eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Permanent Suspension

So yesterday ebay told me that I am PERMANENTLY suspended from ebay.. Why? Because out of 1800 transactions I had 5 negative DSR scores due to item not as described. I have 568 positve feedback at 99.7% and I've never had a case opened against that wasn't settled between the buyer and myself. Last year in total between ebay and paypal I paid $18,000 in fees.. and because of FIVE negative DSR scores, i'm no longer allowed to sell... Oh and and I'm sure you all now DSR scores are ANONYMOUS!! If ebay really cares about their customers, WHY DO THEY NOT LET THE SELLERS SEE WHEN THEY HAVE A PROBLEM?!?!?!!?!?!!?!??! I have always been an amazing seller, and I've always taken care of ALL my customers. If I know someone has a problem, they are taken care of! END OF STORY! But now my $160,000 a year business has been shut down because of FIVE NEGATIVE DSR scores! Some idiot on the phone told me that I don't "live up their standards". I couldn't even speak.. How is 5 out of 1800 bad? Especially when I can't see who had the problem, OR EVEN WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I hate ebay, and I hope they go bankrupt. Which they will if they are to stupid to realize that the SELLERS are the ones keeping them alive, WITH THEIR FEES!! I'm going to amazon. The fees are the same, and they don't have the same stupid DSR bull****. Run for your life from this terrible website!!

slappy2014
Community Member

Re: Permanent Suspension

in reply to bandbrokers

wow.  that is crazy.  I have an mazon acount but the listing pages have so much jargon on them.

la-star
Community Member

in reply to bandbrokers

I'm shocked at how ebay treats sellers that have been with ebay for 15 years or more. Also, when you speak to representatives (none of them from the U.S.), they are rude and seem to not understand English well enough to explain what is going on. I first got suspended in Jan. for having one over the allowed seller dashboard percentage numbers. This is after being a Power SEller for decades. When I finally got to speak with someone with a command of the English language (after 6 attempts), the man told me that once my Feb evaluation came through, I would be allowed back to selling since now I am under 1% or something of that nature. After calling ten times and speaking to many robotic service reps that weren't nice at all, I was told many conflicting reasons and lies. Finally, today I was told this is a permanant suspension and that it was decided over a month ago! 

Why does ebay treat sellers this way? meanwhile, I've been ripped off numerous times by buyers and ebay doesn't help with that. From reading many message boards, this seems to be happening more and more frequently. Why?

s-floridadismantler
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to bandbrokers

We were recently suspended for the exact same thing - From one day to the next. When I got the email I thought it was a mistake. After reading up on Google I quickly learned that Ebay has gone rogue and thrown 1000's of sellers of the site for low dsr issues.The new scoring system makes it almost impossible to overcome low dsrs we when you get good marks going forward. Its designed for the small business to fail.

We had 3  bad transactions out of 331 for 2013 due to buyers with unreasonable expectations and this was enough to be suspended according to Ebay. This new scoring system has hurt a lot of sellers. Common sense tells me that this will come back to bite Ebay in the ass real hard. When the time eventually comes and the a pool of degenrate buyers out weighs the pool of legitamate sellers Ebay will be in for a rude awakening! The curent ultra-liberal pro-buyer stance they have taken is just abusive towards sellers. Not sure who they think they are protecting???

Good luck.

tara_of_helium
Community Member

in reply to s-floridadismantler

s-floridadismantler wrote:

We had 3  bad transactions out of 331 for 2013 due to buyers with unreasonable expectations

Want to try those numbers again?

You had 5 negs in 2013

You had 4 neutrals

Your FB %is 98.2, with your low amount of feedback that isnt good

Your DSR for shipping time is 4.7, which is the level that has been getting many sellers suspended, particularly if theyve got other issues going on, like neutrals and negs for not as described.

Also, it doesnt look like your suspended when you have a car kit for sale

s-floridadismantler
Community Member

in reply to tara_of_helium

First off, I dont have any car kit  for sale - I have "0" active listings. All 837 listings were taken off the site by Ebay. Second I had 3 bad buyers - (1) buyer purchased 3 items the same day and left 3 negative comments. In fact of the 3 buyers that left bad feed back, not one communicated with us so that we could help them - they just took advantage of the system and wrote negative comments. How is a seller to know if there is a problem? We dont purposely ship kwoning there will be an issue.  There should be something in place that forces the buyer to communcate with a seller before the system allows negative feedback or dsr to be left. Not to mention Ebay would be more profitable. It mass suspension program is pushing seller like us to Amazon.

