eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

HELP! cannot print labels.. Error; "click here to activate the java platfor

When attempting to print a shipping label from ebay or paypal I receive this Java error and cannot print; "this plugin has security vulernbilities click here to activate the java platform SE 7 U plugin' Anyone have a fix for this?

Please use plain text.
jparkj
Community Member

Re: HELP! cannot print labels.. Error; "click here to activate the java platfor

in reply to dragunov1

Having the same issue. 

I just don't understand why there are SO MANY java related problems with eBay Labels. You would think they (eBay) would have this system ironed out perfectly.

Printers don't show up in the target printer list, you have to constantly click windows to get to a print screen, plug in issues. It just doesn't seem to stop. I don't get it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

i think i can help you. i just had the same thing happen to me and have identified & fixed the problem. i think in your case and some others you updated your firefox version from 17 to 18. 18 now has a feature called click to play. what this means is you need to enable the java/javascript plug in. [note: i am assuming you did not do anything else to your system around the date you mentioned noticing the change like disabling or uninstalling java] to enable the plug in, you'll notice a plug in icon appears in the firefox webpage address title bar to the left of the ebay website address. click on it and enable the plug in.      fixed now? [took me all morning yesterday to figure this out myself!!]

Please use plain text.
Community Member

printing ebay labels java security vulnerability SE 7 U

in reply to dragunov1

Although I don't know what it does, this is a way around it. in the Browser of my 18.01 firefox on the left side there is a red icon. this is the one that you can right click and enable. If you go to setting within firefox it will already be enabled, so somehow this is different.

I also did this to stop some pop ups: 

1. Right click WordPad under Acessories, "Run as Administrator"

2."Open"C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Java\jre***\lib\security\java.policy

Java folder

JRE version

Lib folder

Security folder

Click on see all files.

Look for java policy

3. Insert this BEFORE THE FINAL }; BRACKET

permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "queuePrintJob";

4. Save/Close

5. Repeat after a Java upgrade.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

@quickswitchllc see my post right above yours for the "what" you mentioned

i suspect mozilla did this so we can control the java/javascript vulnerabilities (not always enabled). a workaround for sun's problems.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

I had some printing problems too. 

Removed Java 7 and installed Java 6. 

Java 6 works better but still locks up sometimes - I will restart Chrome / IE and its back to working. 

PS to eBay's Tech dept its only your site I have problems with. Might be nice to fix it in 2013????

Please use plain text.
moneymaster2011
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

In additon to making this change, I found that for me I had to do this in IE9: 

Go to Internet TOOLS--->Programs--->Manage AddOns--->

In the list of AddOns I had to ENABLE all the Java Plug-In Helper files.

Now if I could just get rid of the dang "Save" for the printer choice every time I print with the Zebra LP2844 !

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

This worked for me. I was able to get rid of the select a printer issue.

But I still have a Java pop up window that asks me to block or unblock "BnBLabelApplet"

It says something like, "Block potentially unsafe...."

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of that pop up box?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

I am in the same boat, the select printer deal is gone but I still get a message about block or unblock as stated by the above user. We need a FIX!!!!!!! Please.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

Editing the java policy worked for the printer selection issue, but the pop up that asks to block or not still persists.

Please use plain text.
dixiesuperstore
Community Member

in reply to paul_oz

It is not a Firefox issue, the same problem happens with iExplorer and Chrome.

We are encountering this problem for a long time time now. Have spoken with eBay and PayPal customer support, and the reply is that they ARE WAITING FOR Pitney Bowes TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Really, we are paying big bucks to these companies, and we have to wait until PB solves the issue? Why do we have to bother with changing scripts (probably most members do not feel comfortable doing it). The present mailing label printing engine is obsolete and slow. Try the one that Amazon uses if you will see the difference. We tried batch printing and the mail person returned many packages because he/she could not not read the addresses.

We agree with other people here, eBay and PayPal should talk to Java and Pitney Bowes, and take care of this issue once and forl all. We are paying for a service that should be flawless. And if Pitney Bowes does not take care of the problem, eBay and Paypal should use a different engine. This one sucks anyway. SLOW AND OBSOLETE.

Please use plain text.
dixiesuperstore
Community Member

in reply to paul_oz

This problem does not have anything to do with Firefox, it happens with any other browser. The problem originates with Pitney Bowes,  the certificate for the applet is expired, therefore Java will not accept it as safe. EBay and PayPal should DEMAND Pitney Bowes to take care of this issue. Our feeling is that Pitney Bowes label printing is obsolete and slow. We pay big bucks to eBay and PayPal, and they should take care of this immediately. Otherwise, change the engine for a better one. We have an Amazon store, and their label printing system is amazing and FAST!

