Highlighted

Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

Rockstar

A Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

Source:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellingresources/picturestandards.html

Coming this fall: New Picture Quality Standards

Your listing should give buyers everything they need to make a decision. And a successful listing starts with great pictures. We’re putting these picture quality requirements in place to help you take better photos and sell more stuff. When the new picture quality standards take effect this fall, they will only apply to new, revised, and relisted listings.

New minimum picture size.

• eBay will require a minimum length of 500 pixels for the longest side of an image; setting your camera's default to High or Medium picture quality will ensure your pictures are large enough. For the best possible display of your listing on all eBay pages, take pictures with a 1600-pixel dimension on the longest side.

Standard Pixel Size

New picture formatting & usage.

• Don't use borders on your pictures.
    Borders are not allowed on any of your pictures. The only exception is if you have a 'natural' border created by photographing your square or rectangular item against a neutral-colored backdrop. This is often done with stamps or other paper items to call attention to flaws that may exist. In this instance, the visible edges of the background may give the appearance of a border.

Standard No Border

No border or frame

• No text or artwork on pictures.
    No text or artwork may be added, such as "Free shipping" or seller logos.

Standard No Logos

No logos or artwork

• Watermarks for ownership and attribution only.
    Marketing information, including specific details about your item or customer service, cannot be part of your watermark. Watermarks should be no bigger than 5% of the total image area, have an opacity of no more than 50%, and never obscure the item. Links are not allowed in watermarks.

Standard Watermarks

Watermarks solely for establishing ownership

• Stock photos for new or refurbished items only.
    Catalog pictures are acceptable but not as the primary photo for a used item; exceptions are the Books, Movies, Music, and Video Game categories. Video Game Consoles, however, must adhere to the new standard.

• Every listing must have at least one picture.
    Listings without accompanying pictures will no longer be allowed.

2012 Photo Policy - Where did eBay say:

February 2012 - Spring Seller Update announcement

Spring Update 2012

Requirements & FAQs

Fees & FAQs

Picture Standards

February 28, 2012 - Spring Seller Update forum

New Image rules apply to ALL eBay-hosted listing photos

Native text on product is ok but signs or labels added to photo staging are not
(ie, http://imgur.com/0DDKw)

No text allowed on color palettes or item selections in variations

Limited Watermarks are allowed

Overdone Watermarks not allowed

No Borders allowed (any modification of photo to add any size or color border)

Scanner borders on flat media (matted prints, postcards, stamps, edge details)

Lines and arrows not allowed

Stitched and composite photos are allowed

Good til cancelled listings are not affected by new picture policy until relisted or revised

Reasons for prohibiting text or borders in pictures include (search engines, mobile devices, buyer experience)

eBay motors parts & accessories not affected by new policy...yet.

Third party hosting is OK. Photos down in description are not affected by new photo guidelines. Those photos are not hosted on eBay.

HTML is discouraged, for mobile device compatibility

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES

Re: Snapshot of eBay 2012 Picture Policies

in reply to Apr 26, 2012 6:06:39 AM
karu2
Adventurer

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this invaluable information:-)

Message 2 of 33

in reply to Apr 27, 2012 10:13:11 AM

Hi Shipscript,

Thanks for the quesion. The fall picture policies applies to all pictures, not simply the gallery photo.

-Jess

Message 3 of 33

in reply to May 28, 2012 8:38:01 AM
Rockstar

To see how your listing will perform in the smaller mobile phone window, go to:

http://m.ebay.com/

and type your item number in the search bar.

There are three tabs, and your description will be rearranged to fit on the third tab, using multiple pages if necessary. Only the text will be displayed there.

Message 4 of 33

in reply to May 29, 2012 5:47:56 PM
laura21743
Adventurer

More dictatorship, less individuality and freedom. X-(  Demoralizing! I used to use the watermark to make sure people saw a flaw and knew it had been repaired, but can't do that now. This continual theft of freedom is demoralizing!! There seems to be nothing left to the seller's discretion anymore....nothing!! I don't know if  it bothers anyone else, but I am absolutely sick of it.

Message 5 of 33

in reply to May 30, 2012 8:59:37 AM
Rockstar

jess@ebay.com, thanks for clarification that the new policy will apply to all 12 eBay photos, not just the main gallery photo that appears in searches. The latter had been erroneously reported by Griff and others in forum posts, and this clarification is appreciated.

[note: Jess's post is in answer to a direct question about all 12 photos and does not refer to self-hosted photos down in the description, which are excluded from the policy.]

