eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

dr.fp
Community Member

Something is Wrong with USPS this Month, Priority mail is not working

I have called the Post office on the 16th and they said it would be delivered today, that Priority mail ( it is being delivered in Memphis) takes 5 to 7 days.......WTH? I thought it was 3 days Guaranteed! Why ship Priority if it cannot get there any sooner than ground?

Is there some kind of work slow down going on? Priority used to be 2 to 3 days, in fact I have used priority mail USPS the past 3 years with little headaches and now this past month this is the third time I have had a package take more than 3 days. WTH is going on?

Current example:

2 Day Priority Package:

Priority Mail 2-Day™

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

September 17, 2013, 5:44 pm

KANSAS CITY, MO 64121 

Scheduled Delivery Day:
September 16, 2013

$100 insurance included

USPS Tracking™

Electronic Shipping Info Received

September 16, 2013

Arrive USPS Sort Facility

September 16, 2013, 1:24 am

KANSAS CITY, MO 64121 

Depart USPS Sort Facility

September 15, 2013, 11:13 pm

KANSAS CITY, KS 66106 

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

September 15, 2013, 8:19 pm

KANSAS CITY, KS 66106 

Depart USPS Sort Facility

September 15, 2013

COPPELL, TX 75099 

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility

September 14, 2013, 7:37 pm

COPPELL, TX 75099 

Dispatched to Sort Facility

September 14, 2013, 4:36 pm

FORT WORTH, TX 76161 

Acceptance

September 14, 2013, 3:14 pm

FORT WORTH, TX 76161 

Please use plain text.
whartondoc
Community Member

Re: Something is Wrong with USPS this Month, Priority mail is not working

in reply to dr.fp

From the USPS website:

"5) Is the scheduled delivery day guaranteed?
Priority Mail remains a non-guaranteed service. The Postal Service does not provide a money-back guarantee if items sent via Priority Mail fail to arrive by the scheduled delivery date. However, Priority Mail Express continues to provide a money-back guarantee* service for most domestic destinations***."

https://www.usps.com/making-priority-mail-better.htm#PM5

Santa Claws is coming to town...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to whartondoc

IT was probably put on the wrong truck.  From time to time, they will screw up.  Email the buyer and let them know what is going on.  Remind them that it's not your fault what the postal service does.  Ask them to please be patient and to NOT penalize you for this delay.Explain to them why it says ESTIMATED DELIVERY date.

Priority mail is NOT guaranteed.  At the post office, it does say that delivery depends on several factors.   They don't use the word estimated. The factors are the distance between the 2 addresses, weather, the time that the sender ships, etc.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mandaradoni

Message for Ebay and I know that they read this site...  GET RID OF THE ESTIMATED DATES!!!!

Please use plain text.
dr.fp
Community Member

in reply to mandaradoni
problem is two fold, People stay home and wait and wait based on these dates. EBAY will give you a strike for shipping problems, yes I talked to them, they said they go by the USPS estimate to when your item will arrive. I'm done with buying shipping through Pay Pal or Ebay for Auctions because they use this against the seller if USPS messes up like this, and it has happened to me as a seller and buyer 3 times this month now. I will buy Priority on line at the USPS site so Ebay and my Buyers have no idea through Ebay, I will email the buyer the tracking myself................. trust me you will get stung if USPS or other you buy through Ebay messes up an estimated delivery time and your buyer hits the dispute button. I just went through it, it happens several times in a month and Ebay may put your account on restriction.......Don't test it
Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

in reply to dr.fp

Another problem with those eBay shipping estimates is that some buyers think we are setting them.

I had an unhappy buyer ask me why I "told her" it would be there by such-and-such (I had no idea what she was talking about since we hadn't communicated and I had it at the post office by 9:00 am, the morning after the evening she ordered. You can't ship faster than that).

I finally figured out she was going by the eBay estimated date. I specify 2-day handling even though I ship within hours 99% of the time (today I packed and shipped all my morning orders by 4:15 pm) and it was a long weekend. The eBay estimate apparently didn't consider the 2-day handling or the long weekend.

I don't mind eBay giving a reasonable estimate, but sometimes the estimates don't make any sense.

