Archive Selling
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Are selling used subway metrocards considered feedback manipulation?

Are selling used subway metrocards considered feedback manipulation?

y.us633
Adventurer

I have a bunch of used mta metrocards. Thinking in selling them for at least $1.00. By the way, these are not digital delivery goods. They will be phisically shipped.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES

Re: Are selling used subway metrocards considered feedback manipulation?

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 10:48:46 AM

Why would they be? Would someone buy them for a reason? Would you be shipping them?

If you can't afford to lose it, don't list it here.
Message 2 of 9

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 10:51:14 AM
y.us633
Adventurer
Yes, someone would buy it for date collection haha and yes, ill physically go shipping it. The reason i ask is because i heard if sell a lot of cheap items it could be considered feed manipulation
Message 3 of 9

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 10:52:13 AM
black*max
Rockstar

Check the list of banned item first.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-A person can be rich in one of two ways, They can have lots of friends or lots of money, but not both.
Message 4 of 9

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 1:02:14 PM
circa1901
Rockstar
Last Edited 01:05:22 PM

y.us633 wrote:
Yes, someone would buy it for date collection haha

Do you mean DATA collection? Is there personally identifiable information on them? Did they belong to people other than yourself?

Found this ...

The MTA would not comment on Jones’ money-making operation but did say that, “The sale of fare media is prohibited by anyone except for employees … or others who are given written permission. We encourage customers to refill their MetroCards to get maximum value.”

http://matzav.com/homeless-man-makes-more-than-20000-re-selling-discarded-metrocards

Message 5 of 9

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 7:36:50 PM
ted_200
Rockstar

circa1901 wrote:

y.us633 wrote:
Yes, someone would buy it for date collection haha

Do you mean DATA collection? Is there personally identifiable information on them? Did they belong to people other than yourself?

Found this ...

The MTA would not comment on Jones’ money-making operation but did say that, “The sale of fare media is prohibited by anyone except for employees … or others who are given written permission. We encourage customers to refill their MetroCards to get maximum value.”

http://matzav.com/homeless-man-makes-more-than-20000-re-selling-discarded-metrocards

Someone I know was selling these, along with subway tokens, and old subway maps... as memorabilia.  These weren't current cards that could be refilled, they were obsolete and valueless for subway travel.  However, I think an issue came up that involved Homeland Security, and anti-terrorism measures.  Either you can't sell them, or you need to be crystal clear that they are obsolete, cannot be recharged, and cannot be used for any transit.  Check eBay's policies, I think they cover this there... (no, I don't feel like hunting it down myself tonight). 

Message 6 of 9

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 8:03:02 PM
sitisasitis
Guide
Last Edited 08:05:50 PM

No, what the OP is referring to is selling low-cost items for the sheer purpose of accumulating positive feedback...

I have news for you...

Do NOT sell on ebay because you need feedback!

Do NOT do it, sell on ebay because you want to sell what it is you are selling.

You are selling a product, you're not selling feedback, FB sellers are ruining the experience for all the rest of us.

Just ask those Chinese sellers with 100,000+ feedback selling all those cheap phone screen covers how the tactic is working out for them.

Tell you one thing, ain't a one of them have 100% positive and I can tell you something else...

They're as responsible for ebay's decline as ebay itself. 

I'd rather have only a few hundred feedback scores and a 100%

Than tens of thousand feedback and a 98.1% or so...

Look here

1.  If positive feedback on the cheap is what you are after, try BUYING a ton of sub-$1 stuff, reason is sellers can only leave Positive feedback and whether buying or selling, FB is FB... Take $50 and buy up a bunch of cheap trinkets all from different sellers and you should be good.

2.  I use my main ID for both buying AND selling, once again because FB is FB and sellers can only leave me positive FB.

And last but not least...

3.  Selling low-cost items purely because you need Feedback is likely to backfire, not because it's feedback manipulation but because your main concern is something other than the product you're selling.

One more time...

Do NOT sell on ebay because of feedback!

Do NOT do it.

Sell on ebay because you want to sell what it is you are selling!

Sell a product, don't sell feedback.

Message 7 of 9

in reply to Feb 24, 2014 8:31:16 PM

I think you've already crossed the feedback manipulation bridge.

Love all the Singapore "photographs" that you sold that were digitally delivered.

You just have to wonder what high ticket items the OP will be selling after those feedback numbers get up there.

I also have to wonder if Ebay is asleep.

Message 8 of 9

in reply to Feb 25, 2014 2:36:17 PM
muttlymob
Rockstar
Message 9 of 9