eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How Long do you give a buyer to pay before I do 2nd chance offer?

I some what new to selling most people pay in 1 to 3 days it going on a week no payment and no email. Is it 7 days or 14 days till I do 2nd chance offer for 2nd highest bidder?
Community Member

Re: How Long do you give a buyer to pay before I do 2nd chance offer?

in reply to joeyc481
This is the situation I am currently dealing with. Aggravating, isn't it?

I'm giving the buyer a week, two weeks seems overly lenient. Especially after the third time of trying to contact the buyer to no avail.

So after seven days I will file a non-paying buyer claim with eBay and go from there with the second chance offer.
pocomocomputing
Community Member

in reply to joeyc481
You should file a claim with eBay as a Non paying bidder after 7 or 8 days. Then wait for the case to be settled by eBay. When you win the case, then offer to the second chance bidder.

If you want to automate this process, eBay has a new tool for you to use. It will automatically open a Unpaid item case for you after 4 days if the item is not paid. You can select 8 days and other time limits.

Updates to the unpaid item process; Unpaid Item Assistant available to all sellers soon in the next couple of weeks, we’ll be making the process for handling unpaid items easier for both buyers and sellers.

Improvements to the process when you open an unpaid item claim manually

If a buyer doesn’t pay and you cancel the transaction, the buyer will no longer be able to pay for the item.
If you open an unpaid item case, it will be closed automatically when the buyer pays using a safe electronic payment method such as PayPal or Moneybookers.
Automate claims with Unpaid Item Assistant, available soon to more sellers
In the next few weeks, the new Unpaid Item Assistant will gradually be available to more sellers and we expect to make it available to all sellers by the end of March.

Unpaid Item Assistant automatically opens a case if your buyer doesn’t pay after a period of time that you specify. If four days pass without payment after the case is opened, the case will be closed, your Final Value Fee will be automatically refunded, the buyer won’t be able to leave Feedback, and you will be able to relist your item.

To find out if it’s available to you, towards the end of March go to My eBay or Selling Manager > Account tab > Site Preferences > Selling Preferences, and look for the link to opt in

Here is a direct link to the announcement

LINK

I have no personal experience with this process but it does sound like a good tool.
Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

It is cameras and camera lenses where I run into this the most.  I have people who place the winning bid SECONDS before the auctions end and then they make no attempt to contact me or reply to messages for days. I will give them three days of silence then it goes second chance to the next bidder down. Period. If they can be at the keyboard 4 seconds before auctions end they can contact me just as quick when they win. If they are using a bot to do their bidding I don't want to sell to them anyway. If they contact me and tell me it will take a few days to get their payment together thats ok. Silence does not work. Ebay needs a way to defeat bot bidding. It is unfair to the other bidders.

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I'm having the same problem.  Someone purchased a guitar or I should say bid on a guitar and won but will not answer me or pay.  They won it on Thursday morning and I have sent 2 invoices and no answer.  I'm thinking I will send one tonight(Sunday) saying if I haven't heard from them or received there payment by the end of the day tomorrow I will being putting the item back up for second chance.  I'm hoping this is the right procedure but its over $500 I'm waiting for the buyer to pay and I'm scared if I wait to long to second chance the item the other people will not be interested anymore.

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

Same problem here. One day is enough, if buyer don't respond at all, then it's time to give chance to next one.

4 days is too long period, during that time second best bidder may find another way to get wished item and seller have to list his/her item again and go through the whole process again.Time is money!

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I just sold a leather jacket and i sent an invoice to the winner. The auction ended early in the morning. I happen to be up at that time, so I thought it would be nice of me to send an invoice to the winner. Fast forward later that evening. I am about to go to bed and I wanted to see if the buyer had paid for the jacket. Nope. So I sent the buyer a message asking when I should expect payment. The buyer replied back with a rather rude reply. He told me that I better not rush him, that he didnt care about the jacket and I could cancel the transaction. I replied back saying that he did not need to become belligerent with me and I asked if he wanted to cancel the whole thing. I expected a reply. So I sent one last message. I apologized to the buyer for being pushy. I explained why I did what I did. I apologized again. Then I told the buyer that if I dont get payment in 7 days, I am going to have to file a complaint with ebay. I made sure to let him know that I would rather not go that route. I stated that we should  handle this like adults. I am waiting to see what this guy h as to say to my message. It just makes me so angry. If you win an auction, you should pay immediately. If you dont have the money right then and there but will with in 24-48 hours, email the seller so they know whats up.

