eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Why do i never get sales on the weekends?

On my main selling ID i sell toys.  I have about 360 listings.  I am TRS, 100% pos. feedback.  For a long time now business has been poor.

After doing some analysis i have found that  i get 8% of my sales on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I get 92% of my sales on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  This has been going on for over 2 years now.

Further, most of the sales i get from Thursday-Sunday are from watchers.  I know this because i started asking people who bought how they found my listing.

So why is this?  My personal feeling is that Ebay is blocking my listings (and those of other toy sellers) from being seen, or at least making them very hard to see, from Thursday to Sunday to give TRU better exposure and have less competition during the prime selling days.

Otherwise i am at a loss as to why this is happening...it's been going on far too long to just be coincidence.

Please use plain text.
darkburst58
Community Member

Re: Why do i never get sales on the weekends?

in reply to fort2b
More likely people are busy on the weekend, and not browsing the net. Early weekdays people are home after work and school, and more likely to shop the net. Many businesses experience the same pattern, such as restaurants, barbers, and cinema.
Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to fort2b

So why is this?  My personal feeling is that Ebay is blocking my listings

Conspiracy theory, anyone?

Please use plain text.
hatter-2-reducks
Community Member

in reply to fort2b

fort2b wrote:

On my main selling ID i sell toys.  I have about 360 listings.  I am TRS, 100% pos. feedback.  For a long time now business has been poor.

After doing some analysis i have found that  i get 8% of my sales on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I get 92% of my sales on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  This has been going on for over 2 years now.

Further, most of the sales i get from Thursday-Sunday are from watchers.  I know this because i started asking people who bought how they found my listing.

So why is this?  My personal feeling is that Ebay is blocking my listings (and those of other toy sellers) from being seen, or at least making them very hard to see, from Thursday to Sunday to give TRU better exposure and have less competition during the prime selling days.

Otherwise i am at a loss as to why this is happening...it's been going on far too long to just be coincidence.

So, you're the one!  :smileywink:

The great majority of my sales are Th-Sun.  M-W are minimal, at best.  I sell Pottery Glass and Collectibles.

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.

--Peter Drucker
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fort2b

Some people only have internet at work. That is why i like doing 7 day auctions. Get the ones that only get online at work or the ones that only get online on weekends.

others might be parents buying a toy for their kids birthday or whatever occasion  while they are in school or at least without them being there so they will have a surprise on that special occasion. 

Thursday used to be my busiest night but then they changed maintenance to Thursday and now it is my worst night. I heard complaints about not being able to bid sometimes that night so if i list anything on Thursday now, it is a 30 day fixed price listing

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

in reply to hatter-2-reducks

I ran some numbers for part of August.

SalesPartofAug013.jpg

Other than slower Tuesdays, it appears to vary from week to week.

Please use plain text.
daveroo
Community Member

in reply to fuzzface50

I don't list things to end on weekend, especially this time of the year.

Here's my thinking:

-- sniping is MUCH more prominent now AND if a bidder isn't at his computer AND doesn't use sniping s/w then sniping isn't possible.

Why wouldn't a person be at his computer on the weekend?

-- Friday is party night for many

-- Saturday is recovery day / party day for those that missed Friday / sports day

-- Sunday is sports day

In other words people have things to do that they consider more important.

Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to daveroo

i would say that sunday is by far my best sales day lately.  i guess its a lazy day that people like to look online for stuff

brian

Please use plain text.
darkofthematinee
Community Member

in reply to darkburst58

The majority of my sales ARE on the weekend.  I run auctions with BIN ... about a dozen listings at a time.  I start my listings on Sunday afternoon.  I usually get at least one BIN within a couple of hours and another by the time I wake up on Monday.  Then maybe a couple more by Wednesday.  Thurs-Sat I collect a few more bids and watchers.  Sunday afternoon rolls around and the auctions close out.  Maybe one or two items left unsold.  Those get relisted and usually sell the second time around   

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fort2b

fort2b wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP you are absolutely right, I too no longer get any sales on the weekend.   I believe EBay is blocking out listings during certain time periods.  Recently, I sold things to people in California.  This clustering of sales tells me, my listings are not being shown on weekends, and largely on weekdays and in certain regions,  This is so frustrating.   I will now gear my listings to end on weekdays, perhaps Thursdays.    Look at the states where you do get sales and when. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to fort2b

Most of my sales are on the weekends.  I do 50 free listings BIN for 30 days. Last weekend I was scrambling Sunday night as 4 items sold one after another....  Nothing yet this weekend though.  Maybe I will get another rush tonite, hopefully...

Please use plain text.
daveroo
Community Member

in reply to suzycue8

suzycue8 wrote:

Nothing yet this weekend though.  Maybe I will get another rush tonite, hopefully...

Could easily happen.

Sniping seems to be very popular right now.

Lots of last second bidding.

Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Please use plain text.
retrose1
Community Member

in reply to daveroo

daveroo wrote:

I don't list things to end on weekend, especially this time of the year.

Here's my thinking:

-- sniping is MUCH more prominent now AND if a bidder isn't at his computer AND doesn't use sniping s/w then sniping isn't possible.

Why wouldn't a person be at his computer on the weekend?

