eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: MY EBAY SALES DOWN 40-50% SINCE APRIL

in reply to sweetgeorgiarose

Search isn't the only reason you are losing sales but it does seem to be somewhat related. I collect vintage watches. I go to the 1970-1983 results and I get page after page after page of listings of brand new watches out of Hong Kong.

I decided that there won't be any watches selling tonight because I've placed a bid. You can't complain to eBay either. They don't care. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

gopetersen wrote:

I've been trying to evaluate CantSeeMe's affect on my sales.

I'm going to try to run some numbers today.

One thing I noticed the last few days that might be related (don't know yet for sure) is that I got a rash of orders for one particular item one day. Then a rash of orders for another specific item the next day. And the next another.

I couldn't help wondering, "Is THIS what buyers were shown today?"

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me recently. I had a shirt sell in just a few hours after listing, and I had this weird feeling it was because I offered free priority shipping. Then, in the next day I had 2 other shirts (same brand & style) sell to a few other separate buyers in varying locations. 

It seemed almost too odd to be a coincidence. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rmge12

rmge12 wrote:

If you're tracking this, gopete, also track where the sales come from on the particular spurt of sales.  I could be wrong about this, but I believe the servers are turned off and on by region.  Do the spurts of sales happen on the same day each week?

What makes no sense is, THIS IS TOTALLY LUDICROUS, AND DOES NOTHING TO MAKE EBAY MORE MONEY! 

If you think about it, what purpose would this serve? Ebay makes money chiefly through FVF's. Sure, they make some money with ads and other links, but that is secondary. 

If ebay wants to make more money, instead of all this random garbage they do, they should just really try to give the buyers what they are actually searching for, instead of trying to force whatever they think is more profitable, or pushing stuff from their preferred sellers. If you give people what they want, they'll buy it. 

If they have a good buying experience, they'll come back. Granted, this isn't all ebay's fault. Lame sellers that don't describe their items properly, or that take junky pics with cat hair on the item laying on the bare linoleum floor with their cell phones don't help either. 

Sure, weed out those sellers. But for us sellers that take the time to write a good description, take good photos, have 1 day handling, 14 day returns, and that don't gouge on shipping, and offer nice things; we deserve better treatment- and definitely better than some chinese slave labor garbage seller. It's un-American.

Please use plain text.
smntoys
Community Member

in reply to soldmysoulbuyitnow

"What makes no sense is, THIS IS TOTALLY LUDICROUS, AND DOES NOTHING TO MAKE EBAY MORE MONEY!"

You are wrong. Ebay makes 10% FVF on shipping, so the more it costs to ship the higher the fee. It would only make sense for them to "maximize" the shipping charges to get the highest possible commssions on shipping. I am on the East Coast, have been on Ebay since 1998 so have a pretty good idea of historically where all my sales used to be from. Previously (pre- 2011 or so) over 50% of my sale were in the Eastern US. In the last two years, with a few exceptions, the majority of my sales have gone to just five states: CA, OR, WA, TX, and MN. Would you call this coincidence? I don't. The new UA makes a point that we agree to Ebay's ability to do just that, and I beleive it is a "CYA" clause to use when the facts finally come out. 

Please use plain text.
art_dealer_cal
Community Member

in reply to smntoys

Nice 'Ghost Town' pictures on the Power Seller Forum this weekend.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to soldmysoulbuyitnow

"Ebay makes money chiefly through FVF's."

We don't actually know that.

I've tried looking at their annual reports, but they only report as much as is required by law and that isn't very much. There are hardly any breakdowns, for each income source (PayPal, eBay, etc.), to see exactly how the income from the Marketplace divvies up.

It's possible that a high percentage MIGHT be coming from the ads on each listing, which provides revenue whether or not the item sells.

Our listings might be honey to attract bees and the buzz might be profits from adclicks—sales to our competitors.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to art_dealer_cal

Interesting I see clothing seller on this tread complaining about slow sales that are still listing summer items.

If you want to sell summer items year around I suggest international shipping, it's spring right now south of the equator.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Welcome to the club. Have a few different accounts. Sales have been in the **bleep**per all summer and it has not picked up like I expected.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kattinsanity

well that's good news for you but I sincerely doubt the 2day to 1day had anything to do with it LOL  :smileyvery-happy:

kattinsanity wrote:

Back in January I had about $2500.00 in sales and it quickly went down hill to 12 sales in July for a total of between $200.00 and $300.00.  I( knew I needed to do SOMETHING.

I've always had my pet/thrift shop/estate/smoke odor disclaimer in my listings.  I changed from 2 day handling to 1 day and changed my 14 day return policy to 30 days.  I did these changes the 1st part of August.

Today I have had 76 sales for a total of $1735.00 in the last 31 days.  I didn't make any booming sales but at least I made sales and made a profit on each and every sale.

By changing my policies I wasn't buried amongst a ton of other listings even though it was free listings time after time during the time my sales went up. 

Sellers need to be more detailed in their descriptions.  You wouldn't believe the auctions running for the same things that I sell that have descriptions of "has some scratches", "brand new", "used" and that's it.  Nothing more.

Would I buy from them?  no.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to smntoys

No, that wasn't what I was referring to. 

I was talking about turning the sales on and off. Not where the sales go to. 

But, still, you're still wrong anyway, because it costs THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT TO SEND A SHIRT TO CALIFORNIA, AS IT DOES TO NEW YORK.  So, it still makes no difference. 

But, let's just say for argument's sake you're right. It's STILL stupid, because it's jumping over dollars to chase down pennies. 

