eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
jakeyboytoy
Community Member

How to file a insurance claim with USPS

I recently sold a large Gone With The Wind table lamp. It was well packaged and insured. My buyer let me know today that the lamp arrived and the pot metal base was broke in three places. I'm not quite sure how that happenned as the box was reinforced on all four sides and corners and the base sat upon styrofoam of about three inches. Anyway my question is directed to those of you who have filed an insurance claim. What do I need to do first?  The lamp was shipped in two boxes, I assume they used the same tracking number when I paid for postage on ebay. I'm only showing 1 tracking number on the listing. My buyer is being very nice, I told her to save the packing for postal inspection. Where do I go from here. Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: How to file a insurance claim with USPS

in reply to jakeyboytoy

Funny.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jakeyboytoy

Each box gets its own tracking number. Unless you used two printouts of the same label for the two boxes! If you printed tow labels, there wil be two tracking numbers, check the postage payment transaction in PayPal.

Anyway, go to the USPS.com page and find the instructions for filing a claim online. The buyer's PO might want to look at the damaged package as part of the claims process, so have her keep them for a while.

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to dolly9577

Start here and just follow the instuctions... https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm  it will take them 4 to 6 weeks to process the claim and if you're buyers going to hang on to the item and packaging for you you can just refund them and not have them worrying about wheres my money?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dolly9577

You can file the USPS insurance claim online. They even have a section that asks "Is this for an ebay listing" or some such.  They will want photos of the damage, which you will have to get from your buyer and upload them to the form as well as the buyer's contact information (daytime phone number). 

I did a claim like this for a large porcelain platter that was triple boxed and sent from FL to California. The buyer was most cooperative, and I got a check in the mail from USPS within a week of filing the claim with the pics provided by the buyer and their contact information. 

Understand that buyers do not have to cooperate, which leaves the whole process more complicated. 

Come back if you need more information. 

Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to bubbleman2010
Please use plain text.
bubbleman2010
Community Member

Seems like the cut off point is $150.00 they don't get excited on claims $150.00 and down,but as the dollar amount goes higher they get all goofy...

Please use plain text.
jakeyboytoy
Community Member

Thanks bubbleman, your information is most helpful.

Please use plain text.