Message 6 of 33

in reply to Jun 4, 2012 12:38:16 PM
Rockstar

Calling out Flaws or Details in a photo

Question: Since sellers are not allowed to call attention to defects using arrows or circles on a photo, sellers are desperate for a solution that will prevent buyer disappointment and costly returns. So my first sheet has six photos that use an overlay image to call attention to a smaller area of the photo. Reading left to right, would all six photos be allowed?

eBay Answer: Any of the photos with defects and flaws are fine. All 6 are good.

YES

http://answercenter.ebay.com/servlet/ImgServlet?mx=600&attachImage=true&contentType=image/jpeg&attachment=900001473&crop=false

eBay said all six photos in this panel would be allowed. These 6 photos are used to highlight a detail or flaw in an item. Notice that each main image has been faded and the detail is inset with a shadow. I included a cameo version and a feathered edge version.

Protecting Digital or Photographic Art for sale

Question: Sellers of digital art and photo art are really at a disadvantage (particularly with the new larger image sizes), to the point that eBay should not be a selling venue due to the severe theft issue. Normally, such sellers would use industry standard "proof" lines through the photo (as shown in the top image), but the "no lines" policy prevents that. Would the second and third image of "noise" lines or blurs on the photo be allowed? One seller reports that watermarking is not the solution because the photos are stolen even with the signature (as if it were signed artwork).

eBay Answer: None of the examples are ok. The later 2 distort the image too much to get the full depth and breadth of what the buyer is purchasing. And the first image has obvious lines through it which make it difficult for the amateur to steal, but could easily be fixed via Photoshop and really don't provide any more safety than not touching the picture and having the watermark.

NO

http://answercenter.ebay.com/servlet/ImgServlet?mx=800&attachImage=true&contentType=image/jpeg&attachment=900001474&crop=false

NO. eBay disallowed all three formats.

The first was disallowed because it clearly conflicts with the no-lines policy. The latter two because the distortion made it difficult to determine what was being sold (are the blur lines part of the image). eBay recommended a watermark across the image rather than the blur lines.

Here is a watermark that eBay has previously approved for protecting a photo.

YES

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Caroline-Munro-Hand-Signed-8x10-Photo-Autographed-Bond-Girl-/00/s/MTAyNFg4MTc=/$(KGrHqV,!nkE8VSKi6H(BPH)cbkv5w~~60_1.JPG

Message 7 of 33

in reply to Sep 17, 2012 1:00:06 PM
Rockstar

Photo restrictions have been postponed until 2013

July 2012 - Fall Seller Update Announcement

Fall Seller Update

The important details regarding image hosting are:

• Starting in October, new listings and relistings will be required to include a picture.

• The other requirements for photos (size, no-text, no-borders, etc) are postponed until 2013, after the holiday season.

July 24, 2012 - Fall Seller Update Forum

2012 Photo Policy - Where did eBay say:

[ed. I have added some clarification in brackets]

Marking Flaws

#2 We are exploring solutions to help sellers call out details in pictures in the gallery.

#1 In addition, we are exploring ways for sellers to annotate pictures in the gallery.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sarah-Coventry-Celestial-Fire-Bracelet-Rhinestone-SAC-/00/$%28KGrHqYOKiIE4qHsQCinBOU%28G4zpLg~~_2.JPG

Watermarks

#1 watermark rules

#3 Yes, inclusion of your logo [a slip of paper at right] in the picture will be considered text on picture [and will not be allowed].

#2 Your [solid text] watermark [across entire bottom of photo]: the good news is the watermark does not obstruct your item, but it is bigger than the 5% of total picture area size policy [image at right].

#2 Currently, there are no tools on eBay to determine the opacity of your watermark.

#3 The new picture policy regarding text will go into effect in 2013.

#9 Yes, there is a team here at eBay working on OCR solutions: optical character recognition. This technology can distringuish letters and whether they are on an object that has been photographed or have been added to the picture.

#1 The policy is detailed in order to provide sufficient guidance to folks looking to develop watermarks, not to punish sellers with existing listings.

Applied Backgrounds

#1 Our photo best practices suggest shooting items against a solid background to keep the attention on the item... which appears in many of your listings, i.e. the green astroturf background. We don't suggest using some of the busier, graphic-intensive backdrops.

#2 The best practice is to photograph items against a solid background. The [blue and gold starburst rays] background shown in the Age of Empires example [right] isn't prohibited, per se, if you're placing the item on that background. However, if you are adding that background as a border, after you shot the item, it could be prohibited under the no borders requirement. Ultimately, we want the focus to be on the item.

