eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

snow62
Community Member

Postage due on items!!! Sellers!!!

I sell here and buy here. Lately, almost every package i get coming in has postage due. As a seller, not at any given time do i print labels at home and ship from there. Most do. I take the package to the post office so it can be weighed and accurately tagged especially if i have listed the item as free shipping.

I am now getting, almost daily, at least one package coming in where i have to pay the postman, additional money to get the package i won as free shipping. Yes, so far,  all the vendors have refunded what i had to pay. But as a seller, we should all know this is not a good thing to do with the buyer. I have now a "do not buy from" list of vendors because everytime i do, i have to pay something.

Most of these are because they are attempting to send earrings thru the mail as a letter and that isn't going to happen. Just got a ring in for my store and had to pay $1.61 to get it! People, we all need to make some money and save some to, but as a buyer this is very frustrating cause now i have to keep a change jar to cover what the seller just didnt want to do. So from my seller side... just as a reminder to all those out there... please make sure the postage on the package is what it should be so your buyer is happy, you get rave reviews, 5 star feedback and dont have to contend with refunds.

Please use plain text.
the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth
Community Member

Re: Postage due on items!!! Sellers!!!

in reply to snow62

I have bought about 800 items in the past year and none of them have come postage due. Maybe the problem is YOUR post office misunderstanding the rules for certain types of packages? I would say if you're getting that many problems, the problem is likely local.

It could also be that you're buying in a category that borderlines the shipping options. Maybe it would be worth an email to your seller to tell them each time?

Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

in reply to snow62

While I certainly understand what you're saying.....................I doubt that the sellers here would actually be foolish enough to send valuables as a letter.........................

Seems rather amateurish to me to try to save a few pennies on shipping cost and forego seller protection (such as it is)...................

Although I know that some sellers don't play the "tracking game"...............still.........the sellers here do know to affix proper postage..............don't they?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything above & below this line is opinion
Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to ywhat4now

Sounds as though your PO is the one catching problems, generally if it occurred at sending unit it would be returned to sender for postage.

Some sellers do not pay as much attention to PO regs as others and are less than professional. I received a glass vase in a large padded envelope, (unbroken, pretty amazing! lol)

I don't think they are doing it to make an extra few cents on every package although stranger things have happened.

If they are paying you back when brought to their attention not much more you can do except not be a return customer.

Please use plain text.
buynow*buynow
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to snow62

snow62 wrote:

I sell here and buy here. Lately, almost every package i get coming in has postage due. As a seller, not at any given time do i print labels at home and ship from there. Most do. I take the package to the post office so it can be weighed and accurately tagged especially if i have listed the item as free shipping.

I am now getting, almost daily, at least one package coming in where i have to pay the postman, additional money to get the package i won as free shipping. Yes, so far,  all the vendors have refunded what i had to pay. But as a seller, we should all know this is not a good thing to do with the buyer. I have now a "do not buy from" list of vendors because everytime i do, i have to pay something.

Most of these are because they are attempting to send earrings thru the mail as a letter and that isn't going to happen. Just got a ring in for my store and had to pay $1.61 to get it! People, we all need to make some money and save some to, but as a buyer this is very frustrating cause now i have to keep a change jar to cover what the seller just didnt want to do. So from my seller side... just as a reminder to all those out there... please make sure the postage on the package is what it should be so your buyer is happy, you get rave reviews, 5 star feedback and dont have to contend with refunds.

Some post offices are starting to worry about their jobs and cutbacks and are pushing for higher prices from their customers.  In some cases they may be enforcing rules that were slack in the past but in some circumstances they are just plain charging the wrong figures in an attempt to create more cash flow for the postal system.  I know just a couple of weeks ago that I had run out of regular stamps and so when I mailed some packages I took an envelope that had a two page letter to a relative with me to the post office and I did not notice until I got home and looked at my receipt that they had charged me $2.07 for a plain white envelope that only contained a letter.  This is just one example of them trying to generate more cash.  There have been over a dozen of these instances in the past couple of months that would have never happened a year or two ago.  I sometimes even drive further and pay more for gas to go to a different post office that will put accurate postage on my items instead of overcharging.  The post office closest to me has flately refused to ship anything as a "flat".

