eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

mermista91
Community Member

Question About Grayed out DSR's

Hi guys! I'm having a small problem.

I have a buyer who purchased an item from me Sunday 9/15, item shipped 9/16 and was delivered Wed. 9/18. That afternoon I get a message full to the brim of mads. I made a mistake, mixed up the months and sent the wrong issue. I apologized, told him to keep the wrong item and I shipped out the correct issue that day (9/18) and it's out for delivery today. So the buyer will get the correct item 5 days after purchase. 

I've never made a mistake like this before and based on his email, I'm going to go out on a limb here and be paranoid that he's not the forgiving type. So, I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst. I'm not sure about all of my DSR's though. I know he can slam description, communication and s/h cost.

I don't know about shipping time though. The item has two tracking numbers attached to it, the first that went out within 24 hours and the second which went out 3 days later. What are the chances that that star will be grayed out? Also, any suggestions for a response to a neg/newt? I guess I would say that I made a mistake and buyer had the right item 5 days after payment...would that be okay?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Question About Grayed out DSR's

in reply to mermista91

Unless your buyer complains and files a claim, the first tracking number should suffice. ebay does not care what is in the box for an INR (item not received) claim, only that a parcel arrived. 

SNAD (significantly not as described) complaint is a different story, and tracking numbers are not necessary. 

Has your buyer even opened a dispute by merely contacting you? 

From my experience, the ability of the buyer to rate DSR's that are supposed to be auto 5 is spotty at best. I have not had an item that I did not ship the same day or the next in the last nine years.....I have a star ding for shipping time.  I do not communicate with my buyers anymore, yet I got a 4 someplace along the line. 

I think if you ship quickly, and it gets there too fast, they buyer can rate. If they use a cell phone, the buyer can rate categories that would be grayed out. 

If your buyer has not left feedback yet, once they pay, they are free to leave any review they choose. The "truth" is not a requirement. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mermista91

I wouldn't worry yet.  He may be pleased to have kept the first wrong one and delighted to have the proper one within the week, that he won't slam you.  Do you have other low stars?  Your stars look good from this end.

And if he does leave you snarky f/b, answer just as you put here.  Inadvertently sent wrong issue, sent correct one next day.  or words to that effect.

Keep in mind that if he leaves postive f/b but dings your stars, that's a whole other thing.  That's reportable.  Others will weigh in on that .

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

"Has your buyer even opened a dispute by merely contacting you? "

itty, not to derail the conversation but I've just had to contact a seller about my package and it did not open a case.  It let me choose which was my problem (shipping..and that's a whole other flippin aggravation--sent by UPS, UPS takes it to the P.O. where it languishes)...anyway, it let me select shipping and then presented a message box for me to contact my seller.  So maybe they've fixed that??

Please use plain text.
mermista91
Community Member

in reply to catahoulacurry

He was not pleased with the first item and didn't want it, which he made very clear. He wanted something specific from the issue that he purchased. He's not a happy camper. *sigh*

I don't have any low stars in the last three months, but I have 3 total for 12 months all for shipping costs.  I haven't had any low stars since April...I think I can absorb them, but it's still a scary thing.

Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to mermista91
People have been conditioned to the concept of screaming gets what you want. So, they scream believing that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I respond the same way you did as that confuses them. They have been conditioned to expect a belligerent response.

You won't hear anything. You made them feel bad by being professional and taking care of everything.

Oh, fer! You have no negs or neuts and yer DSRs are fine. Go back to being a worry-wort and looking after your customers.
Please use plain text.
mermista91
Community Member

in reply to mermista91

A case, no...no case was opened against me.

Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to mermista91
Whut?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mermista91

If you're worried about your  shipping stars, just get your hands on some low weight items and offer free shipping for awhile.  Not everyone's inventory will allow that but that's what I did  when I got dinged.

Please use plain text.
mermista91
Community Member

in reply to catahoulacurry

I've actually already planned to do something like that. I got my hands on some smaller items, I plan on putting them up with shipping built in, offer free shipping and hopefully that'll help percentage wise.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mermista91

I get my treasures from yard sales so I have a ready supply of items of  all weights (if I never bought another thing I could sell for the next 5 years probably).  When I was dinged, I just concentrated on the things that could go first class, built in another $2 to the selling price and in no time I was 'healthy'.  Good luck!

Please use plain text.