Size

#1 The 500 pixels [minimum requirement] on longest side of image requirement will go in to effect sometime in 2013. The requirement will apply to new, relisted, and revised listings...so if you have current listings that include pictures that don't meet the new size requirement they won't be removed.

Photo rules apply to:

#7 Pictures in the main gallery [top left of listing] - whether uploaded to eBay picture hosting or hosted by a third party like PHOTOBUCKET [or by a listing service] - can not have added text.

#4 Rules apply only to photos in eBay picture gallery

• "no text on pictures" applies to pictures uploaded to eBay picture hosting, meaning the primary photo and those in the gallery

• pictures with text are still allowed when placed in the Item Description

Where Photo rules don't apply:

#1 [Used media in] Books, Movies, Music, and Video Game categories ... can use a stock photo.

#1 If you are selling in the Motors Parts & Accessories category, you're exempt from the new policy.

#4 Pictures with text [or borders and hosted on another service] are still allowed when placed in the Item Description .

Third-party image hosting

#15 TurboLister, it does support HTML text in item description. Seller can use HTML to embed multiple pictures. Meaning, if your pictures are hosted on a third party site, you can include the links to those images within TurboLister for appearance in the item description

Policy

#2 One reason for the new policy is that external search engines give pictures with text on them a lower ranking.

#1 The reasons for the new rule:

• many sellers are adding text and graphics for things like shipping origin or sizes available, or colors, that are better accommodated in other areas of a listing

• buyers tell us that clean images (without lots of text) are a key part of their buying process

• images with text can receive lower rankings by external search engines

Message 8 of 33

in reply to Sep 29, 2012 8:08:37 AM
dixiecat3313
Adventurer

It would be great if eBay would reconsider the "picture size requirement" that is coming in February 2013 and "grandfather in" existing pictures and require new listings to have the required size.

I have more than 650 items in my store with no way to revise the current Gallery picture. It will take me weeks to retake the pictures (time I don't have).

I can't be the only Seller that will have this problem. In the end, it will cost eBay money because we will be spending many hours fixing the picture size instead of preparing new listings (eBay will not get Listing Fees and FVF fees from us while we do this chore).

If all of us who will be affected by this new requirement would take a minute and go to Tell Us What You Think (at the bottom of most eBay pages) and suggest that eBay "Grandfather In" our pictures, maybe they will re-examine the requirement.

Message 9 of 33

in reply to Sep 29, 2012 9:09:51 AM
Rockstar

GTC listings are already grandfathered.

See the "Good til cancelled listings are not affected by new picture policy until relisted or revised" topic above, or see these specific posts by eBay staff:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/February-28-2012/How-Long-Will/5100052695

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/February-28-2012/New-Photo-Size/5200071339

Message 10 of 33

in reply to Dec 4, 2012 5:39:59 PM
rr-pots
Pathfinder

Untrue.  Pictures that we have had in our eBay store for over a year are being deleted every day.  Some of the items that the photos are removed, we cannot locate from the description alone.  Don't know how our photoshop photos can be the right size and, when uploaded to eBay, they are all of a sudden too small.  Any advice?  We have four to six photos of over 670 items--over 3000 photos.  The old gallery photos are NOT being grandfathered in at all and the new photos we take are going to be the same way--smaller when uploaded.  No incentive to list and this is the busiest season.  Thanks so much!

Message 11 of 33

in reply to Dec 4, 2012 5:43:53 PM
rr-pots
Pathfinder

I don't know where the February start date came from because eBay is removing pictures that we have had posted for over a year in some cases--two or three a day and have been for a month.  Additionally, our photoshop photos that are uploaded to eBay are the correct size or larger--when they're uploaded, they are smaller.  How can that be fixed?  I'm at my wits end since we have four to six photos of over 670 unique items.  Once the photos are removed, we are having trouble identifying from the description, what the item actually is.  Did you every get any suggestions.  Retaking pictures won't solve the problem we have.  I don't have a clue what to do and starting this in December during one of the busiest times of the year is a crock!

Message 12 of 33

in reply to Dec 4, 2012 5:51:42 PM
rr-pots
Pathfinder

This is not accurate that the 500 pixel size will apply to new, revised or relisted items.  It is also incorrect that it will not go into effect until sometime in 2013.  We have items removed everyday--two or three a day.  I called and was told the size was not accurate.  Some of these items have been listed in our eBay store for over a year.  Our photoshop has photos the right size and when uploaded to eBay, they are smaller.  I can't list right now since I don't want to waste my time and it is the busiest season of the year.  Any words of advice?