My DSR  for shipping is "3/10's" of a percent off from bringing me up to above standard status...Its the only one in fact keeping from being above standard again. I had always been Top Rated or above standard and the only reason I did not keep top rated status was because I did not offer 1 day handling on my listings.  The current scoring system I believe is designed for small sellers to fail! I had a pefect month in Dec and January and my scores didnt move at all!  In fact I had a perfect year until September 2013 when we ran a sale and all of the bottom feeders came running...Perhaps the sale sale my down fall. I was just trying to move product instead i attracted 3 degenerate sellers who ruined my ebay business

We sell Porsche parts and more and more you see buyers you want to install parts that require professional installation trying  do the work themselves, they get into trouble then go crying back to ebay! It doesnt matter that we wrote "professional Intsallation required on the listing" Ebay ignores those comments. Ebay encourages that we describe listings only to very seldomly really consider the text when ruling on a dispute.

You really believe that 6 bad comments out of 331 transactions in 1 year is bad ratio? That should be enough to throw some off the site?

In september I sold a $1500 turbocharger to a customer would destroyed in in 5 minutes when he improperly installed it on his car.  he inverted the lubrication lines and as a result didnt lubricate the part. It seized up in a matter of minutes. He sent it back in  a box in a bunch of pieces and EBAY MADE ME ACCEPT THE RETURN. This is fair and equitable?

On the same month another buyer returned a spoiler 36 days after the the return policy had lapsed - Ebay force us to take the return. Of course the buyer claimed 45+ days after buyer the part its not as described. ereally? You really bought a part and didnt look at it for 36 days???But to make it even better he shipped a $1500 item back to us and didnt insure it. The post office claims they tried to deliver it 1 time. We never got the notice. we were notifiied of the delivery attempt while discussing the return with an Ebay rep on the phone. When we went to the post office after talking to Ebay, the item to this day has been lost - never delivered. I have no claim against USPS becuase the buyer did not insure the item. Ebay still forced us to refund the buyer . No item and no money for us! This is fair and equitable?

Should I keep going with more buyer abuse stories? I have about 30 I can share with you.  Ebay breeds this culture of " Buyer do no wrong" Its okay to beat up the seller!!!!!!

You find this to be a fair and equitable way to do business?

pantlandia
Community Member

s-floridadismantler wrote:

My DSR  for shipping is "3/10's" of a percent off from bringing me up to above standard status...Its the only one in fact keeping from being above standard again. 

And? If you're below, you're below. Do you think the 4th place contestant in a race has a legitimate complaint that they should get a Bronze medal because they were 0.02 seconds out of 3rd?

Community Member

[ Edited ]
"You really believe that 6 bad comments out of 331 transactions in 1 year is bad ratio? That should be enough to throw some off the site?"

You have 20 bad comments out of 496 in two years. Yes, that's a bad ratio, especially since you are selling high priced items and not dollar store junk.

"On the same month another buyer returned a spoiler 36 days after the the return policy had lapsed - Ebay force us to take the return. Of course the buyer claimed 45+ days after buyer the part its not as described. ereally? You really bought a part and didnt look at it for 36 days???But to make it even better he shipped a $1500 item back to us and didnt insure it. The post office claims they tried to deliver it 1 time. We never got the notice. we were notifiied of the delivery attempt while discussing the return with an Ebay rep on the phone. When we went to the post office after talking to Ebay, the item to this day has been lost - never delivered. I have no claim against USPS becuase the buyer did not insure the item. Ebay still forced us to refund the buyer . No item and no money for us! This is fair and equitable?"

Either you made a very serious error handling the dispute, or you are fibbing. For a $1500 item, Ebay requires the buyer to submit proof that the returned item was actually delivered and signed for by the seller before forcing the seller to refund.
Community Member

in reply to bandbrokers

The rating system is skewed in favor of volume, not monetary worth. For example, the seller that sells 10  thousand trinkets @ $5 a piece is at much lesser risk for suspension for bad ratings than a seller of 10 items per year a $20K each. The seller of trinkets is allowed many more 1's or 2's in each category than the seller of high end quality goods. 

The low volume seller has the bad marks count for a whole year, while the volume seller is off the hook quarterly. 

Your DSR's and who left them are not so secret. You can run reports to determine who exactly left the low score. You can do a google search to find out the procedure.  A buyer that leaves a positive glowing feedback and low DSR scores is not following the rules. You can have these removed. You can have feedback removed for a variety of new reasons now, and it would be prudent for any seller to keep close watch on their scores before the permanent axe falls. 

