eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How do people make money on ebay?

I have a pretty simple question. How do people make money on ebay? My problem is I don't have anything else around that I want to sell, and I don't see how if I buy things just to sell them on ebay how anyone could make money off of that. I want to know how those people who sell thousands of items on ebay... where do they get all of those items and how can they price them to make any money.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
That's the million Dollar question my friend. You find that out you let me know. Best of luck to you:-)
Please use plain text.
comicbookcase
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
Love your hobby. Make it your business.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
There's an old saying: "It takes money to make money". If you don't have anything at home to sell; you have to find something to sell that you have knowledge of and can buy at a low enough price to make a profit. Look at web sites of manufacturers of products you know something about. Look for items that compliment items that you noticed that sell good on eBay. Go into stores to find inexpensive items that you can sell to people who don't have access to them, etc. A prime example: One seller was selling 1/144-scale, painted models of World War 2 vehicles. They sold at WalMart for under $2.00 and he was selling, on eBay, for about $5.00, plus shipping. Start out slow - items with low cost - before you start trying to sell expensive items. Hope this helps you.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
Good one!. I will get back when i learn, ever consider looking through want adds and finding those items?. It is a ripe and ready to reap market. Good luck. Photobucket
yellooh
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
this might help you can buy products for a low price and sell them for what you want just go here http://www.aidandtrade.com/member/go.php?r=203882
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
If you haven't been hoarding collectibles for years as we have, flea markets, yard sales, & estate sales are usually good for some items if you have a good eye. You never know what someone may want. Our area has a lot of businesses closing so 'Going Out of Business' sales are an option, especially when the discount is 60% - 80% off. It's all a gamble though. You won't be right every time but you won't be wrong every time either.
Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
The sellers buy the items from other Ebayers, then file a "significantly not as described" complaint through Paypal. Paypal, who always f***s the sellers, gives them their money back after telling them to return the item. The buyer then puts some dog s**t in a box and sends it back, then reports a tracking number to paypal. Paypal is then happy, and the seller is out of luck unless he can come up with a police report, which is impossible to get because the cop didn't see you open the box and he's probably allergic to dog s**t. You think this is funny? It works, try it. I assume you will not be bringing the macaroni salad to the next MENSA picnic.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
chfisher2004 lol !! :^O you couldn't have said it any better!! I like your sence of humor!! !I hate to admit it but you right!! As long as ebay gets their fees why should they care.Notlooking good for sellers.I hope ebay will do something soom to correct this problem. Is this a scam or what? I sold a item to a ebay member. The member said that they would pay with a check. So i agreed to a check. I get check in the mail and the check has a differten NAME and ADDRESS on it!!Should i cash the check and send the item on. I am puzzeled on what to do. Or should i forget it . DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THIS MATTER?
grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
:^O:^O:^O WE DON'T :^O:^O:^O
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
I don't think its a good idea to cash the check and I would contact ebay and let them know and NOT ship to that buyer with a message to inform them that nothing will be shipped due to a false check. If they can make it right then let them and if not then file a report with ebay and get your fees back.

I must say the fees that ebay charges for listings and then when you sell an item make it a struggle to think you could sell and succeed on ebay. You almost have to pay nothing for an item to be able to sell on ebay and make a profit.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
Ebay is getting greedier and greedier. I just got a email from ebay say my powerselling status is at risk to go down do to volume of sales. they had put me on a freeze on listing amount because of a listing I had on a pair of jeans was ended due to supposely infringement. They don't even give you a correct answer on what??? They where real McCoy. The name brand even said you can list them if they where a gift? I have a letter to their lawyer on the jeans. Crazy. Ebay are mean and they don't even know their business on this. I would not have even been selling this summer had the gas prices whern't so high this summer I usally on the road doing antique shows. Ebays loves to flex their muscles and treat their sellers like crap. Who makes the payment monthly? Getting rediculous. Satan is at work. Utah is where the ebay office is now UMMMM.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bennyd34
MAN WENT TO RELIST AN ITEM I SELL FOR $125 AND THEY DOUBLED MY FVF $13.00 PLUS $2 LISTING AND THEY PAYPIG GETS $6 AND THATS 20% OF SALE. I CANT EVEN EARN 5% ON A DEAL.. WHAT THE RUCK.. ITS MAKING ME SICK..THE POWER SELLERS WITH 2000 FBS AND 75 NEG 68 NUTRAL AND THEY STILL SELL SELL SELL. AND THEY DONT PAY THESE FEES..IF I GET ONE NEG AND IM SCREWWED AS A LITTLE FISH IN A POWER SCREWER SWEET OF A DEAL THEYVVE GIVEN OUT... FLEACING OF AMERICA.. THEY ALOW THESE CRAPY $9 DOLLAR CRAP/CHIPS THAT CLAIM YOU GET 100 MORE HP AND ADDS 35 MPG.. NOW IF THATS NOT FRAUD I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.. OH IT IS A POWERSCREWER THEY GET PRIVLAGES.. WHAT THE... IM SORRY ABOUT YELLING BUT THIS DOUBLING MY FVF IS WRONG 20% OF MY SALE IS WRONG ME DOING FEEBAY FOR FREE IS WRONG. I JUST NEED TO MAKE AN EXTRA BUCK FOR FOOD GAS WHATEVER AND PROVIDE A DECENT ITEM CHEAPLY.. 20% OF MY SALE WHAT DO THEY THINK IM GETTING IT FOR FREE.NOW I RAISE MY ITEM 25% TO EARM 8 BUCS COMEON. THEY EXPECT ME TO WORK FOR FREE?
Please use plain text.