eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

What Are The Real Results of the Seller Purges?

First of all, they don't make ebay a better or safer place because too many good sellers get thrown out with those that may or may not be actually all that bad. Keep in mind many of those purged on August 6 were only out of compliance by one DSR star. Secondly, they are usually done abruptly and unexpectedly, basically blindsiding"  the seller who gets suspended. Thirdly, they create a climate of fear among many small sellers "am I next?" Fourth, a climate of "what criteria is ebay using" is created so evertbody is wondering how and why ebay does the culls. Fifth, adverse publicity is created outside of ebay by those purged telling friends, family, coworkers, Ina writing articles about the purges, people blogging about the purges, YouTube videos about the purges, etc. None of that is beneficial to ebay. That being the case, it clearly means that those purged not only do not matter to ebay, but ebay is also not worried about the "publicity fallout" from the purges. That's the height of corporate hubris and arrogance.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: What Are The Real Results of the Seller Purges?

in reply to gideon13

Greater net profit from the same revenue stream.

Renegade SOLIDARNOSC
Please use plain text.
due2cents
Community Member

in reply to gramophone-georg
what media coverage

a blog a few read
these boards where 76 views mean the same 10people read it a few times..

**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

I've been selling here since '05, built up a 2nd id this year, and neither id is in danger of being purged, according to the stats seen on others who have bit the dust.

However, my business plan going forward has changed dramatically, as I'm not willing to participate in an environment as dangerous as this. I will not be acquiring or offering holiday merchandise that has been a VERY consistent source of sales for some years.

I am devoting the majority of every day to diversifying into another product area that is suitable for several venues, and drawing down (not replenishing) the product line that confines me to this venue.

DH says that the best thing in his work experience was losing a particular job - that led him to a wonderfully successful career with his own business.

I'm looking at the purges as offering me the same opportunity for change.

Making lemonade out of lemons is a great habit of thinking.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

That's the height of corporate hubris and arrogance

No. I disagree with this.

Just because eBay's motivations are not apparent to us does not mean that they are not good for the company.

These culls are satisfying some widespread corporate goal- no matter what the fallout and collateral damage of that fallout is.

these aren't mistakes- they are systematically banning sellers that only very recently would have been considered very good sellers.

While they are absolutely throwing sellers under the bus- and setting up their ebay cheerleaders to defend their actions by saying these banned sellers will make ebay a safer place- there is something else going on here.

What that something is? dunno-yet

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

kaykee you were a finishing nail for a couple bucks in a sellers coffin you can't really be a part of the solution if you're also part of the problem...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bubbleman2010

kaykee you were a finishing nail for a couple bucks in a sellers coffin you can't really be a part of the solution if you're also part of the problem...

sorry bubbleman- haven't had my coffee- say what now?

talk to me like I'm a little kid that has to go the bathroom

:womanlol:

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

Look at the feedback you left May 4th. A simple review of the sellers feedback they had a flood and a family illness,but the folks buying stuff for a few bucks during that timeframe that all got refunded wanted a addition pound of flesh so left negs and pounded those DSRs..

Please use plain text.
Community Member

oh i see.

I won an auction. The seller refused to ship.

I sent her 2-3 emails asking her what the problem was as I paid immediately. She never responded to my emails ever- just refused to ship. Would not refund. I had to open a case to get the $$$.

When I left FB she answered back on the FB form that she had a flood.

If she had ever sent me an email with that information of course I would not have negged.

I am a seller and have had my share of disasters, mainly personal-so I would completely understand if a seller also had an issue.

If it was just that she wouldn't ship I wouldn't have left her neg either-it was because she wouldn't refund me for 2 weeks.

Check my toolhaus- I rarely leave negs- I know the power they have-but Sorry no one gets to steal my $$$-

I stand behind that feedback.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

A simple review of the sellers feedback they had a flood and a family illness

yet from the time I won the auction until I left the neg that seller was continuing to sell and was receiving positive FB for her sales.

I did review her whole account before I negged.

I assumed she did not ship because she didn't get the price she wanted. Again- i would not have left a neg for that- but how are you going to take buyer's $$$ and only selectievly ship to certain ones while keeping all of it?

You're not.

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

No one is allowed to steal any money from a buyer ebay/paypal has you covered 100%. Whatever the problem might be you spend 3 mins. of your life resolving it and how you choose to spend that 3 mins. of your life might have a direct result in how another person might have to spend the rest of their life...

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

kaykee if ebay were enforcing it's rules the majority of that sellers negs and low DSRs would be removed,but like everything else they very seldom enforce what they say..

Please use plain text.
jake-square-deals
Community Member

in reply to kaykeecorp

Fallout seems to be some serious credibility issues

If we are told on SC to reference the ECB story as true ( that the WHOLE story is NOT just about DSR ) But then on threads like this the DSR is reported as the WHOLE story in the restrictions.

Then theres some serious credibility issues in the telling of the story...Is the ECB story constantly referred-to defective?

Or is it not true that DSR is the entire story?

WHY is there such contradiction?

.........................................................................................................................................

“Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.”

–George Washington Carver

Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

To answer Gideon, without reading his dissertation, it removes the needy who tie up the phone lines for hours, engaging the 12¢ an hour people in the Philippines and India. Cost control ya know. It removes the 20% using up 80% of the resources.
Please use plain text.
jake-square-deals
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

Confusing is being asked to draw a "real result" conclusion when >major players< in this saga cant agree on probably the most important FACT that would lead to a reasonable acertation

either DSR is the sole cause ( as ONLY ) reported on SC....OR the ECB story in reguards to stating that DSR IS NOT the sole cause is correct

Whos correct? As that would vastly lead to different conclusions

.........................................................................................................................................

“Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.”

–George Washington Carver

Please use plain text.
Community Member

kaykee if ebay were enforcing it's rules the majority of that sellers negs and low DSRs would be removed,but like everything else they very seldom enforce what they say..

bubbleman- IMHO she was lying. When she sent me a cancellation request she said the dog chewed the book, never responded to any emails, never refunded my $$$, then claims it was all because of a flood to cast me in a bad light as a buyer in the FB.

I have left 2 negs and 1 neutral since 2007- her neg was a carefully considered decision.

Please use plain text.
volvo351
Community Member

in reply to gideon13

The seller purges are BS.  I have been reporting one seller who engaged in flagrant fee evasion and category spamming for over a year.  What has eBay done about this low-life?  Well, obviously, nothing.  I just gave up because talking to the Peggy's is waste of time.  So, why is he still on the board when 15K others are History? Answer:  eBay is clueless.  The self-absorbed CEO is so powerdrunk that he'll destroy the businesses of thousands of individuals on a mere whim.  It's just less "noise" for him, right?

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to volvo351

kaykee what did you loose in the transaction?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jake-square-deals

Fallout seems to be some serious credibility issues

No you have misinterpreted what I wrote.

I meant fallout to represent over 15000 sellers banned. That 15000 number is credible as ebay admitted that's how many were banned.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

kaykee what did you loose in the transaction?

Well evidently, 6 months later - my reputation.

Please use plain text.