eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Selling an Expensive Item to a Brand New eBayer?

Hello, I recently sold an expensive phone (over $400) tonight to an eBay user registered yesterday. Due to the cell phone market having a very high scam rate, it always make me a bit nervous. His eBay username is a generic American name, and then the name on paypal is a different name, and the paypal is unverefied. I checked out the address and it seems to be the location of a chinese restaurant (paypal name isn't chinese either, and I looked it up and it's not the owner, but yes possible he works there)

I think I will contact the buyer first and have him confirm the address is correct, but what else can I do to protect myself from a scam other than signature confirmation?

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

Re: Selling an Expensive Item to a Brand New eBayer?

in reply to mpf189

I would use insured FedEx with what ever they call the signature that must be the person on the address.

I think it's direct signature required.

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to black*max

black*max wrote:

I would use insured FedEx with what ever they call the signature that must be the person on the address.

I think it's direct signature required.

They will need a picture ID

Sorry thats wrong Adult Signature Required is where the person must have a photo ID, but it can still be anyone at the delivery address.

Please use plain text.
antiques-n-oddities
Community Member

in reply to black*max

If the address in the paypal payment is showing as either confirmed or eligable, I'd ship it. But ship it with signature confirmation, because the value is more than $250 and required by paypal for you to have seller protection against non receipt. If you follow paypal's rules you virtually can not lose. Even if paypal later decides the buyer's CC wasn't valid, stolen, etc., paypal will eat it and you will not lose your money.

Yes I know, someone will come along to say that they lost money on an item when they followed paypal's rules. Exceptions do happen but they are very rare when you've adheared to all of paypal's shipping rules. I've only had 2 stolen card claims in 13 years here and in both cases paypal footed the bill and I kept my money.

One of the claims was filed through paypal and the other claim was filed directly from the CC owner to their CC company. And again, paypal handled both of them and released both payments back to me after having put a hold on them.

Charlie
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to antiques-n-oddities

I know that signature confirmation will win against an INR case, but the scam which I am worried about here, which is common in the electronic market (especially Apple products) is a buyer claiming that you sent them a completely different item, as far as I know there is nothing that protects the seller against this scam.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mpf189

Or they will switch case serial numbers or screens with a non functioning phone and claim it doesn't work.

Please use plain text.