Message 13 of 33

in reply to Dec 5, 2012 11:18:26 AM
Rockstar

rr-pots

This thread deals with eBay Picture Policy.

The policies quoted above came directly from eBay policy  management, so they reflect the intention of the policy.

If you are experiencing anything to the contrary, then you are seeing a technical problem, not a change in policy. The policies have not been changed.

I would recommend starting a new thread to deal with the technical problems outlined in your three posts. It would also be helpful if you would remove your technical-issue posts from this policy thread to avoid confusion and deter similarly unrelated posts. ;-)

Message 14 of 33

in reply to Apr 27, 2013 2:43:14 PM

I agree, this is an insane policy by eBay. I have thousands of items that will be effected by this. I am paying about $1500/mo in eBay fees and there is no way that I will be able to update all of these items with new photos. I just don't see the logic behind it, if someone doesn't like a picture of an item...they don't have to buy it.

Message 15 of 33

in reply to May 10, 2013 5:10:06 PM
united2gether
Trailblazer

i can't find anywhere in the current/new policy that it says the new standards only apply to eBay hosted pics and that self-hosted pics in the listing description are exempt from the new picture standards.   

I see the links to posted comments that the new standards will only apply to eBay hosted pics.  Does that mean the pics in descriptions can have watermarks, graphics/texts, borders, be smaller than 500 pixels longest length?

Also, the example of the  faded feathered bordered picture with the smaller picture imposed.  Wouldn't the background picture there be considered to have a frame?  Or is a ruffled border not considered a frame? 

Wouldn't the shadow be a frame, so to speak too?  I would have thought so, but those are nice touches if they would be permitted in the eBay picture hosted photogallery pics...

Message 16 of 33

in reply to May 11, 2013 4:50:56 PM
Rockstar

united2gether

Also, the example of the  faded feathered bordered picture with the smaller picture imposed.  Wouldn't the background picture there be considered to have a frame?  Or is a ruffled border not considered a frame? 

Wouldn't the shadow be a frame, so to speak too?  I would have thought so, but those are nice touches if they would be permitted in the eBay picture hosted photogallery pics...

The six examples of feathered and shaded overlays were presented to and approved by Jess@ebay as a method for highlighting flaws only. It is important to understand that the methods are used to clarify, not to create pretty effects. The effects can be accomplished in many image editors or using this free online tool.

In one of the linked posts, his staff also approves an inset photo (a closeup with an inset of the full item) and composite photos (stitching 2 side-by-side). However, it is unclear how white-space separation between hard-edged composites will be treated by the filters.

Jess provides his eBay credentials as "Head of eBay Trust Factors" on this post.

If you read the pink-lined posts by eBay staff (and there is at least one in every link I posted in the summary list), you will see comments by Jess@ebay.com and his staff, so you can trust all the staff comments posted on those threads and any clarifications to those comments and will know that they trump any comments you might receive on the phone with customer service.

Message 17 of 33

in reply to May 13, 2013 2:29:21 AM

Hi

http://www.exportyourstore.com can easily help and change all of your products picture and upload to eBay.

They can also handle huge amount of products.

Thank you.

Message 18 of 33

in reply to May 17, 2013 1:03:30 PM
united2gether
Trailblazer

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2012b/boostsales.html

If you read the pink-lined posts by eBay staff (and there is at least one in every link I posted in the summary list), you will see comments by Jess@ebay.com and his staff, so you can trust all the staff comments posted on those threads and any clarifications to those comments and will know that they trump any comments you might receive on the phone with customer service.

thank you so much for taking the time & effort to answer these kinds of questions!  very helpful and much appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 33

in reply to May 25, 2013 4:11:10 AM
discount60
Adventurer

We also have 100s of listings affected. Ebay just sent us a list and its all of our listings. If buyers don't like the pics buy elsewhere. We have no idea what is wrong with the pics as many are over 500 pixels so how do we fix something when ebay doesn't say whats wrong with it. They need to worry about the listings with ads over the pics such as quantities and free shipping and colored borders. First ebay keeps saying add pics and when we do they say change them. Hopefully we can pick one and delete all the extras from each listing which again will hurt sales. we are getting really frustrated with constant changes against the sellers. It might be a good time to look for other online marketplaces. Its hard enough to make a profit now and then spend weeks and weeks trying to figure out why our pics don't comply.

Message 20 of 33