The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.
Meet other eBay Community members who share your interests and passions.
Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!
The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers
The single source of information for new and professional sellers
Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.
03-14-2010 11:53 PM
03-31-2010 04:43 AM
03-31-2010 11:36 AM
08-21-2012 03:36 PM
It is cameras and camera lenses where I run into this the most. I have people who place the winning bid SECONDS before the auctions end and then they make no attempt to contact me or reply to messages for days. I will give them three days of silence then it goes second chance to the next bidder down. Period. If they can be at the keyboard 4 seconds before auctions end they can contact me just as quick when they win. If they are using a bot to do their bidding I don't want to sell to them anyway. If they contact me and tell me it will take a few days to get their payment together thats ok. Silence does not work. Ebay needs a way to defeat bot bidding. It is unfair to the other bidders.
09-16-2012 06:33 AM
I'm having the same problem. Someone purchased a guitar or I should say bid on a guitar and won but will not answer me or pay. They won it on Thursday morning and I have sent 2 invoices and no answer. I'm thinking I will send one tonight(Sunday) saying if I haven't heard from them or received there payment by the end of the day tomorrow I will being putting the item back up for second chance. I'm hoping this is the right procedure but its over $500 I'm waiting for the buyer to pay and I'm scared if I wait to long to second chance the item the other people will not be interested anymore.
10-11-2012 12:13 PM
Same problem here. One day is enough, if buyer don't respond at all, then it's time to give chance to next one.
4 days is too long period, during that time second best bidder may find another way to get wished item and seller have to list his/her item again and go through the whole process again.Time is money!
11-02-2012 04:24 PM
I just sold a leather jacket and i sent an invoice to the winner. The auction ended early in the morning. I happen to be up at that time, so I thought it would be nice of me to send an invoice to the winner. Fast forward later that evening. I am about to go to bed and I wanted to see if the buyer had paid for the jacket. Nope. So I sent the buyer a message asking when I should expect payment. The buyer replied back with a rather rude reply. He told me that I better not rush him, that he didnt care about the jacket and I could cancel the transaction. I replied back saying that he did not need to become belligerent with me and I asked if he wanted to cancel the whole thing. I expected a reply. So I sent one last message. I apologized to the buyer for being pushy. I explained why I did what I did. I apologized again. Then I told the buyer that if I dont get payment in 7 days, I am going to have to file a complaint with ebay. I made sure to let him know that I would rather not go that route. I stated that we should handle this like adults. I am waiting to see what this guy h as to say to my message. It just makes me so angry. If you win an auction, you should pay immediately. If you dont have the money right then and there but will with in 24-48 hours, email the seller so they know whats up.
11-04-2012 04:47 AM
My understanding is that one has to wait at least 8 days before the second chance offer because one has to wait for at least 4 days before filing an unpaid case, then another 4 days before the transaction is canceled. Is my understanding correct?
01-21-2013 04:34 PM
Thats wrong of that guy to act like that, This is the first time i have ever sold anything and i am waiting on a response from the winning bidder. I sent a message and a invoice because i am not sure what to do and honestly if he responds to me the way your guy did i am reporting it and canceling it . People nowadays, To me it seems easier to be kind then rude and he must have cared about the jacket or he would not have been bidding on it
01-21-2013 10:36 PM
If you haven't been paid after 4 days just open up an ebay case for non-payment. The buyer has 4 additional days to respond/pay. If no payment is received the case is closed and no final value fees are paid by the seller. You can authorize eBay to close a case automatically for you if you set this capability option.
I have found that buyers that have no history of purchases or have signed up for ebay within a few days of buying are my primary non-payers.
04-20-2013 01:56 PM
Timing is important
If you don't receive payment, you can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center as early as 2 days or up until 32 days after the listing ended (or immediately if the buyer is no longer registered on eBay).
Note: This means you have to wait at least 2 full days before you can open a case, unless the buyer is no longer registered. For example, if the listing ended on October 5 at 11:15 am, you can't open the case until at least October 7 at 11:15 am.
04-22-2013 06:14 PM
This is my first time having to wait a week for payment. I have tried to contact buyer with no answer. I opened a case and dont know how long it will take them to resolve this. I did know about 2nd chance bid. I always pay for my winnings immediately.
04-23-2013 09:37 AM
I sent my buyer an invoice immediately after the auction closed. That was about 9:00 pm CDT last night. I've heard nothing from the buyer and, like someone else said, if they can be accessible to bid they ought to respond and pay in a timely manner.
Is there a generally accepted length of time after the auction before you begin more "intensive" work with the potential buyer? Is 12 hours too soon to begin asking my buyer about her intentions? Thanks!
04-25-2013 06:05 AM
I too am dealing with a non-responive buyer (bidder). I'm not sure if you're aware, but as a buyer, I've noticed lately that I rarely receive the "you won" notice from ebay. As I"m on a computer all day, I don't spend much time on one on "my" time and those notices are very helpful, especially with auctions that are over 7 days in length.
04-26-2013 10:38 AM
I've sold 3 items this week and all of them were sold to separate bidders with good history and ratings. No payment or response for all 3. One I've been waiting for 4 days that I opened a case on. The other two are 48 hours. This is frustrating. Never had this problem before, is eBay's notification system not working?
05-28-2013 12:08 PM
I'm new to this selling on eBay. I had a listing which was open to bids or a buy it now. It still had 6 hours to go and someone bought it on the by it now option. I immediately sent the invoice . I've heard nothing from the buyer i sent them a message advising them that item would be shipped as soon as payment was received. I've heard nothing from them. How long Ido I give them before I message them again. It's £400 I'm waiting on which is a large amount of money. Buyer is new to eBay and has no feedback.
05-29-2013 06:20 AM
I have this same issue right now, I sold 6 items on the 25th (Saturday) and got paid for all of them within the first day except one. Figures it would be the most expensive item too which got the most interest, now I have a $150 item sitting here which cost $15 in final value fees and I haven't heard from the buyer in almost 4 days. The buyer has over 20 positive feedbacks and apparently no previous problems so why me and why now? It wouldn't bother me but it was the most expensive item I sold and I really need the money. I always make sure I have the money before I bid and pay immediately (or as soon as I can) because I feel it would be rude and an inconvenience to the seller if I didn't -- apparently not everyone feels the same way. I'll be giving the buyer a week and contacting them June 1st to see if they still want the item.