eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How to deal with difficult buyer

I sold a steam sauna tent (tent only) to a customer. The size of the sauna tent and our refund policy were clearly shown on our posting. He was not happy with his purchase, complaining the tent is very very very small.

We told him that he should take the responsibility to ship the item back to us and we will issue a refund to him. However, shipping/handling fee is non-refundable as clearly shown on our refund policy. Shipping/handling fee is $25 for his case.

He want us to pay the shipping back fee and also ask for a full refund. Otherwise, he will leave a negative feedback. I would like to get some help here to see which way is better to handle this. Thanks

john-c-holmes
Community Member

Re: How to deal with difficult buyer

in reply to vivivi333

Your refund policy means diddly squat. Especially the so called "non-refundable" shipping/handling fee you're claiming.

Read up here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

If your Buyer files a SNAD against you, and eBay finds in his favor, you will in all likelyhood be paying for return shipping.

Look at item 3.

We review the case.

We'll review the case and get in touch with you within 48 hours. We may ask for additional information to help resolve the issue. If the decision is in your favor, we'll refund you for the purchase price of your item plus the original shipping cost.
 photo Obey-1_zpsb25c6c25.jpg photo CoolHandLuke-6Mini1_zps73124971.gif
couldabeenworse
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

However, shipping/handling fee is non-refundable as clearly shown on our refund policy.

I couldn't find that, only "buyer pays return shipping".  If buyer pays postage back to you, you owe him a full refund, including original shipping/handling.

To reduce future similar problems, please keep in mind that many Americans are downright proud of our ignorance of the metric system.

Good luck...

tripp_the_lab
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to vivivi333

As coulda said you do not clearly state anything in your return policy, in fact you do not state a return policy you only use ebay's pre-filled info (14 days, buyer pays return shipping). That means you owe the buyer a refund of purchase price+original shipping should the return the item to you. It would also be a good idea to list measurements in Metric and US standard measurements if listing on the .com site. In the US we are not taught the metric system.

If the buyer threatened to neg you through messaging you should report them for feedback extortion. The buyer is not allowed to threaten a negative to get a refund. Here is the policy - http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Proud member of The Pack of Disgruntled Failures!

Neuter the people, not the dogs!
sg51
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

He want us to pay the shipping back fee and also ask for a full refund. Otherwise, he will leave a negative feedback. I would like to get some help here to see which way is better to handle this. Thanks

Sellers in SNAD war end up doing badly.

Offer a complete refund upon return.

sg51
Community Member

in reply to tripp_the_lab

If the buyer threatened to neg you through messaging you should report them for feedback extortion. The buyer is not allowed to threaten a negative to get a refund.

Buyer is fully allowed to threaten neg to get what was described in the listing. If seller offered 14 day return, and is trying to weasel, buyer is allowed to threaten bad feedback to convince seller to refund.

Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

You are selling to U.S. customers. Most do not know the actual size when seeing metric. Add inches next to your metric size so both non U.S. and U.S. buyers will know the size. It will happen over and over again if you don't change it. You should also put in the title that it does not include the insides and only the tent. That will be your next problem with a buyer.

Community Member

in reply to john-c-holmes

If it is our fault, we do take the responsibility to handle it. However, the size is clearly shown on our posting and he know it, it is not our fault. We are open mind to handle the special case and we can give him a full refund if he take the responsibility to return the item to us.

Our policy is to block an unserious bidder since shipping/handling fee in steam sauna in huge. We know many customers want to try this item and return it with no charge for them. We updated our policy to avoid this.

tripp_the_lab
Community Member

Buyer stated they would neg if the seller didn't pay original AND return shipping, not allowed. "He want us to pay the shipping back fee and also ask for a full refund. Otherwise, he will leave a negative feedback."

Simply stating "I will neg you if you do not refund me the full purchase price+ shipping" is not allowed but this buyer made it extra special by demanding return shipping.

sg51
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

If it is our fault, we do take the responsibility to handle it. However, the size is clearly shown on our posting and he know it, it is not our fault.

Your prosperity as an ebay seller will benefit by replacing the concept of  "fault" with "consequences".

In this kind of case, the consequences flow in seller's direction. Fault is not much scored.

Community Member

Thank you. I do learn something new.

We used a template to post our product. The refund policy is shown very clearly for all of our products.

" we provide 30 days money back refund policy on basis of original condition. Please contact us within 15 days after receiving the products if you have any issues with it. Shipping/handling fee is non-refundable. You should take the responsibility to send refund item back to us"

black*max
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

If it is our fault, we do take the responsibility to handle it. However, the size is clearly shown on our posting and he know it, it is not our fault

As pointed out the size is not clearly shown for US buyers as the metric system means little here.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
littleoddsends
Community Member

Is this for the Foot Sauna Blue One, Tent Only?

If so, No you do NOT have accurate measurements up.  You listed it as 40cm x 62cm.  Okay, which measurement is the diameter & which is the height?  

But I still don't know how tall this thing is, I can only guess it is 62 cm tall, but then again maybe it is 42 cm tall.  Are those the outside or inside dimensions?  When you say "Tent Only".  Does it come with the white & pink liner inside it?  Are the straps included or do those come off and not come with it?  What about the white pad below it?  Is that permanently attached or do you keep that yourself?

