deadline, which you will want to do as monitors increase in resolution and undersized photos begin to look like thumbnails.

Message 22 of 33

in reply to May 27, 2013 5:59:53 PM
aggie2638
Rising Star

I Do NOT  like all of the CHANGES  to EBAY....Including the Pictures.  It used to be easy and FUN.  Now it is a PAIN...

Message 23 of 33

in reply to May 27, 2013 6:02:40 PM
aggie2638
Rising Star

WHY  ALL  THE  CHANGES ?????????  I HAVE  BEEN  DOING EBAY  SINCE 1998,  AND  I  LOVED  IT.  NOW ---  IT IS  ALL  RULES  &  RESTRICTIONS  AND  BAD  CHANGES...

Message 24 of 33

in reply to Jun 1, 2013 9:52:22 AM
smurf1face64
Pathfinder

I just got some useless message/email about my images not being up to snuff.  HA!  What are they going to do, throw me off?   They apparently wouldn't do that even if I was refusing to pay for items.   Not taking Ebay seriously anymore.  They are just cowards who only care about money.  They can stuff this and any future warnings.

Message 25 of 33

in reply to Jun 1, 2013 4:27:59 PM
Rockstar

aggie2638, this is not an opinion thread. We are just posting the policy so it will be available in one place for those looking for clarification and resources. This thread is monitored by other members, not eBay.

If you would like to make a comment to eBay, they have a link at the bottom of the page called tell us what you think.

smurf1face64, this is not an opinion thread (eBay is not going to hear you). It is a help thread staffed by volunteer members and was posted for those seeking Picture policy clarification or help meeting the new policy standards. No need to insult the helpers by posting editorial comment.

You may use this tool to check your images for size compliance.

Message 26 of 33

in reply to Jun 4, 2013 7:48:02 AM
Rockstar

Arrows, Circles, and Lines to mark Flaws WILL be allowed

In the Spring 2013 forum, eBay reversed their previous policy on lines and circles added to images to call out flaws. Simple lines, circles, and arrows MAY now be applied to photos to call out defects and details, but text is still not allowed and can't be added to the callouts.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/2013-Spring-Seller/Picture-Quality-Requirements/5100144060?start=26

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Photos-Html/Arrows-Or-Lines/5100160011

Exempt Categories

Tickets, eBay Motors Vehicles, eBay Motors Parts & Accessories, and Good ‘Til Cancelled listings are exempted.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/2013-Spring-Seller/Picture-Quality-Requirements/5100144060?start=8

eBay Stock Photos

eBay stock photos are exempt from the picture policies. If eBay's Catalog items do not have photos, or the photos go missing, eBay will not penalize the listing.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/2013-Spring-Seller/Picture-Quality-Requirements/5100144060?start=10

Message 27 of 33

in reply to Jun 21, 2013 4:09:36 PM
ginimaui
Enthusiast

NOT a FRIENDLY POLICY!    I looked a the photos that are apparently 'too small' and they are clear and detailed.  They were cropped from the original to show detail!  I am not a professional photographer and can't take the photos any closer.  I totally agree with folks on this discussion board that eBay should take another look at this very restrictive and unfair policy.  Even the support folks don't seem to know the difference between 'too small' and 'low resolution'.  I would imaging that the original intent was to make photos clearer, not just 'larger??  The solution  is either retake all the photos or go through an impossible correction procedure.  I just don't think it is worth all the trouble.   (one of the rejected photos was actually a professional photo,)

Message 28 of 33

Re: Re: Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

Re: Re: Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

in reply to Jun 23, 2013 10:17:31 AM
milmac
Adventurer

Almost 100% of my gallery photos do not meet the July 1 requirement.  Why?  Because they were all listed thru TURBO LISTER..!!   Below link was provided to me last week by an ebay rep.

At the top of page one of this link is the following:

6/15/2013 - eBay has recently updated TurboLister to ver 9.907.105. It was previously shrinking photos to 400 pixels.  If using TurboLister, upgrade your program BEFORE fixing your undersized photos.

