eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Annoying pop-up ads

What's with these pop-up ads I'm getting when I try to write to my customer to request feedback?  eBay shows a picture of a similar item while I'm trying to type and I can't even see what I'm typing.  When did this become a thing?

Community Member

Re: Annoying pop-up ads

in reply to rozier3

Since they hired 6yr olds to do the programming. We've got arrow pop out from right to shoot you back to the top. blue popus to show you how many people have looked at this item per hour, how many people are watching this item, pop up to tell you to hurry & bid as items ending, bells to remind you items are ending soon so hurry up bid, new pop up to remind you how many fb you need to leave & on & on & on. Just rediculous that the ceo & office jerks find this tech overlay to be so magnificent for the future of this site. When reality proves it to be a cluster heap of printed garbage flashing away every second of every hour.

ferretdante
Community Member

in reply to oaksriversplashn

I use AdBlockPlus and rarely get popups ANYWHERE.  It works best on FireFox, but they make the plugin for all browsers.  Just google it and when you get to the site it will know what browser you are using and then you can install it.

shabbychicandpink
Community Member

in reply to ferretdante

Yup. Use AdBlock Plus.

pantlandia
Community Member

in reply to shabbychicandpink

Scan for malware. AdBlock doesn't do squat for pop ups...only ads embedded in pages.

shabbychicandpink
Community Member

in reply to pantlandia

pantlandia wrote:

Scan for malware. AdBlock doesn't do squat for pop ups...only ads embedded in pages.

Disagree completely.

Community Member

in reply to rozier3

If your using firefox , just uninstall it and then re install , Thats what I did and it got

rid of the pop ups , Adblock is good also

circa1901
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to pantlandia

pantlandia wrote:

It isn't malware.

Pop-ups are all over the site as oaksriver mentioned. Most of them can't be dealt with by Adblock Plus ...I believe because they're "overlays", not traditional pop-ups. So far, I've only seen the blue boxes, but am sure the others are just around the corner for all of us.

Adblock Plus does get rid of the bell icon, but if you hover where it's supposed to be you'll see whatever dumb message ebay wants you to see anyway, so using AB+ is really moot at this point.

Not sure that it does any good, but I routinely let them "know what I think" ...and it isn't good. I'm polite, but to the point.

http://qu.ebay.com/survey?srvName=globalheader+%28footer-US%29

black*max
Community Member

in reply to circa1901

I message buyers all the time, I don't see any popups on eBay.

If you are getting popups on eBay you do have a aware infection.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
ferretdante
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Yes as black*max said it maybe malware, and OP should scan for it, however I get no ads or popups using AdBlockPlus in conjunction with 'GreaseMonkey,' which is 'a user script monitor' that covers other annoying ads/popups and blocks nasty stuff as well.   With adBlockPlus you can also customize your ad blocking by 'right Clicking' the ads that do get through and you can add a blocking filter for it.