Your item description does nothing to clear this up:

Foot Sauna Tent Only As shown in Picture above.
Size: 40 x 62 cm, Round one, Blue Color

You say it's just the tent but then you say it's as shown in the picture above.  The picture above shows the white/pink liner, the pad below it and such.

Next up you claim this is "New In Box".  It does not qualify as "New In Box" regardless of if you used it or not.  You only have/had 1 of these and you took it out of the box to photograph it.  Automatically that means its been touch physically by someone, taken outside, set in the grass and then reboxed.  Straight forward, that is 100% against what the New In Box policy states and this buyer has the opportunity to file an SNAD just on that alone.  

A final note:  If your going to sell your products to U.S. Consumers then you need to use both sides of the tape measurer and give them the dimensions in metric & inches.  There are many sites on the net you can even input them into & they will accurately convert them for you.

Now, to help you out as an American I did the conversion for you:

40 cm or 400mm = 15 3/4 inches  

62 cm or 620mm = 24 13/32 Inches

Looking at your pics I'd guess it is 24 13/32 Inches in height  or you could of say approximately 24 1/2 inches high (I know that is fudged but that is what the word approximately is for) and 15 3/4 Inches around.  Measurements provide are outside dimentions.  Then your buyer would definitely know it's size and you'd have no issues here beyond the New In Box.

black*max
Community Member

in reply to black*max

I can visualize in my head 6ft or 72in but I can't for 182.88cm.

Thats hard to believe because the metric system is so much easier but it's true if you never was taught that way.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Community Member

Sorry, let me make this thing a little bit more clearly.

He mentioned he want a full refund. Otherwise he will leave a negative feedback.

He mentioned if we want the item back, we should pay him to ship the item back to us.

Ebay should have a policy to block those buyer, whose logic is not reasonable.

Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

If you mean the sauna you sold on July 14, it's hard for me to imagine eBay siding with you.  I think you could have avoided this dispute if you had described the item better and provided more photos.  I had never heard of a foot sauna before and if I were buying from you, I might want to know the size of the sauna compared to something else (like a bucket or a garbage can). Or maybe you could have suggested that the sauna was best for users of a certain shoe size. I noticed that you have another listing with a photo of several foot saunas lined up in a row. Even a photo like that would have been more useful than simply "40 x 62cm".

I also noticed you got negative feedback two months in a row for shipping the acupuncture charts folded instead of rolled. If you want to avoid this, you need to state clearly that the buyer needs to pay extra shipping if they want the chart shipped in a poster tube. 

tripp_the_lab
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

Report him for feedback extortion. If that came through messaging it qualifies.

littleoddsends
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

It is simple as far as the return goes "Return for Refund" rinse & repeat as necessary.  If he leaves negative feedback because you won't pay return shipping and he sent you that in your ebay messages just call and report the feedback, message will be read by CSR and then fb removed.

But, that still doesn't remove the fact that you can not keep the outbound shipping, you have to refund that if he/she returns the item.  If they used the item and didn't like it then returned for a refund you can't claim it's Not As Received because it was not New In Box when you shipped it out, your listing clearly demonstrates that regardless of what you say in the ad or here.  It's sitting out of it's box in the lawn.

And yes, you did not accurately provide measurements that all your potential buyers can understand.  I sell only to the US so I only need to measure in Feet/Inches my items.  Your in Canada try to sell across the border, you need to provide metric & english measurements to ensure your buyers understand what they are getting.

Remember you must:

Photo the item as if the buyer can not read at all, describe the item as if they can not see.  Yes, there are blind buyers on ebay, they use software to read the ads to them, its actually pretty cool stuff.  No buyer can physically touch the item in the listing, they can not turn it over, walk around it, smell it, tap it or anything else.  We as sellers have to do this for them via our pictures and item descriptions.  Some buyers on here may have learning disabilities that prevent them from being able to convert from metric to english or vice versa.  This is where we come in, we do these things for them and then describe the items to the best of our abilities.  

Your ad failed to do this and now the buyer is unhappy with the item, politely ask them to "Return For Refund".  

Community Member

in reply to littleoddsends

Our communicate mesage is all under below item.Size and policy are shown clearly there.

We only sell this item for wholesale. He want a sample to see. Therefore, we make a simple list for him to pay.

In my opinion, he understand the metric system.

40 x 62 cm is quite different from 40 x 62 inch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181135566560?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

falken1976
Community Member

in reply to vivivi333

vivivi333 wrote:

If it is our fault, we do take the responsibility to handle it. However, the size is clearly shown on our posting and he know it, it is not our fault. We are open mind to handle the special case and we can give him a full refund if he take the responsibility to return the item to us.

Our policy is to block an unserious bidder since shipping/handling fee in steam sauna in huge. We know many customers want to try this item and return it with no charge for them. We updated our policy to avoid this.

You are held to the policy of paypal.  Your policy can be MORE generous than paypal, but it can not be less generous than paypals.

Paypal's policy for this protection is Buyer pays return shipping and upon delivery to seller via tracking, the frozen funds are released to the buyer.  So they are entitled to the Original price plus the original shipping charges, but no more.  What the buyer has to do is escalate the case and then ebay/paypal will FORCE you to refund the original price plus the original shipping, you won't have the opportunity to with hold the $25.