eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • FedEx One Rate

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Global shipping program

I am looking  for advice on Global Shipping program. I sell home decor items and often people ask to ship overseas. I do not offer intern. shipping at the moment. But wondering if I should try the global shipping program. From what I understand customer can not leave negative feedback in this progam. Is it true? On another occasion ebays said if cutomer leaves negative feedback without getting in touch with seller first the negative feedback will not count against the seller. That was not true. In my case sustomer left negative feedback because, she was missing 1 item of 3 purchased. Well she never opened the box, to see that 3 item were shipped together in one box. I emailed her request to revise the feedback, she said she would, just never did. It went against me. Hope this Global shipping is not working the same way. What if item comes damaged? What happens then? Please advise.

Please use plain text.
eworganics
Community Member

Re: Global shipping program

in reply to weaccessorize

Here's a thread you might want to read. :-)

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/International-Trading/Global-Shipping-Program/5100128299

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

From what I understand customer can not leave negative feedback in this progam. Is it true?

That is false.

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

What if item comes damaged? What happens then?

In some scenarios, the GSP will agree that the item was damaged in transit, and will accept responsibility for the financial cost.

In other scenarios, it looks to be somewhere between unknown and disastrous for seller. Buyer cannot return the item via GSP.

As to how likely all of this is, we lack sufficient data so far.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Don't wory. Like everything ebay does, the success and prosperity of the seller come first and foremost. Ebay won't let those overseas buyers leave dings on your DSRs because of mistakes Pitney-Bowes makes.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

OP! I have used the GSP and "IT SUCKS" is the understatement of the year from a seller standpoint.  The biggest problem is that buyers take it out on your DSR's when Pitney Bowes and eBay are the real screw ups in the chain.

If you get an order, have it in the mail in 1 hour and loose money on shipping you will still get star dings because Pitney Bowes drags it's feet, is accused of frequesntly overcharging  and the buyer is fully allowed to ding you because of it. Trust me you will get dinged and it will hurt.

Now if you want to let eBay brow beat you into free shipping that will stop the buyers from dinging your shipping costs, but it wont stop Pitney Bowes from making plenty  on their end of the shipping deal so the customer is still mad at you. Since he can not ding PB he goes for your stars.

This whole GSP scheme is nothing but a money maker for eBay and PB and the seller is the whipping boy. Seems to me that good customer service only applies to the seller and he pays the price even when he/she has done a terrific job in completing responsibilities. This GSP program is one of the sleaziest ideas ebay has thoughtlessly shoved down the pike in years IMHO.

===============================
If it is legal in your state be sure to record every conversation with eBay. You wont be sorry.
Please use plain text.
inuk_the_polar_bear
Community Member

GSP charges duty and taxes that my government does not. Use GSP and you will not have to worry about international sales, you will not have any.

Got Woodie®
Please use plain text.
Community Member

On my selling id, many of my best buyers are international.  I ship direct without a middleman. No need for it.  I print my labels and customs forms through eBay or click and ship.  Quick and never a hassle.

Please use plain text.
d-k_treasures
Community Member

Don't wory. Like everything ebay does, the success and prosperity of the seller come first and foremost. Ebay won't let those overseas buyers leave dings on your DSRs because of mistakes Pitney-Bowes makes.

THIS is why we absolutely need a sarcasm font. 

Someone may actually believe this.

I am NOT a follower.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have sold some items with GSP and am satisfied. The packages arrive to Kentucky center, get processed within 1 day, are en route and are delivered quickly. Yes, customers pay often more, but they get their items way faster as they no longer sit in customs. I've had delivery to Canada in less than a week, the whole Canadian leg took 2 days. So I'd say GSP works out fine if you sell rare or unique items. Cheapskate buyers dislike GSP as they'll need to pay more. In fact I was curious and run some numbers for Canada as some posters complained here how much more expensive GSP is -- for a $40 item the difference was $5 (after adding shipping and customs). If you sell low-cost items (less than $20 to Canada, less than 29 Euros (?) to EU which is duty free) then GSP is not cost-effective, for more expensive items I find it is. 

I would think the buyer could leave whatever FB they wish. The best thing about GSP is that as far as delivery goes, you're only responsible for the domestic leg. In fact you get paid only for as much as you sell domestically and you'll not even see the money going to GSP (hence you're NOT paying eBay/Paypal charges on this money). GSP is essentially providing you more exposure, but you'll not make more money (as many sellers do when shipping themselves internationally and overcharging shipping). A big problem with GSP is that you CANNOT combine shipping and it definitely needs to be dealt with. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

These are the countries for which Global Shipping will apply:

Eligible countries

Australia

Bulgaria

Canada

China

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

Greece

Hungary

Indonesia

Japan

Latvia

Lithuania

Malta

Portugal

Romania

South Africa

South Korea

Sweden

Slovakia

Slovenia

Taiwan

Thailand

United Kingdom

Something very important to remember. From the ebay GSP information.

Listing an item with the Global Shipping Program   To list an item with the Global Shipping Program:

On the Create your listing page, enter details about the item you're selling.