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

My understanding is that one has to wait at least 8 days before the second chance offer because one has to wait for at  least 4 days before filing an unpaid case, then another 4 days before the transaction is canceled.  Is my understanding correct?

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

Thats wrong of that guy to act like that, This is the first time i have ever sold anything and i am waiting on a response from the winning bidder. I sent a message and a invoice because i am not sure what to do and honestly if he responds to me the way your guy did i am reporting it and canceling it . People nowadays, To me it seems easier to be kind then rude and he must have cared about the jacket or he would not have been bidding on it

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

If you haven't been paid after 4 days just open up an ebay case for non-payment. The buyer has 4 additional days to respond/pay. If no payment is received the case is closed and no final value fees are paid by the seller. You can authorize eBay to close a case automatically for you if you set this capability option.

I have found that buyers that have no history of purchases or have signed up for ebay within a few days of buying are my primary non-payers. 

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

This is so true! I need the money and I might loose the second chance bidder!

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

From Ebay..

Timing is important

There is a limited time when you can open and close a case and be credited for certain fees.

• If you don't receive payment, you can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center as early as 2 days or up until 32 days after the listing ended (or immediately if the buyer is no longer registered on eBay).

Note: This means you have to wait at least 2 full days before you can open a case, unless the buyer is no longer registered. For example, if the listing ended on October 5 at 11:15 am, you can't open the case until at least October 7 at 11:15 am.

-meganwhit-
jailbreakgoodies.tumblr.com
Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

This is my first time having to wait a week for payment. I have tried to contact buyer with no answer. I opened a case and dont know how long it will take them to resolve this. I did know about 2nd chance bid. I always pay for my winnings immediately.

bankdude729
Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I sent my buyer an invoice immediately after the auction closed.  That was about 9:00 pm CDT last night.  I've heard nothing from the buyer and, like someone else said, if they can be accessible to bid they ought to respond and pay in a timely manner.  

Is there a generally accepted length of time after the auction before you begin more "intensive" work with the potential buyer?  Is 12 hours too soon to begin asking my buyer about her intentions?  Thanks!

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I too am dealing with a non-responive buyer (bidder).  I'm not sure if you're aware, but as a buyer, I've noticed lately that I rarely receive the "you won" notice from ebay.  As I"m on a computer all day, I don't spend much time on one on "my" time and those notices are very helpful, especially with auctions that are over 7 days in length. 

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I've sold 3 items this week and all of them were sold to separate bidders with good history and ratings. No payment or response for all 3. One I've been waiting for 4 days that I opened a case on. The other two are 48 hours. This is frustrating. Never had this problem before, is eBay's notification system not working?

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

This is the second time this has happened to me, something really needs to be done about non-paying bidders.

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I'm new to this selling on eBay. I had a listing which was open to bids or a buy it now. It still had 6 hours to go and someone bought it on the by it now option. I immediately sent the invoice . I've heard nothing from the buyer i sent them a message advising them that item would be shipped as soon as payment was received. I've heard nothing from them. How long Ido I give them before I message them again. It's £400 I'm waiting on which is a large amount of money. Buyer is new to eBay and has no feedback.

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

I have this same issue right now, I sold 6 items on the 25th (Saturday) and got paid for all of them within the first day except one. Figures it would be the most expensive item too which got the most interest, now I have a $150 item sitting here which cost $15 in final value fees and I haven't heard from the buyer in almost 4 days. The buyer has over 20 positive feedbacks and apparently no previous problems so why me and why now? It wouldn't bother me but it was the most expensive item I sold and I really need the money. I always make sure I have the money before I bid and pay immediately (or as soon as I can) because I feel it would be rude and an inconvenience to the seller if I didn't -- apparently not everyone feels the same way. I'll be giving the buyer a week and contacting them June 1st to see if they still want the item.

Community Member

in reply to joeyc481

UPDATE - I just got paid for the item about an hour after posting this - it's a miracle! I guess the 7-day rule is a keeper! lol