eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

I shipped out an item to a buyer and the USPS tracking number shows it was delivered to his zip code on 6/3/2013, however tonight the buyer messaged me saying he didn't receive the item yet.

The item was for $290 and I didn't do delivery confirmation and request signature, so I guess this means I get screwed and learned my lesson to always do DC for expensive items?

What annoys me is you never know if it's just a scam and the buyer is trying to get a refund while keeping the item or legitimately didn't get it.

Address was to an apartment number. I told him to ask around to his neighbors, is there anything else that he can do? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
star-watcher-mlp
Community Member

Re: Status : Delivered, but buyer says he didn't get the item?

in reply to mpf189

That USPS tracking number is Delivery Confirmation.  If he files a claim through eBay, you still may be off the hook due to eBay's Signature Confirmation threshold being $750.  If he files through PayPal, then you are screwed.

However, even if you lose the battle with eBay/PayPal, you could still file mail fraud against him through the USPS and/or the police.  When you get a case number, you can forward that to the Better Business bureau in San Jose, and you may get a surprise reimbursement from eBay.  They are on the BBB board there, and will go to great lengths to maintain their good standing.

Key is, eBay and PayPal are not your only source of protection.

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Call his PO and speak with the postmaster & carrier, then file the theft/ lost mail report online.

You can't win an ebay case without tracking.  (sig confirmation for ebay is now $750 inc postage pd, PP is still at $250. )

It is still fraud and there are things you can do in the real world if he did actually receive it.

Or someone in the building stole it.

Never send anything without tracking, it is free online, pretty cheap insurance.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

I did get tracking, well USPS packages automatically come with tracking now, it shows the package was delivered yesterday.

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Oh excuse me sorry I missed the tracking that you have, I wasn't paying attention!

You are covered as far as ebay goes, so  just hope that the case is opened on ebay and add the tracking call ebay to close or escalate.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Ok thanks, why does Paypal have a different policy? Aren't they owned by eBay?

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Also go ahead and file the theft lost mail online report and I would call his PO as well.

I would tread lightly.

The problem with the new limits is between PP and ebay differences.

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

May 6th post seller protection :

"How sellers may be protected from losing a case.

For eligible item not received cases, sellers are protected from losing a case if they ship within their stated handling time and provide
tracking information before the buyer or seller asks eBay to make a final decision.
 To be protected, the tracking information will need to show proof of delivery from a shipping company that clearly displays:

the delivery status of the item as "delivered"

the date of delivery (which reflects the seller shipped within stated handling time)

the recipient's address, displaying at least the city/state or ZIP code (or the equivalent)
of the address listed in either the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction Details page, and

for items $750 (or local currency equivalent) or more (based on the total amount of the sale,
 including the cost of the item, shipping charged by the seller, any other fees seller may charge,
and any sales tax), proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery is required
where such signature confirmation service is available from at least one shipping company."

Use the $250.00 limit for signature since that is PPs criteria

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Many, many , many years ago back in the stone age when ebay was still new I purchased an item for about 65.00 dollars. It was a Collectable for a good friend of mine. This was before the requirement for PayPal and both buyer and seller protections. 

This seller was an idiot (and I use that term to keep it clean). A lot of excuses and time wasted. I filed mail fraud charges and won. it might take some time but certainly file.

Kirk, I want to tell you of the Klingon proverb that say "Revenge is a dish best served cold"...... It is very cold in space.
Please use plain text.
lost-lizard-trading-company
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

I also had a case opened against me last night for "where's my item" on an item that showed delivery--quite timely at that considering a payment made on Saturday night before holiday Monday.  Even though I replied promptly, the buyer neutraled me last night.  

If the buyer opens a case reply promptly and professionally clearly stating evidence because you are speaking not only to the buyer but eBay also.  Your tracking information will support you as others have said.  Look up and call the servicing post office at the buyer's end.  They will most likely be able to get in touch with the carrier for the address.  The carriers supply valuable information.  Use the USPS 1-800 # to file a missing article report.  

My experience with eBay's new buyer-seller system was positive.  The carrier remembered who he handed the package to.  It was a neighbor who left it on the buyer's porch this morning.  eBay's system provided an opportunity to ask the buyer to revise feedback, which he did.  

Also, for high dollar items get signature confirmation.  You might never need it, then again. . .it's peace of mind.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Thanks a lot for the information, it is relieving to hear. I automatically assumed as the seller that I was screwed, but also figured there would need to be some way to counter this or else there would be tons of fraud going on. Side Note : How do apartment buildings usually handle the mail?

Please use plain text.
star-watcher-mlp
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

figured there would need to be some way to counter this or else there would be tons of fraud going on.

As you have learned in this thread, there are ways to protect yourself.  However, I do not believe that this is the reason there is not "tons" of fraud going on.  The reason that there is not tons of fraud going on is because despite what the powers that be here would frighten you into believing, most people actually do have a conscience, know right from wrong, are more inclined to do right than wrong, and deep down understand the concept of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" as well as "If it harm none, do as you will", and "Be excellent to each other."

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

However, even if you lose the battle with eBay/PayPal, you could still file mail fraud against him through the USPS and/or the police. 

I find this odd. Surely all you can do is register a suspicion? It does not take much of an imagination to think of multiple reasons why the OP could have no goods while they show as delivered. I do wonder if anybody expects the Police to turn up and cuff him?

Secondly, just imagining for one second that the item was not delivered to the buyer, how would signature confirmation help if it were not the signature of the buyer? I genuinely don't know, but if the answer is that any delivery confirmation with a signature means the OP does not have to refund, what does this say about buyer protection?

I'm afraid I just do NOT get the certainty displayed here by some that this buyer is an obvious scammer and a report of such should get him thrown in the slammer.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

In fact, surely all you can do is report an item claimed as delivered that appears to be missing. Surely it is up to others to decide if any fraud was involved!

Please use plain text.
star-watcher-mlp
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

However, even if you lose the battle with eBay/PayPal, you could still file mail fraud against him through the USPS and/or the police. 

I find this odd. Surely all you can do is register a suspicion? It does not take much of an imagination to think of multiple reasons why the OP could have no goods while they show as delivered. I do wonder if anybody expects the Police to turn up and cuff him?

The purpose of filing fraud and theft claims is not to get the buyer busted.  It is simply to have some official documentation to forward to the BBB.  I believe that is what prompts eBay to act on your behalf.

It will also put the buyer on the USPS radar so that if they start getting more claims of non delivery or missing packages, they may be more apt to take a harder look at them as a possible source of a problem.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Well, buyer is still saying he didn't receive the package, claims to have checked with neighbors and can't find it. I called the USPS office by him and they weren't any help. Told him to go to the post office in person this morning, but he said he will go tomorrow. Doubt it will help, at this point the package is long gone or he is simply scamming me since I didn't use signature confirmation and the package was over $250 which means I will lose that money according to Paypal rules. Looks like $290 just went down the drain, I will always remember to use signature confirmation from now on for items over $250.

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

File the lost theft of mail report online, and hope that he opens any case via ebay.

Lay low and only answer briefly to any messages he sends.

I don't really understand why the buyer hasn't contacted his PO if truly stolen? I sure would be.

For that much of a loss I would not just drop it at the sellers feet to solve the puzzle, would you?

If PP case is filed come back here to this thread.

He will either file a case or go away when you let him know that you have filed the theft of mail report. Don't bluff, actually do it now that you have already called his PO.

Please use plain text.