eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

chyna41974
Community Member
Accepted Solution

PEOPLE WHO BID & DON'T PAY!!!

I HAVE HAD 2 PEOPLE WHO BID & WON ITEMS & COME UP WITH EXCUSES NOT TO PAY. LAST WEEK SOMEONE WON A WACOM BAMBOO TABLET & SENT ME AN EMAIL STATING HER TEENAGE SON MADE THE BID & FOR ME TO CANCEL THE TRANSACTION, BUT IN TURN ASKED ME TO SEND HER EXTRA PICTURES OF THE ITEM. OK, SO WHAT'S UP WITH THAT, THOUGHT SHE DIDN'T ORDER IT & WASN'T INTERESTED IN THE PURCHASE. I HATE SHADY PEOPLE & CAN'T STAND FOR PEOPLE WASTING MY TIME. TODAY SOMEONE WON A BLACK ZOE COACH BAG & JUST EMAIL ME & STATED SHE WASN'T PAYING BECAUSE I NEVER RESPONDED TO HER EMAIL ABOUT SENDING HER A PICTURE ON THE PRICE TAG. THIS INDIVIDUAL NEVER SENT ME AN EMAIL, SHE'S JUST TRYING TO GET OUT OF PAYING. WHY WOULD I LOSE OUT ON MAKING A SELL. IF SHE WOULD'VE SENT THE EMAIL I COULD HAVE SENT HER A PICTURE OF THE ORINGINAL RECEIPT. THE PURSE WAS USED HAS I STATED ON THE LISTING, BUT I SEE THAT SHE PURCHASED THE SAME BAG NEW FOR $94.00 MORE THAN WHAT I WAS ASKING YESTERDAY. I HAVE RESPONDED BACK TO HER EMAIL & SHE HASN'T CONTACTED ME BACK. MY QUESTION IS: WHAT DOES EBAY DO ABOUT DISHONEST BUYERS? NOW I HAVE TO PAY TO RELIST THE ITEMS.
Please use plain text.
kraloe
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974
So you aren't going to bother filing for the non-payments and getting your Final Value fees back? (Or even getting the buyers to pay?) That's what a seller does when a buyer doesn't pay.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974
When you (the seller) file a Unpaid Item Dispute and the buyer does not pay, they will get an Unpaid Item Strike on their record. When the dispute is closed, you will also get your Final Value Fees back and can relist the item. I have sold for years and by now have heard all of the excuses!!! File and also place them on your Blocked Bidder List, so that they cannot do this again and leave neg. feedback. If you don't file, Ebay does not know that they didn't pay and can not give them the strikes. And next time, please, do not type in all CAPS, it is very hard to read and considered "yelling" Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: PEOPLE WHO BID & DON'T PAY!!!

in reply to chyna41974

I just had this happen and it's quite annoying.  Yes the buyer gets an unpaid item strike but honestly what does that do?

Nothing.  I can't leave negative feedback and I am out the time of the auction, PLUS the time of the unpaid dispute PLUS the time that I have to relist the item... So we are talking almost 3 weeks!

Completely useless as a policy on Ebay.  It's like they screw the seller and the buyer has nothing happen to them.

-Nigel

Please use plain text.
pi_r_square
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974

Yes the buyer gets an unpaid item strike but honestly what does that do?

Two strikes in a year, and sellers can automatically block that ID.

Tip:

Rather than post your rant months after the original question, check the eBay policies to educate yourself on how to block bidders.

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974

It sucks miserably for us sellers because buyers can bid and not pay to infinity if they want. It's free to create an account so you get dumbasses who create an account that day and auto-bid with no intention of paying to begin with to royally screw you over. What now? Their accounts banned....big frickin deal. They make another account for free, continue to screw sellers over. Rinse. Repeat. Very frustrating. Horrible, HORRIBLE seller protection policy.

Those who create a new account and/or have a feedback score of 0 should have to jump through at least a few hoops to ensure their legit bidders.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974

Personally, I don't need members telling me that I'm ranting. It's a legitimate problem, and going through the process of an unpaid item dispute doesn't cut it. Obviously you can't force someone to make a purchase, and no one is suggesting that, but what is the big issue with giving buyers negatives if they don't pay?

I genuinely feel for my fellow sellers who invest time into creating, and watching their auctions. It's annoying watch your item getting bid on by 10 or more bidders, only to have some lame buyer come along, win the item, and welsh.

Strike? Yeah, big deal! So it will restrict them from bidding on items "if" the seller is keen enough to know that they should select the option in their preferences.

How I can have an item as "buy it now," and still not get paid...it's beyond me!

Ebay needs to tighten up. Sellers bring you money, and traffic. It's a joke that I'm constantly dealing with people not paying. I should be able to give them their "strike" sooner, instead of waiting another 8-9 days just to relist it, then watch the selling clock count down all over again.