Please use plain text.
sarafinastyle
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

I actually had the opposite for me.  I shipped something on Saturday (actually missed the mail drop off time, but wasn't worried since Monday was within my limits) and the item was not only picked up that day, but shipped over the weekend (yes on Sunday!) and delivered Monday.  CA to MO in one shipping day.  I was amazed.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sarafinastyle

I shipped a package on September 5, going from California to Washington state. I believe it is parcel post, I was returning an item and used a prepaid label. The tracking shows it was accepted by my post office on 9/5 and nothing after that. Does it usually take more than 12 days for parcel post to go from CA to WA? I recently sent something back to the same retailer and it did not take this long.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

in reply to missjen316

I ship many many items to CA (I'm in WA) and it usually takes two or three days by First Class Parcel and about four days (occasionally five) by Parcel Post (which I rarely use any more).

MissJen, two weeks is too long. Something's not right.

Do you mind me asking how much it weighed? Was it too heavy for First Class Parcel (over 13 ounces)?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

I'm not sure how much it weighed, the shipping label was provided by the retailer (Lululemon). It was a pair of running crops, extremely light weight running shorts and a luon scarf, so over 13 ounces but definitely not more than a few pounds. Something is up with the tracking because it says my PO accepted it on 9/5 but I know that is not right because I was given the label on 8/23 and I had to have it in the mail within 7 days and I know I sent it before labor day, I believe I took it to the PO on Friday 8/30. This is what the tracking says now: any idea what it means?

Picked Up and Processed by Agent

September 18, 2013

Return Service

Acceptance

September 5, 2013, 1:40 pm

SALINAS, CA 93901 

Picked Up by Shipping Agent

September 5, 2013, 1:37 pm

SALINAS, CA 93901 

Available for Pickup

September 5, 2013, 1:37 pm

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mandaradoni

yes please get rid of estimated dates! Why when the PO says 2-5 days does eBay tell your customers it will be there in 3! I ship next day so that gives the PO 2 days to deliver it! Now two weeks ago PO plays some game called "guess which sorting facility your package will go to" usually it goes to SF-A, and it takes 2-3 days to almost anywhere in the U.S.. Then 2 weeks ago they start sending SOME to B and C.... but SOME that go to B end up going back to A which takes about the same time as those who went to C.... 5 days. with the 1 day handling thats six days, you buy it on a saturday night thats 7. I had messages wanting to know where their items are. Luckily two where regular customers who KNOW my stuff comes in 2 days... but I hope I don't get dinged for this. Just be easier if eBay didn't promise their items in the least amount of time the PO says it will take to deliver it. We have no control over it!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ednbarb5

The way it was explained to me was that UPS or Fed - Ex actually moves a lot of the priority mail. A mid-level local postal manager (married to someone who works in my office) told me that on priority packages, they will be put into a shipping bin somewhere and it may take a day or two until the bin is filled up and then it is shipped. On the whole, priority mail works pretty well, although I have collected insurance on two packages which fell off the radar while in PO custody in California.

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

in reply to babalu20

"The way it was explained to me was that UPS or Fed - Ex actually moves a lot of the priority mail."

I knew that USPS moved a lot of UPS and FedEx mail to rural areas (and they have two bins at our post office behind the counter labeled UPS and FedEx), but I didn't know it also worked the other way around. If that's true, perhaps they have some kind of reciprocal agreement... USPS gets the mail out to the not-profitable rural customers and FedEx and UPS provide space on their planes if there is any.

I don't know if that's actually what happens, but it would make sense that the courier companies might give something back to USPS in exchange for rural delivery.

Please use plain text.
sarafinastyle
Community Member

in reply to sarafinastyle

As a followup, my buyer who got her item in 1 day bought two more items.  The one that shipped Monday delivered yesterday (3 days) and the one that shipped  Wednesday arrived today (2 days).  They are all over the map right now.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

I have a buyer asking for refund because of this issue.  The USPS took almost a week to actually process the package and she claims she's left town already and will not be available to receive the package and is therefore no use to her at this point.

Am I responsible for refunding her?

Please use plain text.