-- Friday is party night for many

-- Saturday is recovery day / party day for those that missed Friday / sports day

-- Sunday is sports day

In other words people have things to do that they consider more important.

Since ebay has admitted that they are blocking listings, and myself and many friends have seen the regional sales phenomonen happening on a consistant basis, I believe the conspiracy theories in many cases are facts.

But what day your sales come in will often depend on what you sell.  Car part sellers will have their best sales on the weekend, because thats when guys are working on their cars is the most obvious example of the reasons.

I have said for years that i never end a listing on a Friday or a Saturday.  but for slightly different reasons that the above quote.  Friday is party night, but Saturday is family day and Sunday is church. 

I end listings on Sunday night because that's when a lot of people get on the computer for the first time in a few days.

Also to take into consideration....payday.  If you are selling necessities then your items will get bought on payday or when they are needed.  if you are selling nonessentials, luxuries or collectables, then they will get bought when the necessities have been paid for and the person can see that they have money left to spend.

And then there is the buy items when they are convenient such as stay at home moms shopping for kids toys when the kids are taking a nap in the afternoon so they can't see mom getting what they want.  I would never expect to see toys selling in the US after midnight.

Please use plain text.
inuk_the_polar_bear
Community Member

in reply to retrose1
All FALSE.

62% of all eBay purchases are now bought over mobile devices. Only 38% are sitting in front of a PC.
Got Woodie®
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

mr.elmwood. I hate to burst your bubble - but ebay's own CEO has been quoted about eBay blocking listings.

Yet you repeatedly state that this is a conspiracy.

For the umpteenth time- here are Donahoe's exact words coming straight outta his mouth. No innuendo, no rumors, no conspiracy theory, nothing but a straight up quote:

"We're testing a new user to eBay that's never been to eBay should when they show up we only show them fixed price, brand new items from top-rated sellers. It's a more familiar commerce experience and then as they learn eBay they get the wider experience,..."

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2013/6/1370309167.html/

Rather than deny the existence of Cassini blocking listings, your time would probably be better spent in attempting to convince us unwashed masses that JD is justified.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to inuk_the_polar_bear

All FALSE.

62% of all eBay purchases are now bought over mobile devices. Only 38% are sitting in front of a PC.

Well no, with all due repect to you- it is not false.

You quoted this same statistic on the Survival Step thread and you were told by seller weaselemu that their mobile sales were less than 20%. They had found their numbers by going through their PayPal statements.

After I read through that thread I checked my statements as well.

For the past 90 days I am averaging about 22% of sales coming from mobile devices.

You are quoting a statistic that is site wide. It is different for each seller and their individual business.

So unfortunately, it is *your* information that is FALSE., for my business at least.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kaykeecorp

The percentage of mobile users will depend on the product. For example, people who love tech gadgets and who HAVE lots of mobile devices are probably more likely to buy more tech gadgets (and other items) WITH their mobile devices.

Now consider some of the more traditional products, that sell to people who are less likely to have and to use mobile devices.

Just because 62% of all sales are on mobile doesn't mean 62% of sales in EACH CATEGORY will be on mobile.

Either way, mobile use is increasing. It will soon be the norm.

Please use plain text.
darkofthematinee
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

For example, people who love tech gadgets and who HAVE lots of mobile devices are probably more likely to buy more tech gadgets (and other items) WITH their mobile devices.

I have a PC and laptop and have ebay apps on iphone and ipad.  I use the mobile devices for browsing and watching but mostly do my buying on the PC

Please use plain text.
thegolfingdolphin
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kaykeecorp

kaykeecorp wrote:

"We're testing a new user to eBay that's never been to eBay should when they show up we only show them fixed price, brand new items from top-rated sellers. It's a more familiar commerce experience and then as they learn eBay they get the wider experience,..."

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2013/6/1370309167.html/

I am not sure that quote is actually saying they are blocking, although I do see how one can come to that conclusion.  I am reading that for new unregistered buyers eBay will show a qualified subset of what is available for a search term.  It is saying much more about what it will show.  I am speaking about the quote only, not the article in the link.

In fact it is only talking about new users who have never been to eBay before which is even a smaller demographic than I mentioned.  I assume this is curated by IP addresses.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to thegolfingdolphin

I am not sure that quote is actually saying they are blocking, although I do see how one can come to that conclusion.  I am reading that for new unregistered buyers eBay will show a qualified subset of what is available for a search term.  It is saying much more about what it will show.  I am speaking about the quote only, not the article in the link.

In fact it is only talking about new users who have never been to eBay before which is even a smaller demographic than I mentioned.  I assume this is curated by IP addresses.

With all due respect to you- the quote is referring to Cassini.

Cassini is an alogorythm that uses artificial intelligence to determine what the listings the buyer should be shown to result in a sale.

That means a seller's listing that does not fit into the computer bot's programming of what a particular buyer will buy- it will not be shown to that buyer.

So the quote is most assuredly actually saying that eBay will block listings.

ie: when I search from my ID (logged in) on my PC I will get very different results than when I search, unlogged in, on my i-phone. Cassini is trying to figure out what I will buy both times. But because Cassini doesn't "know" me unlogged in and with Sprint's IP address- it will come up with very different results.

How's this for a crazy idea eBay? How's about *I* figure out what I buy?

pretty radical I know...

Please use plain text.