eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
My buyer says the item was damaged during shipping. no insurance and a no return policy. What should i do?

my buyer says the item was smashed in2 little pieces during shipment and wants money back or another item. buyer will send me pics if i want. what should i do? this has never happened and while i no theres a 1st time 4 everything, i dont wanna insult my buyer and i dont wanna be taking advantage of either. help.

I may not agree with what u say, but i would fight 2the death 4your right 2say it.
Accepted Solutions: 4
hunyuk14
Community Member
Answered
in reply to yourgrandmomscloset

I'd accept that pics offer to verify damage, or you could have the item sent back.

Issue total refund when you have proof.

"Aw...Darn it, Woodstock...look what you left on my keyboard again!"
Community Member
Answered

ALSO:  ebay's Buyers Protection trumps your return policy every single time.  ALL buyers, including yours, are covered by ebays buyers protection for 45 full days.

You are way better off having a return policy.  With no return policy buyers are more likely to NOT contact you with an issue and just leave you NEG feedback..........

sbm-ventures
Community Member
Answered

You have two choices,

Have them send you the pics or have them return the item to you, either way you will be refunding. If you insist on returning a now useless item it will just tick the buyer off.

Insurance protects you and your no returns policy means nothing in this case. If a case if opened you WILL be refunding.

Community Member
Answered

You the seller are 100% responsible for insurance.  You CANNOT offer, suggest or make optional that a buyer pay insurance.  That violates ebay policy and you can be reported for that.....You can add the cost of insurance into your shipping fee or item amount but you cannot charge separately for it.

You can ask for photos......When satisfied of damage, you refund item PLUS original shipping..............

You do NOT want the buyer to open a case............they will win, and ebay will force you to do what you should have done to begin with.  Then you have a "ding" on your account.

Other Answers: 1
kraloe
Community Member
Answered

A "no return" policy doesn't apply to an item that was damaged in shipping. And you didn't insure? Then you took the risk of having to refund if something like this happened.