eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

jsrusco
Community Member

USPS lost my package

While I am waiting for USPS to get back to me about the whereabouts of the package I shipped, do I have to give the buyer a refund or can I wait until USPS gets back to me?

Please use plain text.
jsrusco
Community Member

Re: USPS lost my package

in reply to jsrusco

He is not demanding a refund or anything. I just want to know what would be the proper etiquette? I've never had this situation before.

Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

in reply to jsrusco

Wait as long as you can..................has a case been opened? If so, you will need to respond to that in the resolution center.

I would recommend that you immediately go to USPS Track & Confirm and enter your email addy and request that all updates be sent to you via email if you haven't done so already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything above & below this line is opinion
Please use plain text.
jsrusco
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to ywhat4now

The buyer happens to be a regular buyer of mine and I feel so bad because I have never had an issue until now. I toldhim I was contacting USPS in my last message this morning and he just said thanks and to let him know what happens. He has not opened a case yet. 

So you are saying I should wait as long as I can? I presume by saying "as long as you can" you mean 45 days (buyer protection) right?

ywhat4now wrote:

I would recommend that you immediately go to USPS Track & Confirm and enter your email addy and request that all updates be sent to you via email if you haven't done so already.

Done.

Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to jsrusco
How do you know the parcel is lost. Has USPS said that? How long has it been since mailing.
Please use plain text.
jsrusco
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

mr.elmwood wrote:
How do you know the parcel is lost. Has USPS said that? How long has it been since mailing.

I do not know for sure that it is lost, I just assume that it is because it has never taken this long and I have never had this issue. Also, tracking hasn't been updated at all for the item, which tells me that the package hasn't even been scanned by them. I dropped the package in the USPS dropbox on 11/7/13 and it is supposed to be 2-day priority.

Please use plain text.
ywhat4now
Community Member

in reply to jsrusco

jsrusco wrote:

So you are saying I should wait as long as I can? I presume by saying "as long as you can" you mean 45 days (buyer protection) right?

Not at all.........I should have said as long as is feasible................USPS says a pkg isn't lost until 21 days.......that's too long to expect a buyer to wait IMO.

Give the email updates a few days to shake the pkg loose (it's usually pretty effective)...........if that doesn't work, you may want to report the pkg as lost/stolen to the postalinspectors.gov site (if it's an expensive or important item).

Just assure your buyer that you will refund if the pkg doesn't show up and ask for a bit more time to track it down.................i have, on occasion, refunded a buyer w/ the provision that they can re-pay me when the pkg finally shows up...............I haven't been burned yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything above & below this line is opinion
Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to jsrusco
So, it is not lost, it is just late?
Please use plain text.
jsrusco
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

mr.elmwood wrote:
So, it is not lost, it is just late?

I'm not sure. It's one of the two. Lost or late.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jsrusco

I once had a p[ackage go from PA to NY, few hundred miles, went through sort facility in NJ and stuck. Took 17 days. Every package I have had trouble with has gone through that sorting facility. I can get a package delivered to TX or California in 2 days but other places a lot closer can take forever.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buying4fun13

Mine is missing since 10/26 and no updates

and this was my best sale this season

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pembroke22

Don't call  1 800 ask usp

it is impossible to talk to a person

first you get automated messages..I said costumer service over and over

and got finally connected.

After waiting 30 minutes to get connected to a rep, again I had to listen to the same messages

over and over , I did hang up, I was on a cell and it cost me to many minutes.

If we would provide such a poor service, we would be out of business.

This is how USPS handles problem??

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pembroke22

pembroke22 wrote:

Don't call  1 800 ask usp

it is impossible to talk to a person

first you get automated messages..I said costumer service over and over

and got finally connected.

After waiting 30 minutes to get connected to a rep, again I had to listen to the same messages

over and over , I did hang up, I was on a cell and it cost me to many minutes.

If we would provide such a poor service, we would be out of business.

This is how USPS handles problem??

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1184/qjvs.jpg

First east. Then west. Next east again. Go back west. And today, north.

But we know exactly where it is. So it's not lost. Although...if it were a person, with concern, we would ask: "Are you lost?"

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jsrusco

You can also just pop into your own post office and they can look  it up and give you the same info you would get by calling USPS.  Since it is priority it is insured up to $50.00 so you hopefully won't be out anything if it is deemed to actually be lost.  They insure the item up to $50.00 plus they refund your postage on top of that.

Please use plain text.
beverlyhills.supply.outlet
Community Member

in reply to pembroke22

I had a parcel post missing in the old days; could track it to a usps location in Richmond, Ca. but no progress and no trace found it.. I am sure it's still sitting somewhere in USPS storage. They like to return some goods after 50 years.

never had priority /1st class stuff missing yet

Please use plain text.