There is aslo an everchanging "guardrail" and "trending" program in effect for ebay sellers. Google this as well to see what I am talking about. It rates certain things that "normally" don't count, or are displayed on your seller dashboard, but can get you certain death just the same. 

For those suspended for life, look carefully at your bad scores and see if they were "removable" under the guidelines at the time. If you had any Vero or busybody ebay reporters claiming you were selling "fakes", that is one of the latest issues in the purging of sellers. 

Most recently, sellers with thousands and tens of thousands of feedbacks, that had been selling since the 1990's suddenly woke up to their "pink slip" of no longer being able to sell. 

There is a bit of hope.

There are ebay employees that monitor the SELLER PROTECTION board. If you carefully check your account, you can plead your case there. Many have been reinstated where before calling customer service only provided the "decision is final" and there is nothing that can be done. 

The process is long and tedious, justification needs to be made for bad scores in a professional manner, etc. Go read there, and read the discussions going back a month or so.

s-floridadismantler
Community Member

in reply to rocks_ann

You are mistaken with regards to returns! Ebay considers a USPS notice left " for delivery attempt" sufficient for proof of delivery when the buyer returns an item regardless of whether I receive it or not. In my case we didnt even not know about the notice until ebay informed us during a phone conversation of it. In my particular case the item was never delivered and the post office was unable to locate it. I have no claim because the buyer did not insure the item on the return.

I and not fibbing nor did I handle it incorrectly.

Not sure about your 496/20 ratio but you are entitled to your opinion. Base on your numbers thats  about 4% of all transactions. Not sure I agree with you.

Im not going to continue to argue the point - I've moved on.

funboy1227
Community Member

I counted 9 neutrals & 9 negs over 305 Feedback over the last 2 years (back to March 4, 2012).

Personally, that would not bother me about this seller, as he sells to a VERY picky audience....    and at least 3 of those negs was from the same guy...  at least one neutral was over Customs charges (you probably could have gotten that one removed)

If I had any doubts, I would email the seller with my concerns before bidding.  

There may be something else going on that we can't see, for ebay to have taken this action.

I've been told that money cannot buy happiness.... But I would like the opportunity to test that theory.
s-floridadismantler
Community Member

in reply to funboy1227

Thank you. Finally someone who can see beyond ebays' automated score card. There is nothing more to tell about my story.

When I first got the  suspension notice, the Ebay rep who first helped me tried to get me a waiver since it was such a small margin that pushing me over to below standard status. He was surprised that he was not able to especially since I had never gone below standard - Ever!  Shortly there after Ebay just wacked my account. I appealed it - Ebay said in about 5 days you should hear something. After many calls and about 20+ days later ebay was able to get on on a chat with trust and safety and they basically said that I didnt live up to Ebay Standards.

Yes we do sell to a very picky audience. More and more we see unqualified buyers trying to do repairs themselves to save a buck and what they do is get themselve into trouble buyer buying the wrong part and just damaging the part then blame the seller...when that happens they turn to Ebay and ram  the returns down our throats. Sometimes even damaged items. Ebays High Value Claims team is pretty harsh on sellers with returns.

Just before our suspension we sold a used deck lid for a Porsche 911 Turbo. I stated in the listing that I did not guarantee paint color or condition. I also stated that there were scratches on the part but that the part itself was structurally sound. I sold the part as is - no returns and yet 30 days later Ebay still allowed the buyer to return  the item because the customer stated he did not think the part would need to be  repainted. I listed 12 pictures of the item and stated I dont guarantee paint!!! How else can I state this? You would think ebay side with me...NOT!!!!

I dont think anything will change Ebay and these ultra-liberal return policies for the time being. I do think as time passes sellers will think twice about rolling the dice on this platform. The buyer abuse is just to much and ebay does next to nothing about it

ki_korners
Community Member

I suspect the reason you were suspended is because of your responses. No matter how bad a buyer behaves you cant call them drama queens and scammers.

cool-chaos
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to ki_korners

I have to agree with ki_korners

Seems like some of your neutral and/or negative comments were about missing parts, late delivery, and could ebay be concerned with your professionalism when contacted with these issues?...(example:

Neutral feedback ratingRequired rebuilding bolt brackets. Not close to fitting.Buyer:
p***h ( 668Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
Feb-01-14 14:38

• Reply by s-floridadismantler (Feb-03-14 09:13):
    Over 100 Sold without issue. Not much I can help with once you butcher up part'

Also have to wonder if it is because of the expense of the items you are selling, Maybe ebay looks at these transaction more carefully for buyer satisfaction...