Reply may or may not be for the person the reply says but just because you were the last ID that posted to this thread when I started to reply to the thread.
Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

We had a thread about this last year. Seems there are a large number of sellers who are cheating on postage. They misrepresent weight and dimenions, print, drop-off, think they are laughing all the way to the bank. The PO has wised up.

I know what my dimensions are. I know my weight categories. I know my prices. I know when something is right. I know when it is wrong.

A seller cannot say "I didn't know". part of being a seller is knowing shipping.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

OP could you be a little more spicifice about your issue?

What are the reasons your items are comming postage due?

What was the deal with the ring? Was it sent in a package with Frist Class letter postage or what?

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

mr.elmwood wrote:

We had a thread about this last year. Seems there are a large number of sellers who are cheating on postage. They misrepresent weight and dimenions, print, drop-off, think they are laughing all the way to the bank. The PO has wised up.

I know what my dimensions are. I know my weight categories. I know my prices. I know when something is right. I know when it is wrong.

A seller cannot say "I didn't know". part of being a seller is knowing shipping.

I agree with you on that because I have recieved all sorts of things that was sent Media mail I know didn't quilify and items well over 13oz that came First Class.

Some cheat, some just guess, some don't know any better and USPS seldom checked in the past.

Oh and some as seen here have been rounding down for years and never had a problem.

On poster on a different board has been using regular Priority mail supplys with Flat Rate labels for years and is just now having issues with Postage due.

It took several poster to convince her thats not allowed, then she wanted to know when USPS changed the rule.

photo tig02-1.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to black*max

I can't absolutely swear that my weight is on the money because maybe my scale is calibrated an oz or two off from whereever some postal employee decides to weigh my package.  Having said that, as far as I know, I haven't had any packages arrive at buyer's door with postage due.  

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to catahoulacurry

I bought a test weight here on eBay and USPS checks their's too.

photo tig02-1.jpg
Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

mr.elmwood wrote:

Mr.Elm: I remember that thread  ,It was not a large number sellers cheating on postage ! far from it. There where couple that did it. The rest where case's of postal employee's taking a guess that postage was due with out following DMM .

Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to buynow*buynow

buynow*buynow wrote:

snow62 wrote:

Some post offices are starting to worry about their jobs and cutbacks and are pushing for higher prices from their customers.  In some cases they may be enforcing rules that were slack in the past but in some circumstances they are just plain charging the wrong figures in an attempt to create more cash flow for the postal system.  I know just a couple of weeks ago that I had run out of regular stamps and so when I mailed some packages I took an envelope that had a two page letter to a relative with me to the post office and I did not notice until I got home and looked at my receipt that they had charged me $2.07 for a plain white envelope that only contained a letter.  This is just one example of them trying to generate more cash.  There have been over a dozen of these instances in the past couple of months that would have never happened a year or two ago.  I sometimes even drive further and pay more for gas to go to a different post office that will put accurate postage on my items instead of overcharging.  The post office closest to me has flately refused to ship anything as a "flat".

Buynow:  No they where  not following the DMM ! They where making them up !   I was hit with Postage due on parcel ,paid the carrier ,and went down to the P.O.  and fought it by forcing them to look up DMM for my item.   I say OP's  P.O. has a Employee guessing Postage due  when  it may not be do .

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to carlmarxx

I remember the thread as well, although something to keep in mind PO scales can also be incorrect if not calibrated properly or often.

I have had that happen once when I went to drop off a package, PO scale was off over 1lb.

I use two scales and double check all packages, she recalibrated her scale and could not believe how far off it was.

She stated her equiment was old and sometimes is off a little that she knew of. All ended  well for me, I did not owe any more postage for the item.

Please use plain text.
dingo_was_her_name
Community Member

in reply to snow62

I double and triple check I and then go through the post office line as get them to check it for  me. I do this almost everyday.

I hope soon I will trust myself enough to just mail the under 13 oz. at least.

