eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Read The New Announcement on Customs Declaration Forms

All sellers should make sure they read this new announcement about properly declaring selling prices on customs declaration form:

***Reporting Value on Customs Declarations***

August 22, 2006 | 01:59PM PST/PT

Postal administrations in several international countries have contacted the United States Postal Service about the declaration of value placed on customs forms. They have noted that in many cases, the declared value is understated when compared to the actual invoice or known value of the item, especially for sales conducted over the internet.

While this applies to sellers both on and off eBay, the USPS has asked us to remind our sellers to declare the proper value on all customs forms.

The correct value of each item is required on customs forms as it helps determine the proper duties and taxes, and whether they should be applied. Some countries will soon begin taking steps to address this issue, such as levying fines on the addressee when the declared value is
determined to be lower than the invoice.

To make sure you're complying with international regulations, please make sure the stated value on your customs declaration is supported by your invoices or other documentation.

You can also send this to buyers who ask you to report items as gifts.

The length of a minute is dependent on which side of the bathroom door you are located.

Community Member

in reply to willysgrandma
This is a good one to save and send back to people who ask to put gift on the forms.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Check free seller tools on my "me" page: hourly counters, auction templates, image hosts, business cards, feedback tools, and many more! Time and money savers for all!

Check free seller tools on my page:hourly counters, auction templates, image hosts, business cards,
feedback tools, and many more! Time and money savers for all!
Community Member

I'm glad they announced this, and now I have extra "ammo" for buyers who request I lie on customs forms, which I will not do, and give me a hard time for refusing.

This is also why I include an invoice with every international shipment.

Community Member

Ha!! Just saw that you said exactly that at the bottom ofyour post. great minds run on the same track!

Check free seller tools on my "me" page: hourly counters, auction templates, image hosts, business cards, feedback tools, and many more! Time and money savers for all!

Check free seller tools on my page:hourly counters, auction templates, image hosts, business cards,
feedback tools, and many more! Time and money savers for all!
Community Member

Hi All-

I have a quick question - is the declared value the selling price or the ARV? Sometimes items sell for way less than the known value and if you put the sale price on it it will be less than the known value.

Just to be clear...
Angela
Community Member

They have noted that in many cases, the declared value is understated when compared to the actual invoice or known value of the item, especially for sales conducted over the internet.

Angela, it take this to mean that the price on the invoice is the value on the item.

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

**Loud Pipes Save Lives - Motorcycles Are Everywhere - Look Twice, Save a Life**

Community Member

I think it might have been a good idea if they also mentioned that the value does not include shipping. I know the sellers here know it, but not all new sellers do.
Community Member

Also, it is important to note on the Customs Form if an item is 'used' as opposed to new. Customs agents are aware that used items, even if they appear virtually new, will generally have a lower perceived value than new items. If an item is used and the form is marked as such, it can speed the customs process.

**Loud Pipes Save Lives - Motorcycles Are Everywhere - Look Twice, Save a Life**

Community Member

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=1000343312&tstart=0&mod=1156334652190

What do you think you're doing?

----
Note: This poster does not respond to off-board emails.
Community Member

is the declared value the selling price or the ARV?

The declared value is the ending bid price - no shipping.

It is what would appear on your invoice if you add one to the box.

The length of a minute is dependent on which side of the bathroom door you are located.

Community Member

Can a pink tack this to the top of the page? We get at least one person a week posting here that someone has asked them to lie on the customs form.

Community Member

It would be great if a pink could tack this, but I think seller central is currently pink-less. They've abandoned us.

Community Member

Hi everyone,

I was just swinging by and saw your request - this thread has been tacked to the upper part of the board.

Have a good one!

Zigmund
Community Development
1st-oliveoyl
Community Member

it is important to note on the Customs Form if an item is 'used' as opposed to new.

Great idea! I will start doing just that.

I had an astute buyer from England ask me to put the word "antique" on the custom's form. Since it was indeed a very old Kestner doll, I did so. Something about special handling through customs for antique items.

Just for the record, I have NEVER had a buyer ask me to lie on a custom form. I state in my TOS that "All customs and declaration forms will be filled out accurately and honestly."
Community Member

Thanks for tacking this, zigmund.

Community Member

I have a buddy who sold an item for $950 on eBay to a buyer in Germany. The buyer asked for a value to be listed of $40 on the customs form. My buddy didn't think that was a problem so he marked that on the form. Long story short: German customs seized the item for being undervalued. The buyer never got his item. The buyer filed a PayPal dispute, but because my buddy had proof the item had been shipped, the buyer was out $950 and had no item.

So the moral of the story is: not only can the buyer expect to pay higher duty if he is caught, he may end up losing the item to boot.
Community Member

I quit selling to Canada because of the constant requests for a reduced value (or gift designation) on the customs declaration and invoice. I wouldn't do it but resented the conflict it caused. Maybe I can reconsider expanding my sales outside the US with eBay's support to honest declarations.
Community Member

I haven't had anyone ask me to lie for years, but I still put it in all my listings that "all customs forms are completed accurately".

Does it bug anyone else that there is no "merchandise" checkbox on the customs forms now, though? "Gift", "Commercial Sample" etc...but I always have to check "Other" and then explain.

Lastly, I don't understand why anyone would agree to lie for someone who has already paid for an item (or hasn't for that matter). What does any seller have to gain from lying? Keep it professional, people!

~paddle

Community Member

That is a very interesting post on "quitting selling to canada".

I would like everyone to see my post in on the ebay canada profitability thread, where I have attacked the Canadian policy as protectionist vs the USA policy, and taht in the spirit of our supposed free trade agreement, both countries should have the same duty free mail order rate pegged at 200.00 US like it aleady is in the USA.

As a Canadian I have never asked anyone for an underdeclaration, but the complete ridulousness of the Canadian limit, as well as the cash windfall for courier companies is hampering both american and canadian seller profitability, as well as ebays profits.

FYI>
Community Member

where I have attacked the Canadian policy as protectionist vs the USA policy

Canadian protectionism? What short memories we have.

For starters, there was softwood lumber, which has now apparently been settled, with Canada coming out on the losing end.

And just to rub a little salt in the wound, the USDA has announced "emergency" measures that involve charging every Canadian arriving by air an extra $5.00, plus a fee for each aircraft, supposedly to cover the costs of potential "bioterrorism". Give me a break. If that isn't protectionism, then I will eat a dangerous Chilean apple, core, peel and all.

As to profitability of US sellers, they seem to be doing quite well with or without us. Just as long as they don't inflate the amount reported on the customs form, for insurance purposes.