Bring back negatives for buyers. It's only fair, there are crappy buyers out there. Stop making it so easy for us to have our time wasted.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974

I agree... I have been a member of eBay for year, I don't sell often, but occasionally I have and never had a problem.  Until now.  Which is how I stumbled across this forum.  I purposely placed my used cell phone for bid planning for that auction to end the day before Thanksgiving, in order to avoid Black Friday and all the sales, etc.  The bid before Mr. Zero Feedback Hawaii person had 400 positive feedback (who incidentally wasn't interested in a second chance offer) and had the bid below just $1.50.  I know this isn't going to get what it got last week, I lost out, and now I am waiting to do an unpaid item dispute tomorrow.  The item is already up for relist, I know some invoices and no returned emails that I was dealing with a deadbeat buyer, and honestly I need the money so up again it is.  But I feel like time isn't on your side when selling used things because their resale goes down, especially around the holidays.  eBay needs to get tough on people who bid and don't pay, I mean if if do don't intend to buy it, don't bid, it's that easy.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974

I agree, I am so tired of people winning and not paying.  I am now going to have to list my Raquel Welch wigs for a third time urgggg!  The first time I auctioned them the winner told me she did not have the money in her paypal account and to please sell them to someone else, so instead of filing a dispute (takes too long), I cancelled her winning bid and received my final value fee back and re-listed them again, the auction ends after 18 bids, the high bidder retracts her bid and moves up the second person to be the winner.  This winner tells me she was outbid and was not aware that the winning bidder retracted her bid, so she won, and that she had already purchased another wig.  She does not want to pay for my auction!   Why are there no penalties for these bidders?  a strike against them? (haha)  I can't give them negative feedback, so the seller has no recourse.  Ebay wouldn't be in business without us, they should protect us better than this.

Please use plain text.
silverstrad
Community Member

in reply to chyna41974

stgeorge5-0

This thread was started over a year ago.. the original poster is not going to be returning to read this

However, if you can find this old thread then you can also find all the threads started by buyers who are complaining because they are being blocked from bidding because they have 2 or more UPI strikes.

Yes, UPI strikes do work.

All you have to do is issue them and block bidders with 2 or more strikes,

Please use plain text.
ozric1966
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kraloe

What's worse is that sellers get screwed twice. Not only do we get screwed when the buyers don't pay, but we get screwed by the buyer protection BS that causes many of us sellers to have to wait up to 21 days to get our money released from being held hostage by PayPal/eBay. Buyers have it easy all the way around (even the crappy non-paying buyers). :-|

Please use plain text.
swpshop
Community Member

in reply to davezang
Sorry for you, but eBay makes a ton of money on deadbeat buyers. They still get their fees, they keep any extra fees you paid, especially on eBay motors. Just had a deadbeat bidder that was $400 higher than next bidder, met minimum and ended the sale, then disappeared. EBay was absolutely no help. They got their money and I am the poor sap that now has to pay another fee to relist the item, spent all the time trying to contact the deadbeat, etc.
Please use plain text.
dianeisasoccermom
Community Member

in reply to davezang
I am so sick of getting burned by deadbeat bidders. There has to be away that Ebay can slow this down a bit. Gather more information at registration to make sure that people are setting up more than 1 account.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to davezang
i just sold my car on ebay, the buyer has not contacted me and i read his last feedback and he just flaked out on 2 differnent cars in 1 week!!!a total of 3!!!!!!!if this guy did the same to 2 diffent auctions how can ebay let this guy continue to bid on cars he cant afford? very dissapointed with ebay!!!!!
Please use plain text.
laseba80
Community Member

in reply to kraloe
Hello everyone I am a new member eBay science Long time Have this little problem with a customer He bid on my item twice. the item and then tells me that he let the son play with the phone Now here's my question If anyone of you guys can help me I will appreciate it Ebay will pay me back the Item Oh how it works I hate people waste my time and my money Please if anyone can Help me I will really appreciate
Please use plain text.
rlime186yag
Community Member

in reply to davezang
It is getting to the point that i am about to quit selling on ebay. BUYERS are taking advantage of the 14 day buyer protection that even if we list our items AS-IS NO RETURNS Describe our items perfectly they can still open a case and want a refund even though in our listing it clearly states NO REFUNDS OR RETURNS. So we have to pay fees for ebay and paypal and shipping we are stuck with the bill and the buyers get what they want.
*********BUYERS DO NOT MAKE EBAY MONEY THE SELLERS DO AND WE DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE IT.**********
We always get screwed and eBay and the Buyer laugh at us. It is a hard job selling on eBay and it is not worth it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nigel821
this has happened to me several times and even now I have open non paid case. why does ebay allow this to happen?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nigel821
I am thinking about quiting ebay and going to craigs list instead.
Please use plain text.
thebargainbarker
Community Member

in reply to kraloe
There is no penalty for buyers who waste sellers time and cost us money. We can't even leave honest feedback about them to warn other sellers who might want to exclude a "less than desirable" buyer I have people making accounts to out bid my legit. bidders, then they don't pay so i had to block buyers with 0 feedback. eBay seems only to cater to buyers no matter what they pull on us
Please use plain text.
expo72goodsells
Community Member

in reply to 2bid-is2payforit2
I wish ebay and paypal can charge automatic. As a buyer if you are bidding, means you are willing to pay, so when the bids ends paypal could charge automatic.

I hate to have clients that bid, then do not pay, the merchandise stay there and we cannot sell it until the case is close... It is bad for some good clients too, they probably have a problem with their account, but with too many bad client, is hard as a seller to thrust. Any way sometime I feel frustrated with this kind of clients too...
Please use plain text.