eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

swilkes3
Community Member

How to package a neck tie for mailing

What is a good way to mail a men's neck tie with little postage.  They are so light but I don't want it damaged.  Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
nowthatsjustducky
Community Member

Re: How to package a neck tie for mailing

in reply to swilkes3

Put it in a plastic bag, then put it in a padded envelope.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to swilkes3

Staple gun it down to a stiff board about 10 - 20 staples would do it.

Just kidding  how about roll it as opposed to folding it.

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to swilkes3

1st class parcel.

Probably about $2. online w tracking.

Envelopes can be risky for certain items, because they can be damaged  ripped open in sorting machines.

I use boxes for most everything that cost about 28 cents each small items, I also use tyvek envelopes sometimes, depending on the item.

I like items like ties to stay nice, not wrinkled and wadded up upon arrival, so boxes work nicely for me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

Make sure there are no creases in the tie, some creases can never be removed completely !

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

Are you asking about how to mail it or how to package it?

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to black*max

black*max wrote:

Are you asking about how to mail it or how to package it?

I answered how I do it and what class of mailing I use, since I felt it was important....

:womansurprised::womanhappy::womanvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

"I use boxes for most everything that cost about 28 cents each small items"

Make friends with your local Hallmark (or any gift store) and they'll save you a ton of ornament boxes, picture frame boxes, and all manner of boxes suitable for first class.  I do line them with styrofoam sheets to give them more stability.  I'd probably coil a tie up and put it in an ornament box...:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to catahoulacurry

With the number of boxes I use per year, buying is cheaper than driving around trying to collect freebies.

Plus they are unmarked, clean and new.

Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us
I do not dumpster dive for boxes either. Other than dignified, plus, ya can get caught.

Ask at a tie store how they get them. This is a very good question.

I would think folded over is fine as long as it is not pressed down. Support the bends with bubble wrap, etc.

Then staple gun it down.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to starroute-us

With the number of boxes I use per year, buying is cheaper than driving around trying to collect freebies.

Plus they are unmarked, clean and new.

My Hallmark is a five minute drive away...and their boxes are unmarked, clean and used once.  The little boxes come in a larger box so they have no printing on them.  :smileyhappy:

I do not dumpster dive for boxes either. 

Nor do I, I walk inside their cute little store and they've got them all stacked in a larger box waitng for me.

Please use plain text.
mr.elmwood
Community Member

Cat, I discovered the mother lode of bubble wrap. A computer store not far from me. I now have enough, free, bubble wrap to keep me going for a year.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mr.elmwood

Me too, E.  The guy who runs the furniture warehouse which is on the way to my line dancing class (so I'm not driving all over!), saves regular bubble wrap (a lot of 12 x 12 bubble 'envelopes'--don't know what comes in them)   and other heavier duty bubble stuff, and those thin styrofoam sheets that I break up to line each box, and my latest thing was a trove of large felt covers with drawstrings.  I recently used them to cover my tag sale tables after I got them set up so bird plop wouldn't get on my stuff.  The good thing about them is I can just pitch them because there'll always be more.  One is thrown on a daybed on my porch right now with two fat cats sleeping in the folds. :smileyhappy:

All I'm saying is you don't have to dive, you don't have to use dirty packing, you don't have to waste a lot of time gathering, if you just ingratiate yourself with a couple of people here and there.

Here's a coupla shots of  part of my futility room, formerly my dark room back in the day when I was a photographer. Those small boxes are just right for sending little bottles of perfume or other small items.pakcing supplies0001.JPGpakcing supplies0002.JPG

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

in reply to bizybeez

"Make sure there are no creases in the tie, some creases can never be removed completely !"

I heartily second and third this.

Don't fold it. I sell neckties from time to time and I never fold them.

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

[ Edited ]

That is great! wish I had a store like that close by. I would grab them all day long. 

When I am at the farm I am an hour from pretty much anywhere and nothing.

My other *Town* for me is 2-3 hrs away.

In *town*, I do grab at one store, nice clean ones for larger items. Parcel select mailing. Lamp fixtures etc. If I have the truck hauling stuff, since I get alot at one time.

I love that foam to line boxes for larger items.

Small boxes online are so darn cheap, I usually keep 100 ea of several sizes handy. I order from 2 different online sites, (uline ?? and threeb??)

Nothing worse than to need a certain size box and have to start figuring out a *franken* box. I have a whole area in the basement just for box/supply storage out here. When it town it is much easier, Hopefully by next year.. 

elmwood, I picture you using duck tape and staples!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to starroute-us

Aw, I don't figure E for a fancy duct tape and staples kind of guy.  I'm guessing he's more the baling wire and chewing gum type. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
shabbychicandpink
Community Member

in reply to iknowwhatiswhat

iknowwhatiswhat wrote:

Staple gun it down to a stiff board about 10 - 20 staples would do it.

Just kidding  how about roll it as opposed to folding it.

ROFLMAO!

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

catahoulacurry wrote:

Aw, I don't figure E for a fancy duct tape and staples kind of guy.  I'm guessing he's more the baling wire and chewing gum type. :smileyhappy:

smiley1.jpg Perfect! lol

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to starroute-us

"Nothing worse than to need a certain size box and have to start figuring out a *franken* box. I have a whole area in the basement just for box/supply storage out here."

I know that one!

Every collectible I have is a DIFFERENT SIZE AND SHAPE and it can be a nightmare finding a box that is BIG enough to be safe and SMALL enough to ship without costing a fortune.

I have zillions of flattened boxes, a couple of thousand, all shapes and sizes and yet... when I look for the right box, they are either 1" too small (not safe) or 1" too big (too heavy).

It's not unusual for me to repack a delicate item three times to get the right balance and some are definitely Franken-boxes!

Please use plain text.
starroute-us
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

So funny!

Selling vintage, different sizes and shapened items can and does have its draw backs.

I now have some standard **franken** box shapes I create down to a fine "art" for certain items that are larger since I can never find just the right box that I feel really good about. lol

Please use plain text.