Well, now I know why my photos are non-compliant - I list them all on EBAY's own product, which has been reducing my gallery photos to 400 pixels max..!!

So, I figured out how to make use of the ISDNTEK link and started to do the changes to  GTC using the ENLARGED photo which ebay will kindly provide if you click ENLARGE at bottom of  the listings.  OK, so I don't have to redo my photos.  But, I do still need to go in and EDIT every one of the 2,900+ items to allow for the gallery photo.

So the big question I have now is SINCE EBAY IS ABLE TO ENLARGE OUR PHOTOS, WHY IS EBAY NOT AUTOMATING THIS FUNCTION.. going in and editing each item which is  non-compliant with the larger photo which ebay is already able to generate?????    This would allow sellers to get back to the business of  LISTING ITEMS and, the point of it all, making $$$$ for ebay.

And, before anyone says no this cannot be done, remember that in Feb 2012 ebay replied to a question on this forum that it could NOT enlarge photos which are too small.  Wrong, they are doing it in this ISDNTEK facility. 

Suggestion:  Enhance ISDNTEK so that after the ENLARGE function is complete, another button can be clicked if seller wants the editing to be done automatically.    This is a per-page function, but I am sure that I could whip thru my 30 pages really quickly..!!

Please consider this carefully, ebay, as untold number of Seller hours could be saved and we would all be forever grateful..  It's not too late!

milmac

Message 29 of 33

in reply to Jun 24, 2013 2:56:55 PM
Rockstar

milmac, let me clarify a few points.

eBay is recommending this third-party tool to help you locate your undersized photos. The tool, not eBay, is providing the enlargement option, but the caveat is that enlarging photos may decrease quality.

eBay would not enlarge your photos because they did not want to reduce the quality of your photos and make them blurry. For every happy enlargement, there would be one unhappy enlargement. If you enlarge on the ISDNTEK site, you do so at your own risk and should take the time to look at the enlargement to see if the quality is acceptable. The tool can not automatically update your listings because it has no access to your seller account.

It is unforgivable that eBay's own tools caused your problem, however, the is no way eBay could undo the situation. The full-sized photos are no longer available to eBay. So sellers must go in and make their own corrections.

By the way, if your items are GTC (good til cancelled), they are grandfathered until edited (or until ended and relisted), and that will allow more time to find originals and replace them in your listings, instead of falling back on inferior enlargements.

Message 30 of 33

in reply to Nov 5, 2013 9:04:28 PM
ccajcsilla
Explorer

I agree. My pictures are always clear and show my item accurately. Now, my best pictures aren't being accepted. Retaking all those pictures will be a huge chore! Bad idea ebay!!!!!

Message 31 of 33

in reply to Feb 25, 2014 11:54:33 AM
sundance94595
Adventurer

This has really been a huge hassle!    I usually have 600-800  listings. The vast majority of people do not know what pixel width is, they just post pictures right from their camera unedited.  I crop my pictures tight, showing just what I am selling.  500 is more than enough for most pictures BUT ALL of my pictures were at least 1200-1800 when I listed them!  Ebay resized my pictures when the 30 automatic renewal came or somewhere down the line. Whenever Ebay says I have to put larger pictures in I search my archive and find the original picture and re insert it, taking dozens of hours so far!    If I upload large enough pictures (1600 pixels or larger) why do they end up being 400 pixels after a few months?

Message 32 of 33

in reply to Feb 25, 2014 2:46:55 PM
Rockstar

sundance94595 wrote:

If I upload large enough pictures (1600 pixels or larger) why do they end up being 400 pixels after a few months?

One of two possibilities:

1) Is your Turbo Lister updated? About 8 months ago, eBay updated Turbo Lister so that it would no longer shrink photos to the old 400 pixel standard. If you have an outdated program, it may continue to shrink photos when you synchronize.

2) Did you update the photos in your TL inventory? If you are pulling old items out of inventory to relist, the program may be picking up the old archived images that are 400 pixels instead of pulling in your new sizes that were added to new listings or relists

Message 33 of 33