If you know where the item was manufactured, select the appropriate country from the Country of manufacture drop-down menu. Providing this information helps us accurately estimate any import charges and speeds up customs clearance.

In the Give buyers shipping details section, go to the International shipping section, and then select the Global Shipping Program check box. Note: If you're unable to select the Global Shipping Program check box, the listing category is not supported by the Global Shipping Program.

If you want to provide other shipping options to international buyers, click Offer additional service. You can specify up to 4 additional international shipping options.

Note: If you accept returns and your return policy specifies that the cost of return shipping will be paid by you, you're responsible for all costs associated with shipping the item back to you.

Complete your listing, and then click the List your item button.

Pay particular attention to the underlined and bolded information above ^^^^^ . It is a lie. If you should offer the GSP, those buyers in the countries posted above will NOT see, as in NEVER MADE VISIBLE any other options you provide. For those buyers it will be the GPS shipping (highly inflated, with added fees and duties) or nothing.

You may be willing to ship 1st class mail for $6, but buyers in those countries will never know that...they see....added charges, international priority (by unnamed carrier) and duties, whether applicable or not, paid up front......$46.50....

Sellers are unable to observe what their buyer is charged. They just get the negs and star dings for same.

Be careful not to sign up for this program by accident. Once you are in, you've got the virus, and will have it for life. You will need to learn how to "manage it."

Please use plain text.
Community Member

From what I understand customer can not leave negative feedback in this progam. Is it true?

That is false.

LOL.

Until the first ongoing 'glitch'... they'll be 'working on it'...

Renegade SOLIDARNOSC
Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

Until the first ongoing 'glitch'... they'll be 'working on it'...

Not sure what kind of glitch you're imagining, georg

Please use plain text.
Community Member

OMG. You can easily see what buyers in different countries are charged. Just select that country and see. Yes, if you offer GSP, you cannot offer something else on the side to the countries in the GSP! You can offer other options to OTHER countries as GSP list is not all-inclusive. GSP is shipped by USPS Priority, so the lowest weight is from 1 pound and so is the cost. For the OP who sells heavier items, they wouldn't ship by First Class anyway. 

Once you're in, you can easily not offer GSP by clicking on a button within a listing. Maybe some people here need to learn how to use GSP themselves before giving "advice". 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

GSP is shipped by USPS Priority

Look again. USPS is not mentioned nor involved. I think they call it "international priority shipping" . It is NOT USPS.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

I'm not sure how to verify it, but I read that GSP ships via FedEx.

If that's the case, why not just use FedEx yourself? It will get there faster (you don't have to ship to a distribution center first) and you have better control over what value is put on the package. eBay has been quoting outrageous customs tariffs, sometimes for items that normally may be imported duty-free.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

Well, I looked, and I can't find a definitive answer as to how eBay ships.

But... perhaps this is worth noting, for what it's worth...

eBay's GSP distribution center is in Kentucky.

eBay acquired GSI Commerce not too long ago. GSI provides web development, marketing, and various logistical services for well-known retailers like Borders, Calvin Klein, and Toy 'R Us.

DHL also has a distribution center in northern Kentucky and DHL is one of the leading international shippers.

I wonder if eBay might be running GSP through GSI's Kentucky fulfilment center and possibly using DHL's global shipping services located nearby.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I repeat: use GSP internationally if you sell items that are above the duty-free amount and not feasible to ship by First Class. The OP in question fulfills both of these criteria. 

I just checked tracking in Canada, and the item was delivered by Canada Post as an expedited parcel. The whole Canadian leg was dealt with by Canada Post. So I doubt FedEx is used as otherwise FedEx would have delivered and FedEx would have costed the buyer more than GSP from my end. In any case, minimum shipping charge is for 1 pound, no matter if you ship 1 oz or 14 oz. Since Kentucky processing center is next to an international airport, parcels go directly there, but what is marked on them I really don't know. I assumed it's USPS given Priority pricing but may well be some unknown intermediary. 

I also repeat that customs tariffs are not outrageous in GSP. Buying abroad is costly if you buy above the duty-free amount. Shipping abroad is also costly if you go above 1 pound. So the best is to run numbers and see for yourself. Do NOT rely on hearsay. 

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

I just changed my location to Australia and looked up sellers who ship new iPads to Australia without GSP. The average shipping price was $25 to $30.

Then I looked up sellers who are going through GSP. The average shipping price was $45.

I don't know if eBay's increase of 75% shipping was their brokerage fee or brokerage plus tariff fees, but Aussies can import up to about $1,000 without paying customs duty.

So Australian buyers can expect to pay about 75% more on shipping from GSP sellers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

So the best is to run numbers and see for yourself. Do NOT rely on hearsay.

Please provide us with a link that will tell US sellers what their customers would be charged via the GPS compared to regular shipping via USPS, UPS, Fedex, etc. so that we can run our numbers and decided if the program is a viable option.

In the meantime, I rely on common sense. Every parcel sent through the GSP is auto charged (to the buyer) an additional $4.35. There is no breakdown of the tarriffs and charges. I am glad you have this information to compare, so will be looking forward to you sharing it with the rest of us.

Please use plain text.