eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW


Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Reply
Community Member
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-01-2014

What kind of feedback do I leave?

On a different account.  I won something about a week ago.  Seller sent me an invoice that was a few dollars more than the shipping stated in the auction.  Seller explained that I lived further than they expected when they listed the item and the amount in the listing wasn't enough to cover shipping. I wasn't happy about it but I paid. 

 

When I got the package I looked up how much it cost to ship online. (was USPS and Paypal shipping so even with the postage not shown, all the info is on the label to lookup cost at USPS.com)  The original amount posted in the listing was over a dollar more than actual postage and all packageing was recycled.  So they lied about the postage not being enough and cheated a few extra dollars off me. 

 

So now I'm wondering, what should I write in the feedback?  I doubt if I'm allowed to call them a liar... even if they are.

Please use plain text.
Community Member
Posts: 464
Registered: ‎02-06-2014

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

You could say they are REALLY bad at math.

 

Please use plain text.
Community Member
Posts: 464
Registered: ‎02-06-2014

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to milorocks2014

How about 'cahaged shipping fees above and beyond those in listing'.

Please use plain text.
Community Member
Posts: 464
Registered: ‎02-06-2014

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

Let me try to thype that again 'charged shipping fees above and beyond those in listing'.

Sorry about that

Please use plain text.
tripp_the_lab
Community Member
Posts: 5,950
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

WHat you should do is ask the seller why they charged you more when the listing covered shipping. DO NOT mention feedback. Maybe they calculated shipping as retail and that's why they thought it would be more. Base your feedback on the response they give, If it is another lie they deserve a neg - "Charged more than listed price for shipping, listed price covered shipping with handling charge"

 

In the future if you pay before the seller sends an invoice they cannot change the ship charge.





Proud member of The Pack of Disgruntled Failures!

Neuter the people, not the dogs!
Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎09-12-2003

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

You are allowed to call them a liar, but that will devalue the feedback you leave.

 

Leave a comment that states the facts i.e, Seller increased s/h to 'cover postage' but made $XX in additonal profit instead.


* * * * * * Always act like you are wearing an invisible crown. * * * * * *
Please use plain text.
Community Member
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-01-2014

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!  In regards to the invoice, seller sent it right after the auction ended. Like 15 seconds after? (I just checked the time on the emails)  I got the invoice email before I even got the "Enjoy your" email from Ebay.

 

I'm guessing they didn't get as much as they wanted (was an auction item) and so added a few bucks onto shipping.   Something similar has actually happend to me about 5 times in the last 2 years.  I would win a 'free shipping' item and then the seller would send me an invoice with shipping added.   I don't understand why Ebay would allow that.  Sellers are allowed to offer several shipping options when they send out an invoice so Ebay should automatically include the "stated" shipping posted in the listing as one of the options.  (And of course not allow the seller to remove it.)

Please use plain text.
tonystark74
Community Member
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎03-02-2013

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to tripp_the_lab

miss_my_jake wrote:

Base your feedback on the response they give, If it is another lie they deserve a neg - "Charged more than listed price for shipping, listed price covered shipping with handling charge"


IMO, it doesn't matter why the seller did it, or whether the listed price covered the shipping.  The fact of the matter is that the seller is not allowed to charge more than what was stated in the listing.  They deserve less than positive feedback and 1 star for s/h charges, possibly a 1 for communication as well.

Please use plain text.
tonystark74
Community Member
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎03-02-2013

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

naru_lover wrote:

Sellers are allowed to offer several shipping options when they send out an invoice so Ebay should automatically include the "stated" shipping posted in the listing as one of the options.  (And of course not allow the seller to remove it.)


Now, that makes way too much sense.  Ebay will never go for it.

Please use plain text.
twinkling.smile
Community Member
Posts: 1,711
Registered: ‎06-27-2011

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to tonystark74

tonystark74 wrote:

IMO, it doesn't matter why the seller did it, or whether the listed price covered the shipping.  The fact of the matter is that the seller is not allowed to charge more than what was stated in the listing.  They deserve less than positive feedback and 1 star for s/h charges, possibly a 1 for communication as well.


2 x 1 star...

 

Are the circumstances not important, before you make such a decision?

Please use plain text.
freedom4me4ever
Community Member
Posts: 1,397
Registered: ‎03-03-2009

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to naru_lover

naru_lover wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!  In regards to the invoice, seller sent it right after the auction ended. Actually, this is common with small sellers who don't bother to purchase a scale and "guess" at the weight. 

 Like 15 seconds after? (I just checked the time on the emails)  I got the invoice email before I even got the "Enjoy your" email from Ebay.

 

I'm guessing they didn't get as much as they wanted (was an auction item) and so added a few bucks onto shipping.   Something similar has actually happend to me about 5 times in the last 2 years.  I would win a 'free shipping' item and then the seller would send me an invoice with shipping added.   I don't understand why Ebay would allow that.  Ebay doesn't allow that. However it's up to YOU to know policy and YOUR rights.

