eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
subbbo
Community Member

Gift card scam?

I recently sold a 50.00 gift card.  The buyer's last transaction date was 3 years ago.  The email they used to pay for the item differs from the name on the ebay/paypal account.  Their shipping address is located in the USA, yet their email used to pay for the item is a yahoo.uk email address.  To top it off, they requested to send the gift card information via EBAY MESSAGE.  

Something similar happened last week to me and quite a few other sellers as I gathered from the feedback on that persons ebay feedback.   Thoughts anyone?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Gift card scam?

in reply to subbbo

You are not talking about a digitally deliveried item, are you? 

Please use plain text.
subbbo
Community Member

in reply to marraloo

I never claimed to deliver the item digitally.  

Please use plain text.
subbbo
Community Member

in reply to subbbo

Last week a scammer purchased over 25 or so gift cards from different sellers and immediately reversed the transactions.  Many of the sellers delivered the gift card information via ebay message and got shammed. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to subbbo

force buyer to give you address and mail it with tracking. that way buyer cant claim you never mailed it. cover yourself from all angles

Please use plain text.
kbnode
Community Member

in reply to 07803

Op,. trust your instincts... 

But i really posted to say those are the best feedback for  buyers i have ever seen lol.  

Please use plain text.
inuk_the_polar_bear
Community Member

in reply to kbnode
An honest buyer would never ask for the untraceable emailed info.
Got Woodie®
Please use plain text.
weaselemu
Community Member

in reply to inuk_the_polar_bear

Not true-I do it all the time if I plan to use it online. I also usually pay with an email address that differs from my ebay address.  The important part of this remains. You need to mail the card in order to show proof of delivery. If you want to give the info via email as well that's your choice and your risk.

Apparently birds are not allowed.
You'll get over it. Or you won't.
weasel
emu
Please use plain text.
subbbo
Community Member

in reply to subbbo

And .......wait for it...

"Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorized access to his PayPal account. As a result, one of the payments credited to your PayPal account has been placed in a temporary hold while we investigate the claim.  PayPal constantly monitors transactions for unauthorized use of accounts in order to maintain the safety of our users."

Please use plain text.