eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

tripp_the_lab
Community Member

Global Shipping Opt Out

Has anyone noticed you can now opt out of the Global Shipping Program?

Searched the boards but did not see any posts about this.

http://www.ebay.com/prf/GspPreference

Note: you must be opted in to see the choice to opt out.

Proud member of The Pack of Disgruntled Failures!

Neuter the people, not the dogs!
Please use plain text.
serendipity*sales
Community Member

Re: Global Shipping Opt Out

in reply to tripp_the_lab

I have found that the only way to "opt out" is to remove it as a shipping option.  Easiest way is bulk edit your active listings  and eidt Shipping (international) and change Send to the Us shipping centeroption to "remove from all".

The rates ebay charges are outrageous and they do not combine multiple purchases for a better shipping rate.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to serendipity*sales

I have to say I don't understand it at all.  I keep getting a prompt to accept the user agreement but I thought someone said when you accepted, you were automatically enrolled in GS.  and if you decline, they boot you.  sheesh.  I do not have global shipping ticked in any of  my listings but I don't trust ebay not to suddenly decide I'm opted in.  What to do, what to do.

Please use plain text.
ted_200
Community Member

in reply to catahoulacurry

catahoulacurry wrote:

I have to say I don't understand it at all.  I keep getting a prompt to accept the user agreement but I thought someone said when you accepted, you were automatically enrolled in GS.  and if you decline, they boot you.  sheesh.  I do not have global shipping ticked in any of  my listings but I don't trust ebay not to suddenly decide I'm opted in.  What to do, what to do.

At least as it was when all this first came up (I had a thread on this, it has apparently been deleted prior to the "changeover"), there is no need to "Accept" the User Agreement Update screen when it is offered to you.  It is indeed all a trap to get you to opt in to GSP.  Either the announcement, or the UA itself, has buried in it that your continued use of the site is defacto acceptance of any UA update, and that you can decline the "Accept" screen and continue using the site... most people of course won't know this, and end up enrolled in GSP. 

Community Member

in reply to ted_200

From the UA:

Unless you have previously opted into the Global Shipping Program, we may choose to make your listings available to international buyers through the Global Shipping Program after you have indicated your desire to take advantage of this program by accepting this User Agreement in the form of an electronic click-through. If you do not accept the electronic click-through, you will not be able to take advantage of the Global Shipping Program, but you will still be bound by all other provisions of this User Agreement.

By accepting, you will also be acknowledging that you have read and agree to the Global Shipping Program Seller Terms and Conditions. Those terms will apply to your participation as a seller in the Global Shipping Program and to all of your eligible new and existing listings following acceptance. Those terms include, among other important provisions:

• a third party agreement for the processing, customs, and international shipping services, including your consent to the disclosure of certain personal information in connection with those services,

• a power of attorney authorizing third parties to act in your place to facilitate the export clearance of items that you sell through the Global Shipping Program,

• a description of the items that are ineligible for the program and restrictions on the value, weights, and dimensions of items that may be sold through the program, and

• policies governing the handling of lost, damaged, and undeliverable items, returns, and the resolution of buyer protection claims for items that you sell through the program.

Following acceptance, you may later opt out of the program by adjusting your account settings within My eBay.

in reply to catahoulacurry

I keep getting a prompt to accept the user agreement but I thought someone said when you accepted, you were automatically enrolled in GS.  and if you decline, they boot you

No, they don't boot you....they send you to the page to "close your account". Isn't that nice?  You get to "boot" yourself, so when this news hits Ina's blog, ebay can reply that you selected to remove yourself.......(as opposed to being forced into using the GSP) is tastefully left out. 

Someone reported that they could not sign in to their account  anymore unless they "agreed" to the new UA, and yes, it auto enrolls you in the GSP.   There has been nothing like this that I have seen  in all the years I have been alive. .....and I am OLD.  

Get a new bank account perhaps? Instead of a toaster as a promo, you agree to .......let us sell all your personal information to anyone we choose....don't like it?  Sign here to close your account.  

Want a new car? Pay now, but you agree that we can sell your personal information to anyone we please. ...sign here or you don't get the car.

Maybe the old days of "work camps"...you got an hourly wage, but agreed to .....rent for your cot and tent, coffee, letters sent home, bandages when your were injured, mosquito repellent, .....etc....all being deducted from your hourly wage. ...If you didn't agree, they sent you back in the direction of the desert.????