 

Sellers are allowed to offer several shipping options when they send out an invoice so Ebay should automatically include the "stated" shipping posted in the listing as one of the options.  (And of course not allow the seller to remove it.) EBay always show postage options -- lowest to highest. The lowest price is the default price. Buyers have to select the upgrade.

 

You NEVER have to pay more than the price stated in the auction.

 

If you want to absolutely crush and destroy the seller for something that you were complicit in, leave a 1 or 2 in shipping / handling charges.

 

If you want to give them a jolt that will hopefully motivate them to learn how to calculate postage more effectively, then leave a 3 or 4.

 

If you are pleased with the actual product, there is no reason to leave anything less than a 5. It was obviously worth a couple more bucks to you, or you wouldn't have paid the extra costs.


Please use plain text.
*itsnothoardingifitsnotjunk*
Community Member
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-23-2012

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to freedom4me4ever

Launching off of the prior post .... If I had that experience and it was a great item, exactly as described, and a good total price, I would give 5 stars but mention that the seller charged more for shipping than was advertised in the listing.  Other people bidding on that seller's items will get a heads up and can act appropriately if they bid and win.

Please use plain text.
freedom4me4ever
Community Member
Posts: 1,397
Registered: ‎03-03-2009

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to *itsnothoardingifitsnotjunk*

Could you please explain why you paid more than the listing price when that is a violation of eBay policy?

 

In fact, could you please explain why you have done so more than once?

 

I'm ever so curious.

Please use plain text.
Community Member
Posts: 7,490
Registered: ‎07-17-2011

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to freedom4me4ever

freedom4me4ever wrote:

Could you please explain why you paid more than the listing price when that is a violation of eBay policy?

 

In fact, could you please explain why you have done so more than once?

 

I'm ever so curious.


The violation is in the asking.  Not in the paying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex Policy Monkey now just another addlepated poster who can't find or explain a gosh darned thing
Please use plain text.
freedom4me4ever
Community Member
Posts: 1,397
Registered: ‎03-03-2009

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

[ Edited ]
in reply to city*satins

city*satins wrote:

freedom4me4ever wrote:

Could you please explain why you paid more than the listing price when that is a violation of eBay policy?

 

In fact, could you please explain why you have done so more than once?

 

I'm ever so curious.


The violation is in the asking.  Not in the paying.


Yes...I know. You are absolutely correct!  And it's wrong, and a knowledgeable seller would never do this.

 

But...A knowledgeable buyer would never agree to paying more than the listing price.

 

OP has admitted to overpaying numerous times.

 

So...my question to the OP is...Why?

Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member
Posts: 4,219
Registered: ‎09-12-2003

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to freedom4me4ever

freedom4me4ever wrote:
OP has admitted to overpaying numerous times.

So...my question to the OP is...Why?


My guess would be s/he wanted the item.

And is it really any of our business? 


* * * * * * Always act like you are wearing an invisible crown. * * * * * *
Please use plain text.
tonystark74
Community Member
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎03-02-2013

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to freedom4me4ever

The other reason would be to avoid getting an unpaid item strike.

Please use plain text.
freedom4me4ever
Community Member
Posts: 1,397
Registered: ‎03-03-2009

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to stinky*felix

stinky*felix wrote:

freedom4me4ever wrote:
OP has admitted to overpaying numerous times.

So...my question to the OP is...Why?


My guess would be s/he wanted the item.

And is it really any of our business? 


Yes it is. Because the OP came to a public forum asking what kind of feedback to leave.

Yes. Because the OP has an admitted history of dealing with sellers who charge more than the stated price.

 

Yes. Because the OP suddenly seems befuddled as to what feedback to leave.

 

Yes. Because the OP doesn't know policy, and / or doesn't care to hold the seller accountable.

 

Yes. Because the buyer wouldn't get an UNPAID ITEM STRIKE as the seller attempted to alter the terms of the sale after the fact.

 

So my questions stands.

 

OP, why do you continue to overpay the invoices for the items that you buy, when policy states that the seller cannot charge you more than is stated in the listing?

 

 

Please use plain text.
Community Member
Posts: 3,762
Registered: ‎12-21-2013

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

[ Edited ]
in reply to freedom4me4ever

I think I do get your point. The seller committed a violation, but OP (who should also know better) became complicit in the said violation when he paid more than what was stated in the listing. This has happened to him 5 times, so if he didn't bother to know his rights as a buyer, this is what happens....

 

It's just like when buyers make offers on a fixed price listing. It's a policy violation; but if I accepted it, I'd be complicit in violating policy.

Please use plain text.
tonystark74
Community Member
Posts: 2,179
Registered: ‎03-02-2013

Re: What kind of feedback do I leave?

in reply to freedom4me4ever

freedom4me4ever wrote:
Yes. Because the buyer wouldn't get an UNPAID ITEM STRIKE as the seller attempted to alter the terms of the sale after the fact.

Buyers have come to the boards posting about this.  The seller CAN still open an unpaid item case after increasing the shipping price on the invoice.

Please use plain text.