eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Buyer cancelled order after it was shipped and received

[ Edited ]

Someone bid on and won one of my items and paid pretty quickly via PayPal. Not a huge-value item - just a few bucks. I shipped it out on the 5th of September and got them a tracking number. I checked PayPal today and see that, on the 10th, this person's order was cancelled. The tracking number on PayPal led to a page saying tracking info was not available, but when I used the number from the mailing receipt to be sure, it said the order was delivered on the 7th. Soooo, I made a booboo and mistyped the original tracking number (my bad), but it arrived three days before the order was cancelled. But the buyer left me good feedback.

PayPal says I have 60 days to issue a refund. The buyer never once messaged me about cancelling the order and it was not done through eBay; it was through PayPal. I have never had this happen before and I'm not sure what I should do. Would the folks here be willing to offer suggestions? Why would they cancel their order after they got it? I know I should contact the buyer and ask about it, but is there anything else I should do, like contact eBay about any of this? I'm just wondering how to proceed before...well...proceeding. I updated the tracking info and the buyer will get a message saying as much.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Buyer cancelled order after it was shipped and received

in reply to thriftclosetgoodies

thriftclosetgoodies wrote:

I checked PayPal today and see that, on the 10th, this person's order was cancelled.

What are PayPal's exact words? quoted

Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

Very curious.............I only know of a couple of ways that a paypal pmt might be cancelled.............if a pmt goes unclaimed or perhaps in the case of an e-check...........neither apply here.

It's more likely that the "cancelled" status is showing due to the tracking number not being accepted by paypal.............which I have only heard about and do not have any personal experience.

I wouldn't worry about it at all and just give paypal a call to get it straightened out.............I don't think your buyer has cancelled and your funds should be safe & sound.

Please let us know when you get more info.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything above & below this line is opinion
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ywhat4now

Did it actually take the money out?  I have seen that on some of my transactions, its usually when i viod a label in ebay. A few times, i decided to change the packaging after i printed the label, and the resulting package was heavier. I had to viod the label to print a new one. After that, the transaction on paypal summary say canceled. But when i clicked into details, it was still okay to ship.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hiwesdon

It's strange because PayPal listed the tracking number just fine, there was no error message saying the number was incorrect or not accepted. Everything also looks just fine in the details. Verified buyer and shipping address.

The cancellation status is still there despite changing the tracking info to a correct number. Here is what the PayPal details page for this transaction said (with usernames and emails blanked out):

Item Total: $4.25 USD
Sales Tax:  
Shipping: $2.00 USD
Seller discount or charges: $0.00 USD

Total amount: $6.25 USD
Fee amount: -$0.48 USD
Net amount: $5.77 USD

Issue a refund Help
  You have up to 60 days to refund the payment.
Date: Sep 4, 2013
Time: 00:31:14 PDT

Insurance: $0.00 USD

Payment From: **********    (The sender of this payment is Verified)
Buyer's ID: *****************
Buyer's Email: ****************@gmail.com
Payment Sent to:

***************@hotmail.com

Payment Type: Instant

Tracking Number: 9114901159815381233127 Help
Carrier: USPS
Order Status: Cancelled (Sep 10, 2013)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

This just means that if you wish to refund, you have up to 60 days to click on the link to Issue a Refund. It does not mean that you are being required to issue refund.

Net amount: $5.77 USD

Issue a refund Help
  You have up to 60 days to refund the payment.
Date: Sep 4, 2013

Your buyer did not cancel the order. The Order Status Cancelled refers to the replacement of the tracking number.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hiwesdon

@hiwesdon, the order was cancelled before I changed the tracking number. The details screen did not change between when I checked my acocunt and when I updated the tracking info. I thought maybe it was due to the item arriving, but it got delivered on the 7th, so if that was the case, I imagine it would be cancelled on the 7th. And why would PayPal take 5 or 6 days to notice a wrong tracking number? It's all just really weird.

I'm glad the order arrived and I got good feedback and everything, so I probably am becoming too concerned about this. But I just wanted to try and find out what was going on in the event it happens in the future so I know what to do, if anything. I emailed the seller (since eBay's messaging system continues to not work for me) and never got a response.

But thank you - and everyone else too - for your assistance. Thanks for taking a few minutes to help out. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
misfitfun
Community Member

If the money is available to you(not refunded or held)don't worry about it.May mean they noticed bad tracking number

-------------------------------------------------------------
This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Please use plain text.