I'LL SAY IT AGAIN FOR THE SLOW PEOPLE IN CLASS. HELPING THE BUYERS TO FIND WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR IS THE BEST WAY FOR EVERYONE, INCLUDING EBAY, TO MAXIMIZE REVENUE IN THE LONG RUN.  And when I say "what they're looking for", I mean, what they actually say they want, and not what ebay thinks they want. They don't want "curated shopping", or some other **bleep**ola. 

I want what I ask for. I want what I ask to be shown. I don't like it when people think they know what I want better than I do. If you want to make suggestions, do it AFTER you've shown me what I asked for. If I don't buy something after you've shown me what I asked for, sure, knock yourself out. Show me some other stuff. Maybe there is something that would work for me that I didn't think to ask for. But wait until I'm about to walk away before you start showing me stuff I didn't ask for. Otherwise, if you start showing me what I didn't ask for right off the bat, now I'm REALLY GOING TO WALK AWAY AND NOT BUY ANYTHING. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to letsgetshoppin22

Maybe the 2 to 1 day handling didn't do it alone but maybe that combined with changing from 14 to 30 days for returns did?  Maybe together it got me better placement instead of being buried in all the free listings?  All I know is I had a drastic increase in sales start as soon as I changed those 2 things.  From 12 sales in July to 75 sales between mid August to mid September is a huge increase.  I'm also not a TRS.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Sad day indeed, just noticed close to 100 items listed for 30 days that ended and not 1 view.  Going to have to quit selling on this medium and concentrate efforts elsewhere.  where-ever that may be?

Also just noticed i listed some items and nowhere to be found in any search. 
Another thing i noticed, why is it when search best match for vintage jacket are all the sellers listed at top from countries other than USA?

Why oh why, what the hell is happening to this site for sellers...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I  do  keep up  with  economic trends.  The middle class in  the U.S. has  been  shrinking,,,paychecks  are smaller.  I  do believe another  great  recession is  coming..   Some  economists (mainly the  doomsayers)  say  it  will  be  worse than in  2008-2009.

This  does not  bode well  for  people  selling things  . Retail will  be the  first to  take a  hit

Please use plain text.
banana-posts
Community Member

in reply to exegesisxx

exegesisxx wrote:

I  do  keep up  with  economic trends.  The middle class in  the U.S. has  been  shrinking,,,paychecks  are smaller.  I  do believe another  great  recession is  coming..   Some  economists (mainly the  doomsayers)  say  it  will  be  worse than in  2008-2009.

This  does not  bode well  for  people  selling things  . Retail will  be the  first to  take a  hit

I agree. How the DOW is over 15k is beyond me. We have been robbing Peter to pay Paul since 2009. We're living in a false market where the actual value vs perceived value is very far apart. We have astronomical prices in every sector, high unemployment still, a record high national debt. And they want to raise the debt ceiling yet again. When the market finally corrects itself, all of my investments and retirement accounts will be in bonds. 

Change.....As the wind blows
Please use plain text.
englishbandit
Community Member

just googled Cassini everyone and you will see why some of us are going to go out of business. my sales are down over 60% and droping, and ebay do not give a monkeys. i have called them 3 or 4 times now just to be told a load of rubbish.i sit on ebay all day trying to sort out my listings to make them show up better...........i am a honest hard working 100% feed back seller with over 7,500 sales. i have 800 items listed more than i have ever had before and yet this is my worst time ever. not even getting emails asking me about stuff. i would normally get 5 or more a day, had 2 in 5 days? this new CASSINI system dose not work. if it dose not like the way you list your items you have had it. people are not seeing my items and there is nothing you can do about it,but go out of business. I have another 300 items to list just sitting here and have had them 2 weeks now. i just do not see the point in waisting my time to list them if they are not going to be seen. YET we all know what items are  FAKE on ebay yet they do nothing about them. and the sellers are criminals. they say thay want there buyers to have a good shopping experience..... well if its not fake its cheap rubbish from china and other places now thats a real good shopping experience......

Please use plain text.
john-c-holmes
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to exegesisxx

exegesisxx wrote:

That's not what Obama says. Contrary to your view, he states the economy is thriving, job hiring is robust and consumer confidense is soaring. Is Obama telling lies? 

photo Obey-1_zpsb25c6c25.jpg photo CoolHandLuke-6Mini1_zps73124971.gif
Please use plain text.
volvo351
Community Member

in reply to janeg0650

"[CSR] response was ...very matter a fact and not give a darn-ish.

Scripts have to be pretty bland, one-size-fits-all.   Remember these folks may have limited English proficiency, so that's a further limitation.  How many phrases can a parrot be taught?   

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

in reply to john-c-holmes

john-c-holmes wrote:

exegesisxx wrote:

That's not what Obama says. Contrary to your view, he states the economy is thriving, job hiring is robust and consumer confidense is soaring. Is Obama telling lies? 

That's why I'm pulling up stakes and moving to Washington, D.C., Johnny.

Hoping to find some new digs as close to the White House as possible

I want a taste of the economic la dolce vita that permeates our nation's capitol!

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
m57593hr9
Community Member

I  HAVE BEEN LISTING ON EBAY FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAVE I EXPERIANCED SALES SO BAD.  NOTHING IS SELING AND WHAT DOES ARE BUYERS WHO ARE NEW TO EBAY AND UNEXPERIANCED AND HARD TO DEAL WITH.

Please use plain text.
scooterbooterscott
Community Member

in reply to m57593hr9

Hopefully you don't do your listings in all caps. 

m57593hr9 wrote:

I  HAVE BEEN LISTING ON EBAY FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAVE I EXPERIANCED SALES SO BAD.  NOTHING IS SELING AND WHAT DOES ARE BUYERS WHO ARE NEW TO EBAY AND UNEXPERIANCED AND HARD TO DEAL WITH.

Please use plain text.