I don't like leaving packages on the counter either.

Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

in reply to carlmarxx

My PO has wised up and weighs evey parcel that comes in and if there are complaints about weight differences, they will block the user from buying their postage online.  If it takes an extra day or two to do it, so be it.

I have gotten items with postage due.  The thread last year had the seller in my city and i got the address of the seller from the OP,  printed out the OP and sellers feedback that had plenty of negs about shipping with postage due and went down to the PO and had a long talk with the postmaster of that branch.  I don't think the seller is selling on ebay anymore, and I know that my PO has a list of return addresses that they hold the drops off to return to them, and that seller is on it.

OP, every seller that you had to pay postage on, go down to your PO, have them weigh the package and see how off and why this is happening, then email the seller to regain the money you had to pay extra, explain what they are doing wrong and then neg them.  If they are being dishonest and stealing from the post office, they will be dishonest in their listings too.  Let them get away with it once and it will be a license to steal from then on.

Please use plain text.
carlmarxx
Community Member

in reply to retrose1

retrose1 wrote:

My PO has wised up and weighs evey parcel that comes in and if there are complaints about weight differences, they will block the user from buying their postage online.  If it takes an extra day or two to do it, so be it.

I have gotten items with postage due.  The thread last year had the seller in my city and i got the address of the seller from the OP,  printed out the OP and sellers feedback that had plenty of negs about shipping with postage due and went down to the PO and had a long talk with the postmaster of that branch.  I don't think the seller is selling on ebay anymore, and I know that my PO has a list of return addresses that they hold the drops off to return to them, and that seller is on it.

OP, every seller that you had to pay postage on, go down to your PO, have them weigh the package and see how off and why this is happening, then email the seller to regain the money you had to pay extra, explain what they are doing wrong and then neg them.  If they are being dishonest and stealing from the post office, they will be dishonest in their listings too.  Let them get away with it once and it will be a license to steal from then on.

Retrose: OP did say their sellers refund them.  I'm sure not all sellers that you got packages from  ,where not to cheat the P.O. on postage. You know mistakes happen..

Please use plain text.
nowthatsjustducky
Community Member

in reply to snow62

There are probably a lot of sellers who think that a package that weighs 1 pount and 1/10 of an ounce would qualify as a 1 pound package, when it would most likely be bumped up to the 2 pound rate, or that a 5.1 ounce parcel would be considered 6 ounces for First Class Parcel instead of 5 ounces.  And if the weight is right on the border line, say the whole ounce mark or the even pound and 0.0 ounce mark, adding the label and tape to hold it on may push it over the edge to the next bracket.

When I get an item packaged up, and the weight is right on the cusp there, or is it over what I was estimating by an ounce or less, I will go ahead and take whatever measures I can to bring that weight down.  First step is to trim the end flaps on the top of the box.  If that still isn't enough, then the end flaps on the bottom get trimmed.  And finally, if I still need to remove a little more weight, then one or two wads of packing paper can be removed and the remaining wadding readjusted to fill in the gap.

Please use plain text.
commonsenserules
Community Member

in reply to snow62

I found out at our post office they did not understand the on line discount so they were trying to charge me more for my prepaid packages! Everytime I went and asked them to double check the postage for me, they kept telling me I was off on what I paid. Something to look at maybe?

Please use plain text.
kbnode
Community Member

in reply to carlmarxx

Sending items like earring etc via first class letter is very chancy. Those letters go through machine sorting and since they are not flexible like a letter, they can get torn up.  I received an empty torn envelope from the po...the newbie seller had sent a religious medal as letter..and the machinery tore it up  and lost the medal.

The newbie seller simply was not knowledgeable yet on the various shipping options.I can understand  that..starting off it is confusing,.  Newbies are one thing, but an experienced seller should be shipping things correctly.

Please use plain text.
almostgoods
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

The biggest culprit as of late has been sellers misusing flat rate boxes - trying to send a medium flat rate by weight. Doesn't work that way. It's not flat rate unless it's cheaper to send by weight. It's always flat rate.

This is my buying ID.
Please use plain text.