:From my perspective, the requirement is bizzare.... and probably against some law if somenoe has the energy to pursue it. I sell someplace else most days so they can be as obtuse as they like. 

ebay controls the ropes, and the money. ....if they should say tomorrow, that ALL SELLERS MUST agree to ship to BRAZIL or they can't list anymore......see link to close your account....it would just be another ebay day in wacko land. 

Please use plain text.
ted_200
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

No, they don't boot you....they send you to the page to "close your account". Isn't that nice?  You get to "boot" yourself, so when this news hits Ina's blog, ebay can reply that you selected to remove yourself.......(as opposed to being forced into using the GSP) is tastefully left out.

My experience with this (I was only offered the "click through" UA update once, a couple of months ago...) is that you have two options... "Accept" (maybe it's "Agree"), and "Ask Me Later".  This predated the announcement by a day or so, so I was unaware of the trap.  Still, I was suspicious, having never seen that before (usually, you just Agree by default), and I didn't have time to go over the whole UA right then, so I hit "Ask Me Later".  It did NOT go to the "Close Your Account" page, and it has never asked me again.  But most users have become conditioned to think the alternative is "Close Your Account" - this is the "trick" part, so I suspect the "voluntary" compliance with this was very high. 

Like I said, I haven't seen it recently.  I saw one report that "Ask Me Later" caused it to keep asking, and that person finally relented and "Accept"ed.  I have not seen any one say they went to "Close Your Account" for picking "Ask Me Later"... but maybe things have changed.  The UA also says you can opt out via "Preferences", but that reportedly did not work before... based on recent reports here, the "Opt Out" choice may now be available for those who have opted in.  I have not, and I'm not going to try it out just to see! 

Buy, are you suggesting that the LINK TO OPT OUT NOW ACTUALLY WORKS? 

That would be a hoot. for sure. 

I cliked on the link you provided and got this:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find scgi.community.ebay.com

It may not be due to the link not existing......just saying....

Please use plain text.
ted_200
Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

ittybitnot wrote:

Buy, are you suggesting that the LINK TO OPT OUT NOW ACTUALLY WORKS? 

That would be a hoot. for sure. 

I cliked on the link you provided and got this:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find scgi.community.ebay.com

It may not be due to the link not existing......just saying....

I hadn't tried OP's link... just did, it got me a re-direct to the eBay "Home Page". 

I saw a report from a User today, who was unhappy to discover they'd sold two items to Australia via GSP but did not know they were enrolled, that the "Opt Out" under Preferences is still non-op. 

Community Member

in reply to ittybitnot

It did work when I posted. A seller on the "unhappy seller" thread got it to work for them. I'm thinking it's one of those beta things I stumbled into.

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

That's the page you get to by site preferences/shipping preferences/edit global shipping option.

Yesterday, it did not work, which seemed intended.

Today, it works.

Something must have hit the fan.

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

Thank you Tony.

Please use plain text.
tripp_the_lab
Community Member

You're welcome SG but it seems as if it works intermittently. It lands on a bad page for me now.

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

[ Edited ]

but it seems as if it works intermittently. It lands on a bad page for me now.

Maybe the link itself is dependent upon some login status, and gets cranky.

What does seem to work reliably today is the standard process to opt out, the process which just yesteray seemed to have been deliberately and permanently disabled.

account/site preferences/shipping preferences/GSP option edit

Please use plain text.
tripp_the_lab
Community Member

That takes me to a page that says "You are already enrolled in the Global Shipping Program". People who want out should check it periodically as it seems it will eventually work.

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

That takes me to a page that says "You are already enrolled in the Global Shipping Program"

But it gives you choices, one of which is to opt out, right?

(while any other choice leaves you opted in)

Please use plain text.
johnny52nva
Community Member

The GSP opt-out box is broken, according to my conversation with them yesterday, but it 'will be implemented'. Meanwhile, beware the GSP trap. Seems like seller exposure isn't worth it: you'll get blamed for the shipping fees.

Please use plain text.
johnny52nva
Community Member

in reply to johnny52nva
Update: it just worked! Now, how long until it's not an option?
Please use plain text.
tripp_the_lab
Community Member

No, it's a dead end screen. I did however just try it again and it took me to the OPT out  Here are screens of both.

Bad opt out.jpg

good opt out.jpg

Please use plain text.
sg51
Community Member

I see the 2nd screen.

Yesterday, I saw it too, but the "opt out" button was grayed out, and clicking it did nothing.

Today, it's properly colored, and works.

Hopefully, Ebay has got it that they can't jam too hard here.

Please use plain text.