eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Should I cancel or open an unpaid item case?
I sold an item and have been waiting for two days. Just when I was about to open the unpaid item case, the buyer asked me to cancel transaction because it was bought by mistake. This was an auction and bid on early on. I don't want to let buyers get away with not buying. I also don't know if I will get my seller fees back if I cancel and this was a 15 dollar purchase when including shipping (I don't know if ebay charges fees for shipping. Other wise it was 4.00 - pair of boots) Should I risk opening a case, her paying and me getting negative feedback or just eat my losses? She can still leave feedback if I cancel. She had a long time to retract her bid during the auction and she has waited this long to try to cancel.
Accepted Solution
meekopla
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jhowell0387

In your site preferences you have a chance to set up automatic unpaid item cases. eBay will contact the Buyer and tell them to pay up. it will do this within 2 days if you set it up that way. Buyers who wait until auction ends to change their mind isn't being fair to you or the other bidders for your item.

Before replying to the Buyer, research and see if they have purchased the item from another Seller for less money. By signing out of your account and going into eBay to review your item number click on their id in the bids ( ) This will present all of their bidding activities. You can also go to advance and look at what they have actually purchased for 30 days. Also, check and see how many retractions they have noted in their feedback. It is possible that they are a frequent flyer for doing this. This method may sway your decision whether to open the case or cancel the transaction.

It's a tough call. Once you use eBay Seller Tools made available for you, it will become easier to do the right thing for you.

" The real secret of happiness is not what you have or what you receive; it's what you share. " - anonymous
Other Answers: 1
sunnysouth1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jhowell0387

I would file the Unpaid Item dispute, but it's up to you. There are very few situations that I don't file the UPI, especially if the bidder bid early, doesn't pay and then wants out of the transaction. Of course there are circumstances where cancelling is best. Again it's up to you.

If you want to cancel the transaction the buyer will have to agree in order for you to get your fees refunded. eBay charges a final value fee on price and shipping.

Sunny

"If the world were ruled by women then there would be no war… just a couple of nations not talking with each other."