Please use plain text.
hit_factor_shooting_supply
Community Member

in reply to dixiesuperstore

Go into the java control panel. Advanced tab, scroll down to mixed code, change to Enable - hide warning and run with protections. That will take care of the Block/Don't Block.

This simply a problem with the default security settings in Java. Actually, not really a problem - a change you can make to allow a less secure computing environment. It's a choice, I guess.

Please use plain text.
swd4444rpz
Community Member

Re: HELP! Cannot print labels.. Error; "click here to activate the java platfor

in reply to jparkj

i think it would be eaiser to do what my friend tells me i should do..go to postoffice or in my case the pawn shop where i live prints out the label.ships for me..and after tht i get back on my ebay and mark item as shipped and insert the tracking number.and al;l is well..this my first time shipping.but my friend has shipped many items.i trust his tactics will work.but ive read where people dont officially submit tracking numbers to ebay and tht can def.cause issies.cause someone on the buying bend of the deal can say they diddnt receive the item and they get issuied the refund and u may get charged all because u forgot or diddnt know better to submit officailly submitt tracking info to ebay..got to..got to allways show proof tht u done something i dont wanna learn the hard way..hope this helped someone..

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to hit_factor_shooting_supply
Thank you! This worked...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: HELP! Cannot print labels.. Error; "click here to activate the java platfor

in reply to swd4444rpz

Thank you so much for the Firefox recommendation and the Java Advanced setting tweaks. This worked.

I agree that the app is terrible though.

Please use plain text.
dimarmotorsportsllc
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to hit_factor_shooting_supply

I'm getting a different message just now that won't allow me to print anything off the ebay shipping page. Message as follows:

Security Exception

Missing required permissions manifest attribute in main jar:

https://ibdswebp41-ext.pb.com/TranResponse/bnlabel.jar

All this happened after installing the Java Update 51

Please help!

Please use plain text.
cheapsparks
Community Member

in reply to dragunov1

same issue here twice personal account and work account, Called eBay and it was the first time the heard about it (although I just called 2 hours earlier with the same issue). There solution was take it to the post office.  You would think they would test the updates before mandating them. 

Please use plain text.
ruonanhu
Community Member

in reply to cheapsparks

Same problem here, happened right after update 51 installed.  Tried uninstalling 51 and reinstalling 45 but page will not recongize u45 plugin and keeps prompting me to activate my Java plugin.  Have been using my ClicknShip account to print labels but all the importing is killing me.  Does anyone have a solution?

Please use plain text.
ruonanhu
Community Member

in reply to ruonanhu

After 3 hours of surfing the web for content I think I have figured out both the root and the most secure workaround for this problem.

The root is due to the changes made in the Security Slider, pasted below from http://java.com/en/download/faq/release_changes.xml.

Security Feature Enhancements

• Changes to Security Slider
    • Block Self-Signed and Unsigned applets on High Security Setting
    • Require Permissions Attribute for High Security Setting
    • Warn users of missing Permissions Attributes for Medium Security Setting

Quick Solution:

1) open Java control panel

2) click on security tab

3) slide bar down to medium

This a quick workaround but definitely not recommended for long term use.  Given Java's nortorious security problems, I would not suggest this setting for general web surfing.

Full Solution:

1) open Java control panel

2) click on security tab

3) click on "Edit Site List" button

4) maunally add https://ibdswebp1-ext.pb.com - https://ibdswebp50-ext.pb.com to the exception site list.  Basically you will have to add each server site inividually so this will take some time.

https://ibdswebp1-ext.pb.com (click add)

https://ibdswebp2-ext.pb.com (click add and so on and so on...)

The 50 is only a guess since I really don't know how many servers Pitney Bowes have but I've never seen one as high as 43 so I thought 50 would be a safe bet.

I have printed about 10 labels now using the full solution with the security slider on high with no problems.  Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the annoying security waring popup window.  If you click on the "show options" field and check the "do not show this again..." box it will not show the warning next time you ping that particular server.  However, given there are at least 43 server sites you might have to do this quite a few times to get them all add to the list.

Finally, to get rid of the printer popup box, the code is pasted below for java.policy file.  Please note the new format used by Oracle since update 45.  Just follow same instructions as before but with the new code.

permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "queuePrintJob", "read";

Hope this was helpful!

Please use plain text.