Have you had many chargeback on your account? 

funboy1227
Community Member

in reply to cool-chaos

cool-chaos wrote:

I have to agree with ki_korners

Seems like some of your neutral and/or negative comments were about missing parts, late delivery, and could ebay be concerned with your professionalism when contacted with these issues?...(example:

Neutral feedback ratingRequired rebuilding bolt brackets. Not close to fitting.Buyer:
p***h ( 668Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
Feb-01-14 14:38

• Reply by s-floridadismantler (Feb-03-14 09:13):
    Over 100 Sold without issue. Not much I can help with once you butcher up part'

Also have to wonder if it is because of the expense of the items you are selling, Maybe ebay looks at these transaction more carefully for buyer satisfaction...

Have you had many chargeback on your account? 

The reply  probably could have been worded better, but the Seller should not be expected to refund once the Buyer has significantly altered the product.

I've been told that money cannot buy happiness.... But I would like the opportunity to test that theory.
sunfarmer
Community Member

in reply to funboy1227

Maybe you would have more luck with your own web site?   Then you decide about returns and all other things.  No holds on your funds and you can be your own boss.  You have way too many sales to give up. 

s-floridadismantler
Community Member

in reply to funboy1227

In my opinion, Ebay should have a system in place where the buyer must communicate in write via the ebay system with the seller before negative comments or DSR's are allowed. Most sellers dont know that a problem exists until they have been hammered with bad coomments and low dsr's.

Implement something similar to what ebay does when a seller wants to cancel a transaction for non payment

- we have to wait 8 days...why no something similar for buyers? How about a cooling off period to prevent the buyer from making a knee kerk/impulsive decision of trash a seller and potentially ruining his ability to make a living.

Put requirements in place where the buyer must allow a seller to at least know there is an issue!!!

Also, a buyer should not have the right to trash a seller after the fact for shipping cost. If the buyer didnt agree with shipping cost in the first place why did they follow through on the purchase. That makes no sense to me.

According to Ebay - Only about 50% of buyers leave any feedback.

As seller we should be given the benefit of the doubt and if a buyer does not provide feedback within 60 days  and allow that transaction to go positive for the seller - even  no specific comment is inserted, but an internal positive point toward our rating as seller. Common sense would say that if no feedback is left after 60 days the buyer was happy with the transaction. it would be very rare if something was wrong that a buyer did not complain.

We are only rated on the transaction were a buyer actually takes the time to give feedback and that does not seem fair and equitable

funboy1227
Community Member

"We are only rated on the transaction were a buyer actually takes the time to give feedback and that does not seem fair and equitable"

There's a category-specific site I trade on that considers ALL transactions to count as a positive, unless the Buyer leaves a neg.

For obvious reasons, I like that site.

briantheshopper
Community Member

in reply to bandbrokers
I had 99.1 positive feedback and they shut me down because of 6 low ratings. One of the bad ratings was from a customer that thought all 1's was the best and all 5's was the worst. The customer left me a message telling me sorry they messed up, I showed eBay the message but still nothing. I am permanently banned. I can't believe they don't realize that the way they are having customers rate our service is retarded! If the customer feels spiteful, in a bad mood, is just dumb and expected something better when it is clearly not supposed to be high quality (example: Halloween crow decoration clearly a cheap quick decoration, guy gives bad rating and negative feedback, I never sell it again...doesn't matter! Bad rating logged already...get it eBay??) They give you no room to test product to see if it's good or bad. Another example: cheap Halloween mask sold a couple but one person didn't like it. I never sell it again....doesn't matter bad rating and negative feedback logged already! Get it eBay?? EBay should give sellers at least a chance to reestablish and try again under a different account. Oh well I now am really doing well with affiliate marketing and selling on Facebook. NO MORE FEES TO EBAY! I can't believe I used to pay them so much!
Community Member

in reply to slappy2014

I think that ebay sellers are going to need to get a attorney and get some of this in check.  It is crazy and to get a sane human that is from the united states?  Not possible.  They populate so many fields to get more business and manipulate sellers but then they do this?  I have only been selling to get through cancer but I liked doing it and it afforded me to help my handicapped mom.  I am now thinking that the control people of ebay are too powerful and that this would be like shooting myself in the head.  too bad.  It is too bad that the managament is so out of touch with what really happens